I dropped my retainers in boiling water, can I still use them? Watch

LokAz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I don't typically use forum websites but I couldn't find an answer anywhere to what my question was, I found a few people in similar situations, however my question is if I dropped my retainers in boiling water (which I have), but I put them back in and they still fit, can I still use them without them having any negative effects such as making my teeth even worst opposed to if I didn't wear them?

Also just before people ask, they don't feel that uncomfortable and to be fair, they don't feel that much tighter, I had them in the boiling water for about 20 seconds and as soon as I took it out and noticed, I immediately forced myself to wear it to attempt to mould it into place.
Last edited by LokAz; 1 week ago
GreyAngus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If they feel fine, they probably are!

When I first had my retainers, I did the same, having not been told a lot about how to look after them. They were in there for under a minute so not long enough to do any damage to the shape or otherwise.

If they don’t feel like they’ve changed (they should be applying pressure to your teeth the same level and places as before), and your orthodontist doesn’t pick up on any changes the next time you see them, it’s all good. Otherwise, if you want to be on the safe side, just let them know when you see them. Hope all goes well with them!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
DrTSR
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
LokAz
Rep:
?
(Original post by GreyAngus)
If they feel fine, they probably are!

When I first had my retainers, I did the same, having not been told a lot about how to look after them. They were in there for under a minute so not long enough to do any damage to the shape or otherwise.

If they don’t feel like they’ve changed (they should be applying pressure to your teeth the same level and places as before), and your orthodontist doesn’t pick up on any changes the next time you see them, it’s all good. Otherwise, if you want to be on the safe side, just let them know when you see them. Hope all goes well with them!
Alright! At the moment they feel fine and if they change I'll be sure to reschedule my next appointment to a little earlier just to make sure, it's worried me since it happened earlier this morning and I just wanted to get some confirmation about it . Thank you!
DrTSR
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The boiling water may have altered the shape of the retainer, and so there is the risk of the retainer acting as an orthodontic appliance. This means the retainer may move your teeth to fit its new shape. I can't assess the extent of this risk as I can not see your retainet, models, or mouth etc.

My advice would always be to get a new one made if possible if youre concerned.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
LokAz
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrTSR)
The boiling water may have altered the shape of the retainer, and so there is the risk of the retainer acting as an orthodontic appliance. This means the retainer may move your teeth to fit its new shape. I can't assess the extent of this risk as I can not see your retainet, models, or mouth etc.

My advice would always be to get a new one made if possible if youre concerned.
Alright, thanks for the advice! I believe they're fine but to be honest I cannot be sure so I'll make sure to get in touch with my orthodontist as soon as possible to push an appointment. Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%