RESULTS! A*AAB for medicine? Watch

justgotmyresults
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi there!

(I'm pretty new to TSR. I posted this in the medicine forum but I'm not sure which forum is more suitable for this so don't mind me posting this twice lol)

I just got my A Level Results and (I know this will sound like I'm ungrateful but) I'm a little disappointed ngl :/

A* - Chemistry
A - Maths
A - Biology
B - Physics

I expected an A* in Maths, I knew I hadn't done so well in Physics, and I did NOT expect A* in Chemistry. (I was predicted A*A*A*A, the A in Biology). I haven't applied for any course yet and I really REALLY want to do medicine in the UK.

I have a few questions:
1. Will A*AA only be considered? Or will all four A*AAB be considered and will the B bring me down?
2. Is it worth applying for medicine specifically with the B in Physics?
3. Should I retake A2 Physics to get an A (hopefully) ?

Thank you!
abhinaya1299
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi. Did you get your results online or from school? Or email?
abhinaya1299
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by justgotmyresults)
Hi there!

(I'm pretty new to TSR. I posted this in the medicine forum but I'm not sure which forum is more suitable for this so don't mind me posting this twice lol)

I just got my A Level Results and (I know this will sound like I'm ungrateful but) I'm a little disappointed ngl :/

A* - Chemistry
A - Maths
A - Biology
B - Physics

I expected an A* in Maths, I knew I hadn't done so well in Physics, and I did NOT expect A* in Chemistry. (I was predicted A*A*A*A, the A in Biology). I haven't applied for any course yet and I really REALLY want to do medicine in the UK.

I have a few questions:
1. Will A*AA only be considered? Or will all four A*AAB be considered and will the B bring me down?

Thank you!
As far as I know, A*AA will be considered for medicine.
justgotmyresults
Rep:
?
(Original post by abhinaya1299)
Hi. Did you get your results online or from school? Or email?
I got it online on the CIE website
justgotmyresults
Rep:
?
As far as I know, A*AA will be considered for medicine.
Ah I hope so :') Thank you!
solark
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hey! Those are amazing results, well done! I'm pretty sure A*AA will be considered, especially since physics is not really needed for medicine you should be okay (had the B been in chemistry, it would have been a completely different story). However, if you want to be 100% certain on whether you'd be disadvantaged or not, I'd say you should email the medicine admissions of the universities you're interested in applying and asking them directly
abhinaya1299
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Ah I hope so :') Thank you!
So did you get your results online or email or from school?
justgotmyresults
Rep:
?
So did you get your results online or email or from school?
I got it online from the CIE website
justgotmyresults
Rep:
?
(Original post by solark)
Hey! Those are amazing results, well done! I'm pretty sure A*AA will be considered, especially since physics is not really needed for medicine you should be okay (had the B been in chemistry, it would have been a completely different story). However, if you want to be 100% certain on whether you'd be disadvantaged or not, I'd say you should email the medicine admissions of the universities you're interested in applying and asking them directly
Thank you! I'm a little sad about the B, but I'm SO glad it's physics not any of the others. Will email the universities, thank you again
abhinaya1299
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I got it online from the CIE website
My school didn’t provide me with a username and say they will email the results. Should I ask them again for it?
Nuttyy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
A*AA is all you need, or even AAA at some unis, so the B in physics doesn't matter.

Apply wherever you meet the entry requirements.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Nuttyy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
And I don't think you should retake physics as there is no point. I've never understood why people opt to take 4 A level subjects anyway (unless your college forces you to obv). If you didn't do the additional physics then you'd have easily got 3A*s, which is more than enough for any university you want. However, now you might struggle to get into Oxbridge as a competitive applicant, if that was in your mind.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Nuttyy; 6 days ago
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi there!

A* - Chemistry
A - Maths
A - Biology
B - Physics

I have a few questions:

Thank you!
Your results are fantastic. You'll definitely be a competitive applicant for Medicine at UK universities on just grades alone. The A* in Chemistry will be really impressive I think! :fluffy:

You don't have to retake anything for your application. Universities will not ask you for another grade You have 3 A level grades (A*AA) that meet most necessary boundaries and having another A won't make a difference, especially considering that you don't really need Physics for Medicine. If, however, your B was in either Chem or Bio, then a retake would probably be a good idea.

Focus on UCAT, BMAT, the personal statement and the interview.
justgotmyresults
Rep:
?
My school didn’t provide me with a username and say they will email the results. Should I ask them again for it?
I think you should, unless the email is coming soon
justgotmyresults
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nuttyy)
A*AA is all you need, or even AAA at some unis, so the B in physics doesn't matter.

Apply wherever you meet the entry requirements.
Thank you!
justgotmyresults
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nuttyy)
And I don't think you should retake physics as there is no point. I've never understood why people opt to take 4 A level subjects anyway (unless your college forces you to obv). If you didn't do the additional physics then you'd have easily got 3A*s, which is more than enough for any university you want. However, now you might struggle to get into Oxbridge as a competitive applicant, if that was in your mind.
Yeah, wish I didn't take Physics, but what's done is done I guess. I was planning on Oxbridge but now...
justgotmyresults
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Your results are fantastic. You'll definitely be a competitive applicant for Medicine at UK universities on just grades alone. The A* in Chemistry will be really impressive I think! :fluffy:

You don't have to retake anything for your application. Universities will not ask you for another grade You have 3 A level grades (A*AA) that meet most necessary boundaries and having another A won't make a difference, especially considering that you don't really need Physics for Medicine. If, however, your B was in either Chem or Bio, then a retake would probably be a good idea.

Focus on UCAT, BMAT, the personal statement and the interview.
Thank you so much, will do. Gotta start preparing for the entrance exams haha!
Vetrix42
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm planning on doing History + Triple Science did you find that 4 A-Levels hindered you? Or what is that you found Physics hard?
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Vetrix42)
I'm planning on doing History + Triple Science did you find that 4 A-Levels hindered you? Or what is that you found Physics hard?
There is literally no advantage in doing 4 A levels. I'm sure the OP on this thread can even attest to the fact that doing 3 and getting better grades is better than doing 4 and spreading yourself too thin.
Vetrix42
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
My school forces us to do 4-A-Levels and statistically speaking students who do 4-A-Levels get better grade than people that do with 3-A-Levels as they tend to actually be good at the subjects they are taking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.81%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (331)
63.53%
Not yet but I am planning to (25)
4.8%
Not yet but I might (67)
12.86%

Watched Threads