Money - how important in it is life. Discuss. Watch

Poll: How important is money in leading a happy life?
Extremely - I will only be happy if i can afford luxuries (10)
12.66%
Very - I will be happy as long as i can live comfortably and not have to worry too much (34)
43.04%
Quite - I will be happy as long as i can provide for myself and my family (20)
25.32%
Not Very - I wouldnt mind things being a little tight as long as I had family and friends and an otherwise good life (10)
12.66%
Not at all - I beleive that our greed for possessions clouds what should be really important to us - community, family and friends. (5)
6.33%
Electric_Dreams
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd say very, according to the poll. I think we'd all like to think that we could survive without money but it is necessary to make life function, imagine trying to live though constant barter!
Whilst money cannot buy you happiness, I believe it can help to make you feel secure, and activate certain areas/things in life that can bring you happiness.
And since I believe happiness is everything, money is therefore fundamental in life.
SoundDevastation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by brightxburns)
SoundDevastation.. I've been meaning to ask you... Why did you drop out of your Nottingham degree?
Because i decided that was not suited to academia.. i was 'channelled' into it, not making any choices but following what was the norm. I originally went to Notts to study Biology with an AAB entry, changed to Plant Science (which i think was BCC or something similar) because i found Biology was mostly vague and irrelevant, then dropped out just before starting third year, suffering from severe depression.

Throughout my uni life i was working extremely hard in the music industry as well as having a weekend job with a large co-operative retail firm - both of which i found more rewarding than uni, and both in which I can see an enjoyable future.. Whereas i knew by then that i did not want to go into science as a career.. and it was making me bloody miserable! I truely hated uni.. student life, the way its run, the SU.. everything. Not for me!
brightxburns
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SoundDevastation)
Because i decided that was not suited to academia.. i was 'channelled' into it, not making any choices but following what was the norm. I originally went to Notts to study Biology with an AAB entry, changed to Plant Science (which i think was BCC or something similar) because i found Biology was mostly vague and irrelevant, then dropped out just before starting third year, suffering from severe depression.

Throughout my uni life i was working extremely hard in the music industry as well as having a weekend job with a large co-operative retail firm - both of which i found more rewarding than uni, and both in which I can see an enjoyable future.. Whereas i knew by then that i did not want to go into science as a career.. and it was making me bloody miserable! I truely hated uni.. student life, the way its run, the SU.. everything. Not for me!
Fair enough! But how did your parents react?
WoWZa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

You know, you could probably complete that course when you feel ready etc.
SoundDevastation
Rep:
?
They were fine.. they'd seen how miserable i had become. They have always brought me up to go my own way rather than follow the crowd and knew id always been an outsider at school.. and they know im intelligent enough to find another path that im more suited to. So yeah, disappointed, but didnt go against it (and it wouldnt have stopped me even if they did)!
Ekpyrotic
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
Not important at all, wouldn't be studying the philosophy of science if it was. Neither is family. Culture, information, and challenging intellectual tasks are only things important to me.
SoundDevastation
Rep:
?
(Original post by WoWZa)
You know, you could probably complete that course when you feel ready etc.
I know. Im sure i will feel ready sometime in the future.. but whether i'll ever want to devote another year of my life to one detail of my CV is another matter!
WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know. Im sure i will feel ready sometime in the future.. but whether i'll ever want to devote another year of my life to one detail of my CV is another matter!
Well that's up to you, but you've already invested two years into it so with one more you should have a degree. And you don't necessarily have to go into your field either.
Paxdax
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I do not intend to spend my life to be obessed by money. However I do need it to live, and therefore choose "Quite"
SoundDevastation
Rep:
?
(Original post by WoWZa)
Well that's up to you, but you've already invested two years into it so with one more you should have a degree. And you don't necessarily have to go into your field either.
yeah.. though unfotunately i dont see it as an investment, rather a waste! I have got an incredible amout from my non-uni related activities in the past two years which i may not have got if i had gone into work immediately, so in that sense it was worthwhile.. but i dunno. If i feel the need/want then i'll finish it, but right now im just happy to be out of there!
WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeah.. though unfotunately i dont see it as an investment, rather a waste! I have got an incredible amout from my non-uni related activities in the past two years which i may not have got if i had gone into work immediately, so in that sense it was worthwhile.. but i dunno. If i feel the need/want then i'll finish it, but right now im just happy to be out of there!
Heh ok. Well I agree with that, and you should carry on and go along with what you think is more suitable and assess whether or not you have the desire to go back to studying!
HJV
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Money is merely a means to an end.

However, in a lot of people's minds, money is an end itself...
SoundDevastation
Rep:
?
i just realised i completely ****ed up the title of this thread. :rolleyes:
HJV
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i just realised i completely ****ed up the title of this thread. :rolleyes:
It's your subconscience wondering how important life is in money, rather than how important money is in life.
Boo_2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't NEED luxuries (who would say they wouldn't want them?), I just want to be able to live in a nice house in an alright area and have money to buy food (obviously), have a few nice things, maybe a car, and be able to afford to go on holiday a few times a year.

But money isn't the most important thing in my life. The last year I've been more broke than ever before due to quitting my job, therefore haven't been going out much, not being able to buy new clothes like I used to, having to budget etc. But I've actually been so much happier than I've ever been for reasons that have nothing to do with money, and now, when I can actually afford to buy a new item of clothing, I spend time choosing it carefully and it feels way more special and exciting, and I get more wear out of things and overall better value for money. Its good training for later life.
Dragonfly07
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I used to think that money doesn't matter at all. It's all about friends and family and what makes you happy. But when you start being independent...

I wish I could think about it the same way as before. Right now, I don't know what I think, so I didn't vote.
Hanzing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would love to say it doesnt matter that much to me, But I would be lying. I really do thing money is very important, however I guess alot of it stems from the fact we never had much when I was growing up and so its the grass looks greener on the otherside type of scenario.
I do think that having money, and not having to worry about it as much would of made somethings in my life such as university experience easier as it is also a constant bane in my life at the moment.
However I think my concept of what alot of money is, is probably very different than others. For me having a 30K a year job would be amazing and I think would make me pretty happy.
SoundDevastation
Rep:
?
(Original post by HJV)
It's your subconscience wondering how important life is in money, rather than how important money is in life.
erm.. i think its actually cause i was so tired i could've fallen asleep at the desk. :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads