bellesville2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I am currently going onto my third year in an arts college, but I want to drop out because:
1. I don't see an arts degree necessary for my line of work
2. I already have comfortable job offers for my industry even without a degree, most of them just hire you based on your portfolio and connection
3. It might not be worth it paying the final year of my school fees

I want to change my major to psychology... and my question is, can I apply to a psychology conversion masters course using a diploma in higher education?

Or where can I go from here if I decide to stop pursuing arts 'academically' because I already have a stable flow of jobs and clients in that aspect..

If I drop out now, I will be awarded with a diploma in higher education. I'd rather spend the next one year working on the projects I am offered than to 'study' because my arts college practically isn't good at educating either.

But my worry is that I would need a degree to pursue a psychology conversion course, and that a DipHe will not be sufficient for that.
Last edited by bellesville2; 1 year ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bellesville2)
Hi, I am currently going onto my third year in an arts college, but I want to drop out because:
1. I don't see an arts degree necessary for my line of work
2. I already have comfortable job offers for my industry even without a degree, most of them just hire you based on your portfolio and connection
3. It might not be worth it paying the final year of my school fees

I want to change my major to psychology... and my question is, can I apply to a psychology conversion masters course using a diploma in higher education?

Or where can I go from here if I decide to stop pursuing arts 'academically' because I already have a stable flow of jobs and clients in that aspect..

If I drop out now, I will be awarded with a diploma in higher education. I'd rather spend the next one year working on the projects I am offered than to 'study' because my arts college practically isn't good at educating either.

But my worry is that I would need a degree to pursue a psychology conversion course, and that a DipHe will not be sufficient for that.
Speak to your university to suspend your studies for a year (that keeps your options open to go back if need be).

A masters course will generally need a full undergrad degree (or at least a lot of experience alongside a diphe). It might be worth speaking to Open University to see whether they’ll let you transfer your credits from your current degree and then take part time psychology modules to get a full BA (it would be an “open” award as it would be a mixture of subjects). That would be a good basis for a masters application.

What are you hoping to do with your masters? There’s often other pathways available
bellesville2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you for your reply.

Guess there are a few things I hope to achieve through my masters:
1. I want to be pursuing something else academically other than art (I have realized after two years I don't want to graduate with arts as my major, as it is not worth it)
2. The other part of me wants to study psychology because I have a growing interest for it, I have a diploma in a humanities field (before university) and I always liked the humanities subjects
3. Besides that, I feel that as an arts practitioner, I need knowledge from another field - to continually inspire me. I don't think that artists should go to art school, especially those who have already got their technical skills honed. (In this digital age where you can practically learn everything online) 

And in the past year was when I realized I have a passion for psychology. But for now, I am unsure what I’d do with the masters degree. Basically, I want to pursue it because I want to study it and it will be for the sake of the love of knowledge I have towards psychology rather than for a career path (for now). However, I am not sure about the doors and pathways that will open up in the future. I also liked the idea of being interdisciplinary, and I would like seeing the world through another discipline, instead of just living life soley as a 'creative practitioner'. With my masters, if I were to stop my current career, I am able to work as something else as well.

All I know is that an arts degree is not worth it, and I may not need it at all. If I were to pursue something academically, I'd hope it's something else.

I have also recently collaborated with psychologists using my art, to communicate their ideas to a digital audience. And it has made me realize how much I really do have a passion for that field, especially in the area of developmental psychology, and I'd want to do something with children perhaps in the future.
Last edited by bellesville2; 1 year ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bellesville2)
Thank you for your reply.

Guess there are a few things I hope to achieve through my masters:
1. I want to be pursuing something else academically other than art (I have realized after two years I don't want to graduate with arts as my major, as it is not worth it)
2. The other part of me wants to study psychology because I have a growing interest for it, I have a diploma in a humanities field (before university) and I always liked the humanities subjects
3. Besides that, I feel that as an arts practitioner, I need knowledge from another field - to continually inspire me. I don't think that artists should go to art school, especially those who have already got their technical skills honed. (In this digital age where you can practically learn everything online) 

And in the past year was when I realized I have a passion for psychology. But for now, I am unsure what I’d do with the masters degree. Basically, I want to pursue it because I want to study it and it will be for the sake of the love of knowledge I have towards psychology rather than for a career path (for now). However, I am not sure about the doors and pathways that will open up in the future. I also liked the idea of being interdisciplinary, and I would like seeing the world through another discipline, instead of just living life soley as a 'creative practitioner'. With my masters, if I were to stop my current career, I am able to work as something else as well.

All I know is that an arts degree is not worth it, and I may not need it at all. If I were to pursue something academically, I'd hope it's something else.

I have also recently collaborated with psychologists using my art, to communicate their ideas to a digital audience. And it has made me realize how much I really do have a passion for that field, especially in the area of developmental psychology, and I'd want to do something with children perhaps in the future.
In that case I'd definitely recommend looking into using OU to transfer your DipHE credits and top up on psychology modules to get a full degree from them. You can study part time alongside your work, you can get student finance for your tuition fees and you get the benefit of pursuing psychology academically without "wasting" the DipHE you've already achieved
http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/apply/credit-transfer is their page on credit transfer
http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/qd is information about their "Open" qualifications - which is what you'd likely end up with as your final BA award combining Art credits with OU psychology modules
and
http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/find/p...nd-counselling (scroll down) has a list of all the psychology modules available to you.

Make sure you get some good advice on transferring your credits and what modules you need to get your final BA award though to save duplicating any efforts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (401)
56.32%
I don't have everything I need (311)
43.68%

Watched Threads