Goldengirl2002
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys I just got my igcse results and they aren’t really good . I was wondering if it’s even worth doing medicine at this point . I got
History -A*
Geography -A
English Language -A
English literature -A
Business -A
Biology -A
Spanish -A
Chemistry -B
Maths -C
Last edited by Goldengirl2002; 1 month ago
Nuttyy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That maths will bring you down a fair bit . Any way you could resit maths and bring it up to atleast a B?

The entry requirements for most unis require a B (or even A) in English and Maths.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nuttyy)
That maths will bring you down a fair bit . Any way you could resit maths and bring it up to atleast a B?

The entry requirements for most unis require a B (or even A) in English and Maths.
Do you also think that the B in Chemistry may disadvantage OP?
Goldengirl2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Yeah I was also thinking that. so would I have to Resit math and chemistry
Last edited by Goldengirl2002; 1 month ago
Nuttyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It could, but just checking UoM requirements, it doesnt specifically ask for Chem to be at an A.

Name:  Screenshot_20190813-121626_Chrome-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  90.3 KB
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Goldengirl2002)
Yeah I was also thinking that. so would I have to Resit math and chemistry
Your B in chemistry is only an issue if applying for med schools that score GCSEs, as most of those will include chemistry (as well as Biology, Maths and English), but your GCSE results are fine overall for all med school's minimum requirements (except Bristol) if you can increase your maths to a B/6. Then you will need a good UCAT when the time comes to allow strategic application to places that will not care about your GCSEs
Last edited by GANFYD; 1 month ago
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Following on from the above,
you won't need to re-sit chem (at least I wouldn't think so) as you should be taking it to A-level- you will need to get an A in that though
Goldengirl2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Following on from the above,
you won't need to re-sit chem (at least I wouldn't think so) as you should be taking it to A-level- you will need to get an A in that though
I’m actually doing IB instead of A levels
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Same advice applies, you'll need to do HL Chemistry and get a 7 (or maybe a 6). Some medical schools might accept SL chemistry with HL Biology, but they will probably expect a second HL science/maths subject, which due to the structure of IB means you'd need to take HL Maths (which I wouldn't recommend in your case). I highly doubt they would consider ESS an acceptable second science subject at HL.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Would you be able to take A levels instead of the IB? I think it's generally easier to get better grades on A levels than it is on the IB.
Goldengirl2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Same advice applies, you'll need to do HL Chemistry and get a 7 (or maybe a 6). Some medical schools might accept SL chemistry with HL Biology, but they will probably expect a second HL science/maths subject, which due to the structure of IB means you'd need to take HL Maths (which I wouldn't recommend in your case). I highly doubt they would consider ESS an acceptable second science subject at HL.
I actually took HL bio,chem and geography and SL maths (AI),Spanish and English( language and literature )
Goldengirl2002
Rep:
?
Would you be able to take A levels instead of the IB? I think it's generally easier to get better grades on A levels than it is on the IB.
The thing is I go to an international school in the Middle East and right now they only offer IB😕
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The thing is I go to an international school in the Middle East and right now they only offer IB😕
Ah, I understand. In that case, do your best and good luck! :fluffy:
Kroznox
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys I just got my igcse results and they aren’t really good . I was wondering if it’s even worth doing medicine at this point . I got
History -A*
Geography -A
English Language -A
English literature -A
Business -A
Biology -A
Spanish -A
Chemistry -B
Maths -C
Great set of results! I have to agree math was a little difficult this year :/
Goldengirl2002
Rep:
?

Also do universities even accept resits ?
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also do universities even accept resits ?
For GCSE stuff, quite a few do (I don't want to say all in case), but you'd be resitting maths or english normally
You just need a 7 (maybe a 6) at HL bio and chem
Nuttyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
For GCSE stuff, quite a few do (I don't want to say all in case), but you'd be resitting maths or english normally
You just need a 7 (maybe a 6) at HL bio and chem
If you've done the resits for the GCSEs and got your results by the time you apply then I don't see how they would even know it was a resit. On your ucas application, from what I remember, you just put the grades in. Even if you do have to put the dates in, I doubt Unis would care. Resits matter about A level where the top end unis and top courses might not allow it. That's something you'll have to research on each university's website.
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you've done the resits for the GCSEs and got your results by the time you apply then I don't see how they would even know it was a resit. On your ucas application, from what I remember, you just put the grades in. Even if you do have to put the dates in, I doubt Unis would care. Resits matter about A level where the top end unis and top courses might not allow it. That's something you'll have to research on each university's website.
They would know as you must declare all exam results on UCAS so any resits would show twice. Some care about GCSE resits, some do not.
There are no top end unis where medicine is concerned, they are all considered equal and each uni sets its own resit policy
afsfs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd say don't bother, medicine is too hard anyway just do another different health science course like optometry or paramedic or.... whatever
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You need to put down all results- including resits. It will be on your statement, so yes they do know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (10)
5.81%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (98)
56.98%
No (64)
37.21%

Watched Threads