The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alisahami
I’m Iranian but what I said is also true about US and Canada sometimes.

But this is a predominantly UK forum. Do you accept that the jobs market in the UK may be different from Iran, US and Canada?
By all accounts the UK has a saturation of pharmacists, especially young ones.
Do you know the UK market better than the different people that post about their actual experience?
I’m don’t know about you but your arguments are.

maybe you should spend time focusing on your uni exams than put down people who have real jobs with good progression.
Reply 22
Yes. After these arguments I realised that there are some pharmacy graduates who found pre-reg hard or unsuccessful pharmacists who don’t have the creativity and determination to progress through their career or were not ambitious enough to run their own business so find this website useful to nag about pharmacy.
Thats it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by sachinisgod
maybe you should spend time focusing on your uni exams than put down people who have real jobs with good progression.

Ok the man with a job and good progression😂 it was a good chat. See you later the man with a job. Did everyone realise the guy has a job or what? 😂
Just ignore them.
Ok the man with a job and good progression😂 it was a good chat. See you later the man with a job. Did everyone realise the guy has a job or what? 😂

Threads created by you...

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6075046 - Graduate medicine after Pharmacy because you want to do the USMLE?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6071242- Another masters while doing your pre reg at the same time?

Seems like you 'love' UK pharmacy so much right...? You are making yourself look like a moron with every passing post. Just stop and go to sleep. Its past your bedtime.
Reply 26
Original post by sachinisgod
Threads created by you...

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6075046 - Graduate medicine after Pharmacy because you want to do the USMLE?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6071242- Another masters while doing your pre reg at the same time?

Seems like you 'love' UK pharmacy so much right...? You are making yourself look like a moron with every passing post. Just stop and go to sleep. Its past your bedtime.

Ok the man with a job who has enough time to search for my threads all the day 😅
I’m not a pharmacy student yet by the way. A2
Was thinking about doing pharmacy. That’s why I made those threads🙂
lol some kid thinks im going to have sleepless nights because of his online taunts :clap2:
Reply 28
Is me being A2 and 18 your strongest argument ?😉
I have noticed some people saying:
-Pharmacy is a dying career
- there are no jobs for pharmacists
-pre reg jobs are getting competitive

I really don’t get this because back in my country PharmD ( Mpharm in the UK) is super competitive to get into and the grades that u need is sometimes higher than what u need for medicine or dentistry. It’s seems so wired to me when they say it’s gonna be hard to get a job with Mpharm. I mean seriously? Do u think it’s easier to get a job with biomed or a psychology degree? It’s a science master degree after all.
Weirdos !!!

I will add one my grandpa used to say when some of my Aunts entered Pharmacy.

Pharmacists are the higher level for a shop keeper :lol:
I have noticed some people saying:
-Pharmacy is a dying career
- there are no jobs for pharmacists
-pre reg jobs are getting competitive

I really don’t get this because back in my country PharmD ( Mpharm in the UK) is super competitive to get into and the grades that u need is sometimes higher than what u need for medicine or dentistry. It’s seems so wired to me when they say it’s gonna be hard to get a job with Mpharm. I mean seriously? Do u think it’s easier to get a job with biomed or a psychology degree? It’s a science master degree after all.
Weirdos !!!

Hello 🙂 I thought I’d add my opinion... Pharmacy isn’t dying as such but it isn’t really progressive tbh. Most people will work in community pharmacy. There is also a lot of cuts in community affecting how pharmacists work and train. Haven’t heard about many cuts within the hospital.

There are plenty of jobs out there but less in the South of England compared to for example the North - also there is a variation in pay.

Pre-reg places aren’t as competitive as before due to the new centralised system. Also getting into pharmacy isn’t as competitive as medicine or dentistry in this country. This profession isn’t as highly regarded as medicine and dentistry either - not sure why...

Overall, it’s a good degree but you have to love/tolerate the job to be last long in this profession.
Original post by CuriosityYay
I will add one my grandpa used to say when some of my Aunts entered Pharmacy.

Pharmacists are the higher level for a shop keeper :lol:

Original post by WorldPharmacist
Hello 🙂 I thought I’d add my opinion... Pharmacy isn’t dying as such but it isn’t really progressive tbh. Most people will work in community pharmacy. There is also a lot of cuts in community affecting how pharmacists work and train. Haven’t heard about many cuts within the hospital.

There are plenty of jobs out there but less in the South of England compared to for example the North - also there is a variation in pay.

Pre-reg places aren’t as competitive as before due to the new centralised system. Also getting into pharmacy isn’t as competitive as medicine or dentistry in this country. This profession isn’t as highly regarded as medicine and dentistry either - not sure why...

Overall, it’s a good degree but you have to love/tolerate the job to be last long in this profession.

Could you comment on the say:

Pharmacists are the higher level for a shop keeper

Because there surely is more to it than the man selling medicine in the pharmacy, isn't there?
30 years ago my dad wanted to do pharmacy at uni but didn’t get the grades so he did engineering instead. Now engineering is far ahead of pharmacy. Back in them days, pharmacy was one of the strongest careers one could get through education.
Original post by CuriosityYay
Could you comment on the say:

Pharmacists are the higher level for a shop keeper

Because there surely is more to it than the man selling medicine in the pharmacy, isn't there?

Okay I’m gonna briefly outline what a community pharmacist does, I will try to be as honest as I can (please don’t rip me to shreds 😭)

1. Pharmacists do sell medications - over the counter or GSL. But most of the time there will be a technician or counter assistant to do this.
2. Some Main duties include checking prescriptions legally and clinically i.e. finding interactions between drugs, and illnesses, counselling patients on their new and old medications, helping with minor ailments, health promotion and checking dispensed medications (looking for dispensing errors)...
3. Definitely more than a shopkeeper then again some pharmacists don’t do enough (such as counselling) either because they feel they don’t have to or it’s simply too busy to.
Original post by Pezeshki
1- if that’s your definition of equivalent so MBBS is not equivalent to an MD in the US and also a BDS is not equivalent to DDS in US too because they all have to do exams again.
U said that Mpharm is not comparable with pharmD because of the way that students get in that doesn’t make sense again because they do the SAME job after graduation although, UK pharmacist at least get a Chance to become a prescriber but pharmD graduates would never do. It’s not about how you get into the course. It’s about the fact that it’s not possible to get registered if you are not competent.
It takes less years to do ANY other kind of degree in England than North America. Bachelors take four years to complete there unlike here but it does not mean that it’s less demanding to study here.

2-you are right, there are fewer pharmacists who get to that level than retail pharmacists but that’s just due to statistics. Think about it, there are far more pharmacies than the hospitals (almost 12 times more)so obviously there are more retail pharmacists than clinical pharmacists but it doesn’t mean those who are interested can’t make it. BTW about the pay for retail, search retail pharmacist salary in Ireland( where you could use British Mpharm) €80-100k.

Comparing different countries is difficult.

The PharmD is a professional doctorate. It is misinformed comparing them with a lower qualification in another country and then simply saying people are wrong. You seem to like making comparisons and talking about 'clinical pharmacists'. Well let's do those comparisons. To work in a hospital requires postgrad study (working towards or gained), often an MSc. So that MPharm on it's own isn't worth quite as much as you think. An MSc considerably outranks the MPharm which is only an undergraduate degree. Also the prescribing qualification is depending on how you do it a postgrad qualification. So on the one hand you say the MPharm is worth a million times more than a BSc, then you keep on indirectly saying no it isn't because if I do a job that earns more than a 'retail pharmacist' then I need to get extra qualifications. You then resort to usual pharmacy things of saying well it's a master's degree innit.

Why does the undergraduate pharmacy degree have any value? Because it's a regulated job, requiring a pharmacist present every second of the day. Change the regulations for remote supervision or other things and pay will come down further. Get rid of the regulation and in a big chain pharmacy the pharmacists would be earning who knows how much. £10 per hour? £12 per hour?

The average community pharmacist according to Chemmist and Druggist earns £36k. The average pharmacist earns £42k (source ASHE). If you talk to hospital pharmacists it is possible to earn £80-100k, but it's rare. Have a look at the vacancies for pharmacists in hospitals. Some of the bands of mid and higher level pharmacists earn nothing like what you think they do.

Independent prescribing is interesting, but after bigging it up and endlessly going on about it for the last decade I think there are still only about 6000-6500 IPs.

Also there's no need to be a knobber to other people. Pharmacy has quite enough of that thank you very much from the big companies. Yes you're only young and need the information and exuberantly looking forward to your future, but saying things like you don't believe closures happened is ridiculous. Resorting to implication saying things that others do along the lines that people are only posting out of bitterness or failed the pre-reg or got poor A-levels is not on. I have met pharmacists who failed their pre-reg and had to resit, it's not funny. I've seen closures - the sister stores I worked in closed. Yes, really. Not funny. Not even a little bit.
Reply 35
Original post by marinade
Comparing different countries is difficult.

The PharmD is a professional doctorate. It is misinformed comparing them with a lower qualification in another country and then simply saying people are wrong. You seem to like making comparisons and talking about 'clinical pharmacists'. Well let's do those comparisons. To work in a hospital requires postgrad study (working towards or gained), often an MSc. So that MPharm on it's own isn't worth quite as much as you think. An MSc considerably outranks the MPharm which is only an undergraduate degree. Also the prescribing qualification is depending on how you do it a postgrad qualification. So on the one hand you say the MPharm is worth a million times more than a BSc, then you keep on indirectly saying no it isn't because if I do a job that earns more than a 'retail pharmacist' then I need to get extra qualifications. You then resort to usual pharmacy things of saying well it's a master's degree innit.

Why does the undergraduate pharmacy degree have any value? Because it's a regulated job, requiring a pharmacist present every second of the day. Change the regulations for remote supervision or other things and pay will come down further. Get rid of the regulation and in a big chain pharmacy the pharmacists would be earning who knows how much. £10 per hour? £12 per hour?

The average community pharmacist according to Chemmist and Druggist earns £36k. The average pharmacist earns £42k (source ASHE). If you talk to hospital pharmacists it is possible to earn £80-100k, but it's rare. Have a look at the vacancies for pharmacists in hospitals. Some of the bands of mid and higher level pharmacists earn nothing like what you think they do.

Independent prescribing is interesting, but after bigging it up and endlessly going on about it for the last decade I think there are still only about 6000-6500 IPs.

Also there's no need to be a knobber to other people. Pharmacy has quite enough of that thank you very much from the big companies. Yes you're only young and need the information and exuberantly looking forward to your future, but saying things like you don't believe closures happened is ridiculous. Resorting to implication saying things that others do along the lines that people are only posting out of bitterness or failed the pre-reg or got poor A-levels is not on. I have met pharmacists who failed their pre-reg and had to resit, it's not funny. I've seen closures - the sister stores I worked in closed. Yes, really. Not funny. Not even a little bit.

So you are saying that MBBS in the uk is Lowe than MD in the US!!!!!
£10 per hour? 😅 I mean I’m not a pharmacy student yet but this sounds crap. At least have a look at pay scale. Normally £30 per hour
Reply 36
So you are saying that MBBS in the uk is Lowe than MD in the US!!!!!
£10 per hour? 😅 I mean I’m not a pharmacy student yet but this sounds crap. At least have a look at pay scale. Normally £30 per hour

33EF7E25-EC99-4AF3-925B-101687BB0F25.jpeg Just the average
33EF7E25-EC99-4AF3-925B-101687BB0F25.jpeg Just the average

Wouldnt that be rather unsophisticated as it would take into account all employed pharmacists at all levels and differing situations?
Reply 38
Original post by 999tigger
Wouldnt that be rather unsophisticated as it would take into account all employed pharmacists at all levels and differing situations?

Exactly! That’s the average value which is affected by those who work in Tesco so brings the average value down.
Exactly! That’s the average value which is affected by those who work in Tesco so brings the average value down.

Sorry I may just have jumped in. I see and agree with your point. To any pharamcy student to be I would suggest doing your research and understanding post graduation opportunities and the job market. There are lost of detailed posts on TSR from actual pharmacists and students explaining their experience in detail.

Latest

Trending

Trending