Money - how important in it is life. Discuss. Watch

Poll: How important is money in leading a happy life?
Extremely - I will only be happy if i can afford luxuries (10)
12.66%
Very - I will be happy as long as i can live comfortably and not have to worry too much (34)
43.04%
Quite - I will be happy as long as i can provide for myself and my family (20)
25.32%
Not Very - I wouldnt mind things being a little tight as long as I had family and friends and an otherwise good life (10)
12.66%
Not at all - I beleive that our greed for possessions clouds what should be really important to us - community, family and friends. (5)
6.33%
SoundDevastation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
There have been alot of topics cropping up about money, future, careers, salary etc etc so i thought a good old poll was in order.
Sprout_hair
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Id say VERY.
Hedger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Very, very important.
Frannnnn
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
very important in prostitution.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
well since it rules the world. VERY?
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
*waits for the poll*

For me, as long as I have enough to live (afford rent, food, some occasional treats), I'm happy.
J4KE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Of course money is important, but if there's one thing I've learnt from my parents it's that you don't need lots of it to be happy
brightxburns
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, I want things. I want to be able to do things. And I need money to pay for those things...so yes, very important. It's necessary for life.

Money is the difference between these two scenarios:

A - Living in an cold bedsit eating Tesco Value spaghetti hoops and plastic toast, praying that the rats scurrying around your flat will die some point within the next five years so you can rummage for coins to put in the meter, to prevent an awful death-by-hypothermia situation...

B - Eating delicious artisan cheese and olive bread in your large, light, fully-fitted kitchen, looking contentedly out at your expansive, carefully tended garden and planning your next exciting holiday to some far-flung land.
Sprout_hair
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its true that money can't buy happiness.. but u can't really have happiness if u cant even afford the basics in life..
Besides.. luxuries do make me happy!
Poica
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by brightxburns)
Well, I want things. I want to be able to do things. And I need money to pay for those things...so yes, very important. It's necessary for life.

A - Living in an cold bedsit eating Tesco Value spaghetti hoops and plastic toast, praying that the rats scurrying around your flat will die some point within the next five years so you can rummage for coins to put in the meter, to prevent an awful death-by-hypothermia situation...

B - Eating delicious artisan cheese and olive bread in your large, light, fully-fitted kitchen, looking contentedly out at your expansive, carefully tended garden and planning your next exciting holiday to some far-flung land.
And these are the only things that can happen in life.
SoundDevastation
Rep:
?
(Original post by brightxburns)

Theres a difference between what is nescassary and what is important.

If you are part of a society that feeds itself and looks after itself as a whole, then having money is not important because you know that there will be food and there will be shelter, because you have in the past, and will in the future, provide others with food and shelter. I would personally be more than happy in such a society... though obviously its only an ideal, as the world is too money-orientated to allow for such a society.

Either way, its not something that means much to me. Friendships mean so much more.. aslong as I have friends, and as long as i have put my own time and effort into supporting the community, i will in turn be supported.
Christian_j
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Your poll is essentially flawed, although it's a good question!

BrightxBurns is absolutely right, it does make a difference, but you're implying that by having money you leave family and friends behind, which just isn't true IMO - you can absolutely have both!

If you have money, I mean relatively serious money, and get pleasure from spending it on family or buying experiences that people you know will enjoy, that's great - otherwise, and I'm generalising a bit, you'll end up with family and friends, only instead of having a party on the back of a chartered yacht, you could be on some crappy estate with a BBQ.

It's personal preference I suppose - I wouldn't ONLY be happy by having lotsa money, but as far as I'm concerned, it'd be a hell of a lot nicer than the alternative, and that's what keeps me motivated and I have to hold onto it I suppose

I don't think what I've said is shallow or material, it just makes sense to me - am I wrong?
bekahchu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Unfortunately in modern society it seems to be very important, with money comes status etc.

I wish it wasn't so important though.
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SoundDevastation)
Theres a difference between what is nescassary and what is important.

If you are part of a society that feeds itself and looks after itself as a whole, then having money is not important because you know that there will be food and there will be shelter, because you have in the past, and will in the future, provide others with food and shelter. I would personally be more than happy in such a society... though obviously its only an ideal, as the world is too money-orientated to allow for such a society.

Either way, its not something that means much to me. Friendships mean so much more.. aslong as I have friends, and as long as i have put my own time and effort into supporting the community, i will in turn be supported.
Very well said. For me, as long as I can afford the basics, I'm not the main priority. Friendship, and the support of friends, is far more important.
Christian_j
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
But you can have the support of your friends, friendship etc, and still have money...?
brightxburns
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Poica)
And these are the only things that can happen in life.

Naturally. Or you could be rollin' in a Lamborghini and bathing in champagne.
SoundDevastation
Rep:
?
(Original post by Christian_j)
But you can have the support of your friends, friendship etc, and still have money...?
Of course.. im not saying that its either one or the other.. This poll is purely from the money side of things (the notes about friends/community are to back up the latter poll options and to make you think). Obviously You can chose money as being very important and close friendships and a close community... however the friendships and community I am suggesting are of a co-operative nature... i cant imaging people with alot of money doing physical work for the benefit of the community and actually needing the community to benefit them in return... its on a different level.
brightxburns
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SoundDevastation)
Of course.. im not saying that its either one or the other.. This poll is purely from the money side of things (the notes about friends/community are to back up the latter poll options and to make you think). Obviously You can chose money as being very important and close friendships and a close community... however the friendships and community I am suggesting are of a co-operative nature... i cant imaging people with alot of money doing physical work for the benefit of the community and actually needing the community to benefit them in return... its on a different level.
SoundDevastation.. I've been meaning to ask you... Why did you drop out of your Nottingham degree?
randomgirl
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
According to your poll, I'd say very. I'd like to be able to support my family and had the occasional treat without worrying about buying that weeks food shopping and paying the gas bill etc.
WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Having lots of $$$ will usually command respect. It is quite important yeah, but there are more important things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (68)
23.45%
No (222)
76.55%

Watched Threads