Do I have a chance of getting into USA college with full financial aid?

Watch
Blue_penguin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, so I have a pretty long question.
I'm on my last year in high school in Croatia and have been planning to go abroad for college. My first choice is Netherlands simply because we have some family friends there and I'm welcome to stay with them and later on find a dorm. Recently I googled a bit and found this agency that helps you with applying to colleges and read that they can help you with getting a full financial aid for USA colleges (of course the ones that offer financial aid).
It has been my dream to study and work there.
In first and second grade my overall "GPA" was 3.7 ( we have a 1-5 scale) which is a loose B; that happened due to some problems I had which really made me depressed and miss a lot of school,then in third grade I managed to get 4.5 which is an A. As you can see I really fixed my grades and I plan on getting a 4.8 this year. Except that, I go to 2 extra curricular classes- debate club and film group and went on a debate competition.
My problem is that I have straight As (5s) in english, history, debate and in every book report or essay, but have a D (a 2) in math. I always heard that those top schools accept only the ones with 4.0 GPA and a 1000 of extra curriculars etc. It ruins my whole GPA and I know that the schools in USA are very selective so could anyone please tell me does that matter so much? If I write an excellent essay, motivational letter and write my SATs good could that overshadow my GPA? Also, I don't plan on studying anything math-based, I want to go to law school. Finally, do I have any realistic chance of getting into any US college that offers full financial aid?
Last edited by Blue_penguin; 1 year ago
smscku
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Universities here tend to look at applicants more holistically. But for the limited number of merit scholarships available to international students, you would need to be at the top in all categories to receive them, and apply in advance- they will require a separate application.
However, there are some schools that have more funding available for merit scholarships for int'l students. You should look into those schools. Even for home students there are RARELY scholarships that are fully funded. In most cases full financial need scholarships are made with grants and loans, and student loans are not available to int'l students.
https://www.timeshighereducation.com...#survey-answer
This article has some information about the types of financial aid and a few schools who offer different types of aid for international students. But realistically you should not expect to get a 100% scholarship at any school (like I said, even if you were a US student you should not expect this).
smscku
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also, keep in mind there are literally thousands of universities in the US. If you research schools with international scholarships, and apply to a lot, you are sure to get in somewhere. I'm not positive but I would think that most merit scholarships are based on SAT/ACT score and GPA, so once you have an idea of those things you can figure out which scholarships you are eligible for. There is also no limit to the number you can apply to. However cost is a factor because each application costs money, there is no cap on application spending.
Blue_penguin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by smscku)
Also, keep in mind there are literally thousands of universities in the US. If you research schools with international scholarships, and apply to a lot, you are sure to get in somewhere. I'm not positive but I would think that most merit scholarships are based on SAT/ACT score and GPA, so once you have an idea of those things you can figure out which scholarships you are eligible for. There is also no limit to the number you can apply to. However cost is a factor because each application costs money, there is no cap on application spending.
Thank you, you've helped a lot😊
And I'm counting on spending money on applications and preparations for SATs that's not a problem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (65)
21.96%
Excited but a bit nervous (134)
45.27%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.16%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.61%

Watched Threads