Google it. Watch

z-hog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Google Brexit and Trump, for instance:

Altogether, there are 6 Guardian links, 4 BBC, CNN, Huff Post, Indy are in there too. FT makes an appearance, so does the Daily Express with a piece that can be construed as anti-Trump. That's it for the front page of a search on them.

What I mean is that when people google these topics looking for information, they are served an almost exclusively leftist menu. Conspiracy or luck of the draw?

You can try it yourself, pick a few topics and Google them. Then run a search on the same topics elsewhere, you may find that the Daily Mail comes up top on Trump searches with most other engines, I couldn't find it in the first three pages of Google searches. Same thing with Brexit, the Mail figures in every search other than Google's.
Last edited by z-hog; 5 days ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 days ago
Because it follows an algorithm based on most searched for.
If you want Fox News, Russia Today, Al Jazeera, 4chan, then put that in your search.
Use a different search engine if you dont like it.
Prussianxo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It's almost as if people are unhappy with Trump and Brexit
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Have you considered seeking gainful employment rather than spending your time on TSR ranting about left wing media bias or whatever is upsetting you today?
z-hog
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Because it follows an algorithm based on most searched for.
That's what I thought it might be but there's something that doesn't add up: when I use Bing or Yahoo, a search on Brexit places the Daily Mail at the top, after all the sponsored content and where the search truly begins. As you say, that will be the perfectly impartial algorithm at work. When we google Brexit, there's no mention of the Mail at all. Not only on their front page, not anywhere into a few pages and surely not after that. Do you have any idea of how that may be explained, I can't see one but then I'm no scientist. Is it because Mail readers don't use Google as a search engine, could it be as simple as that?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by z-hog)
That's what I thought it might be but there's something that doesn't add up: when I use Bing or Yahoo, a search on Brexit places the Daily Mail at the top, after all the sponsored content and where the search truly begins. As you say, that will be the perfectly impartial algorithm at work. When we google Brexit, there's no mention of the Mail at all. Not only on their front page, not anywhere into a few pages and surely not after that. Do you have any idea of how that may be explained, I can't see one but then I'm no scientist. Is it because Mail readers don't use Google as a search engine, could it be as simple as that?
Have you though that different search engines have different algorithims. Just use the one you like.
z-hog
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Have you though that different search engines have different algorithims. Just use the one you like.
This isn't about what I like, having just found out that the Daily Mail is excluded from searches on Brexit or Trump I am curious as to why that might be. Your algorithm doesn't fully explain it, that's all. All guesses welcome, no conspiracy theories here. Just facts.
z-hog
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)
Have you considered seeking gainful employment rather than spending your time on TSR ranting about left wing media bias or whatever is upsetting you today?
Why don't you stop making silly remarks and join in like a grown-up, why do you think Google are blocking the Mail? Of course that the 'conspiracy theory' is that it's because of politics but there could be another explanation. Any ideas?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by z-hog)
This isn't about what I like, having just found out that the Daily Mail is excluded from searches on Brexit or Trump I am curious as to why that might be. Your algorithm doesn't fully explain it, that's all.
It isnt excluded its simply further down the list of results as its a lying sack of ****, plus the algorithm fact fully explains it. You're more than welcome to drop google a line and ask them to explain it for you...
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by z-hog)

Altogether, there are 6 Guardian links, 4 BBC, CNN, Huff Post, Indy are in there too. FT makes an appearance, so does the Daily Express with a piece that can be construed as anti-Trump. That's it for the front page of a search on them.

What I mean is that when people google these topics looking for information, they are served an almost exclusively leftist menu. Conspiracy or luck of the draw?

You can try it yourself, pick a few topics and Google them. Then run a search on the same topics elsewhere, you may find that the Daily Mail comes up top on Trump searches with most other engines, I couldn't find it in the first three pages of Google searches. Same thing with Brexit, the Mail figures in every search other than Google's.
Try this with a divisive right wing figure like the “Duchess of York”.

The Daily Mail’s coverage of Fergie comes in at about 50 on Google’s search engine somewhere below Russia Today and the University of Huddersfield.

The Daily Mail is the world’s most successful newspaper website. It is an enormous cash cow for its owner bringing in tremendous worldwide advertising revenue in direct competition with Google.

I can’t think of a reason why Google wouldn’t want to promote this direct competitor.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by z-hog)
This isn't about what I like, having just found out that the Daily Mail is excluded from searches on Brexit or Trump I am curious as to why that might be. Your algorithm doesn't fully explain it, that's all. All guesses welcome, no conspiracy theories here. Just facts.
Except that none of us work for Google so pretty much everything here will be speculation.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
It isnt excluded its simply further down the list of results...
Where?

(Original post by nulli tertius)
Try this with a divisive right wing figure like the “Duchess of York”..
OK, if you do that and click on Top Stories you'll find a Daily Mail link. That doesn't happen with Brexit or Trump.

(Original post by SHallowvale)
Except that none of us work for Google so pretty much everything here will be speculation.
No, it's facts. You're attempting to speculate.
z-hog
Rep:
?
The Daily Mail is the world’s most successful newspaper website. It is an enormous cash cow for its owner bringing in tremendous worldwide advertising revenue in direct competition with Google.
But somehow they are not a threat to Bing or Yahoo, obviously. When you search 'Duchess of York' on those engines, the Daily Mail comes up on the front page straight away, no problems there. However, you say that Google suppress the Mail because they fear the competition. Really?

Why do the Mail come up at 50, what criterion makes Google relegate to where nobody will find it? Sandwiched between some nobodies, what determines that? Whatever the Google 'algorithm' is, it's not what other search engines are doing and... we know what it's all about, really. Maybe they have caved in to the leftist mobs wanting to ban the Mail from public life, we have such characters in these very pages.

The whole talk of Russian manipulation of the web is no more than a diversionary tactic to hide the true picture, a typical leftist tactic.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by z-hog)
No, it's facts. You're attempting to speculate.
You've written this thread because you've found that Daily Mail articles do not immediately come up in Google searches as they would do in Bing/Yahoo searches. That's the only fact you have presented.

We can only speculate as to why this is the case. Regardless of what we may think is the cause of this, none of us will know for sure since none of us both work for Google and are responsible for their search engine feature(s). You can't say "All guesses welcome, no conspiracy theories. Just facts." since guesses aren't facts.
IPEguy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by z-hog)

Think like a statistician. Who is googling these terms? Right wing people? No it’s going to be mostly left wing people I would guess. Much like googling Greenpeace Scandal would likely come up with lots of right wing articles.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by z-hog)
But somehow they are not a threat to Bing or Yahoo, obviously. When you search 'Duchess of York' on those engines, the Daily Mail comes up on the front page straight away, no problems there. However, you say that Google suppress the Mail because they fear the competition. Really?

Why do the Mail come up at 50, what criterion makes Google relegate to where nobody will find it? Sandwiched between some nobodies, what determines that? Whatever the Google 'algorithm' is, it's not what other search engines are doing and... we know what it's all about, really. Maybe they have caved in to the leftist mobs wanting to ban the Mail from public life, we have such characters in these very pages.

The whole talk of Russian manipulation of the web is no more than a diversionary tactic to hide the true picture, a typical leftist tactic.
The relegation of the Daily Mail is endemic.

Here is the man in charge at the Daily Mail moaning about it

https://support.google.com/webmaster.../7466306?hl=en

He is an article about him moaning about it.

https://searchengineland.com/daily-m...or-help-317926
z-hog
Rep:
?
(Original post by SHallowvale)
You've written this thread because you've found that Daily Mail articles do not immediately come up in Google searches as they would do in Bing/Yahoo searches. That's the only fact you have presented.
That's right but there is an awful lot more stuff doing the rounds to suggest Google may be politically biased.

We can only speculate as to why this is the case.
Right again, I speculate by making the political motivation the most likely scenario. You believe that to be wrong but I could be right.
z-hog
Rep:
?
(Original post by IPEguy)
Think like a statistician. Who is googling these terms? Right wing people? No it’s going to be mostly left wing people I would guess. Much like googling Greenpeace Scandal would likely come up with lots of right wing articles.
Have you tried googling Greenpeace Scandal?
z-hog
Rep:
?
The relegation of the Daily Mail is endemic.
Brilliant, innit?

Here is the man in charge at the Daily Mail moaning about it
By moaning you mean this:

The day after the broad core algorithm update (June 3rd) we saw a massive drop in Search traffic from Google (lost 50% of daily traffic). This was a drop over the course of 24-hours and we have not made any changes to the site. Further, we saw our Discover traffic drop by 90% and has not improved. This is across all verticals, devices, AMP and Non-AMP.

My site is: dailymail.co.uk

What's bizarre is that we have a much more pronounced decline in the UK vs. the US. This is weird b/c the UK is our home region and historical drops have always been much more prominent in the US.
Not sure where you're headed with this, is your opinion that Google are perfectly neutral when it comes to politics?
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by z-hog)
That's right but there is an awful lot more stuff doing the rounds to suggest Google may be politically biased.

Right again, I speculate by making the political motivation the most likely scenario. You believe that to be wrong but I could be right.
Like what? What do you have to suggest that Google has a political bias? I don't have any opinion on this and you've yet presented any reason/evidence that Google themselves are politically biased.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.81%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (331)
63.53%
Not yet but I am planning to (25)
4.8%
Not yet but I might (67)
12.86%

Watched Threads