Congratulations on your results, they are amazing

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
Nuttyy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by justgotmyresults)
Yeah, wish I didn't take Physics, but what's done is done I guess. I was planning on Oxbridge but now...
You may as well apply tho. 'Can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.'

A*AA might meet the requirements, just double check. My point is that youll be competing against people with 3A*s, but it's still worth a shot. 1/4 options
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Abi)(M
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The B won't disadvantage you, unis only look at 3 grades. The only reason to redo it would be to have A*A*A instead of A*AA, but if you were to do this you may as well just retake one of your A's instead...
Nautilus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How come you already have your results when the rest of the country will have to wait until Thursday?

Congratulations BTW
adri2000
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i thought results day was on thursday
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Its results day today for International A levels
justgotmyresults
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Vetrix42)
I'm planning on doing History + Triple Science did you find that 4 A-Levels hindered you? Or what is that you found Physics hard?
I think it was a combination of both. I found AS Physics pretty easy tbh and I did well, but A2 is when things (the study material and questions) got harder. If I had taken 3 subjects I could have focused on them and done better than A*AA.

On the other hand, if I had done better for Physics (say I got an A*) it would've given me even better grades I guess :')
justgotmyresults
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Congratulations on your results, they are amazing

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
Thank you so much
justgotmyresults
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nuttyy)
You may as well apply tho. 'Can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.'

A*AA might meet the requirements, just double check. My point is that youll be competing against people with 3A*s, but it's still worth a shot. 1/4 options
Yeah, I think there's no harm in applying.

The requirements are A*AA at Oxford and A*A*A at Cambridge (though I've heard of A*AA offers at Cambridge for medicine). Never know unless you try haha
justgotmyresults
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abi)(M)
The B won't disadvantage you, unis only look at 3 grades. The only reason to redo it would be to have A*A*A instead of A*AA, but if you were to do this you may as well just retake one of your A's instead...
I really hope so, thank you!
justgotmyresults
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Its results day today for International A levels
Yup, my board is CIE
(Original post by adri2000)
i thought results day was on thursday
It's today for CIE A Levels

(Original post by Nautilus)
How come you already have your results when the rest of the country will have to wait until Thursday?

Congratulations BTW
Thank you! It's today for CIE A Levels
abhinaya1299
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think you should, unless the email is coming soon
Got the email. A* Biology B in Chemistry and Math.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there!

(I'm pretty new to TSR. I posted this in the medicine forum but I'm not sure which forum is more suitable for this so don't mind me posting this twice lol)

I just got my A Level Results and (I know this will sound like I'm ungrateful but) I'm a little disappointed ngl :/

A* - Chemistry
A - Maths
A - Biology
B - Physics

I expected an A* in Maths, I knew I hadn't done so well in Physics, and I did NOT expect A* in Chemistry. (I was predicted A*A*A*A, the A in Biology). I haven't applied for any course yet and I really REALLY want to do medicine in the UK.

I have a few questions:
1. Will A*AA only be considered? Or will all four A*AAB be considered and will the B bring me down?
2. Is it worth applying for medicine specifically with the B in Physics?
3. Should I retake A2 Physics to get an A (hopefully) ?

Thank you!
Congrats remember only around 8% of grades are A* and 25% are A, do to get this across the board is an excellent set of results! These academics are absolutely solid and fine for medicine. Assuming your applying next year, i would just get ready BMAT, PS and everything else.

You've done the hard bit now try and smash the rest of the application.
Examsareoversoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oxford would be an option for you, but not Cambridge with the B in physics. Congrats on your results though!
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My school forces us to do 4-A-Levels and statistically speaking students who do 4-A-Levels get better grade than people that do with 3-A-Levels as they tend to actually be good at the subjects they are taking.
Really? Do you have a reference for this?
For medicine applicants 3 A levels plus volunteering, work experience and supracurriculars are more than enough
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My school forces us to do 4-A-Levels and statistically speaking students who do 4-A-Levels get better grade than people that do with 3-A-Levels as they tend to actually be good at the subjects they are taking.
Please don't tell me that's why your school makes everyone take 4 A-levels
anonymousamk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wow I wish I was smart as u
Vetrix42
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Please don't tell me that's why your school makes everyone take 4 A-levels
They are required by Ofsted to offer a diverse curriculum and so are other really high-achieving schools. They ask the students to do 4-A Levels with one being a facilitating subject.
Vetrix42
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Really? Do you have a reference for this?
For medicine applicants 3 A levels plus volunteering, work experience and supracurriculars are more than enough
https://www.compare-school-performan...8&orderdir=asc

If you go on that link it shows Government Ranking of schools and filter it to A-Level Grade. The trend you'll see if you go on the school website and there Results Day. Is that the most of the students do 4-A-Levels with only a few dropping one. https://www.brightoncollege.org.uk/n...-results-2018/ - This link is to the 'best' Private School.

https://www.hbschool.org.uk/374/admissions/year-12 - This link is to the best 'state' school and in their admission policy it refers that everyone must take 4 A-Levels.

In summary, you can see the pattern. The best school do 4 A-Levels. Universities can't discriminate between students with three and four A-Levels. But they are aware of schools that are compulsed to do 4 A-Levels and that reference from their '4th subject' makes it blatant.
Last edited by Vetrix42; 1 week ago
Nuttyy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They are required by Ofsted to offer a diverse curriculum and so are other really high-achieving schools. They ask the students to do 4-A Levels with one being a facilitating subject.
Lol, so you're telling me OP missed out on Cambridge because they went to a high performing school and shouldve 'statistically' done better as they did 4 A levels? What a joke lol. If OP did 3 A levels they could've easily got 3A*s as there are less subjects to focus on, thereby have a shot at Cambridge. Following on from what you said, OP would've done worse, had they done 3 A levels. What sort of BS logic are you spewing out? 😂😂😂.
Last edited by Nuttyy; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%