Soteria3
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys I wanted to hear about all of your views on right to die. I have a relative who is currently in a very serious position and he cannot be saved as per the doctor. What do you think?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In principle I am for it, but the practicalities, especially regarding the increased marginalisation of already marginalised people, mean I am not sure that it can be implemented in a way that I'd be comfortable with.

Then again, perfection is seldom found in any process in life (or indeed death)
username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If i’m suffering severely and i ask you to let me die then you let me die...
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If everyone has the right to live, everyone has the right to die when they choose as well. Obviously it's an extremely complicated matter and there will always be the ethical issue of consent and understanding but I don't see why someone with a painful, terminal illness - for example - should be forced to suffer through it.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t see why anyone should get to dictate when someone else can die.
DarrenDaka
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree with the idea of self-determination , the person should choose if they want to die etc

Ethically assisted death is difficult and at present the law doesn’t allow it as far as I am aware . Furthermore the laws around capacity , and best interest will most likely be used in such situations.

On the other hand we also have to ensure that the choice is the individuals and there’s to make alone free of coercion, pressure etc

Overall I agree with the idea of dignity in death but the practicalities of its implementation in regards to killings oneself are a legal and ethical mine field at present. I feel that everyone should be able to live and die in anyway they choose with dignity free of pressure and coercion.
Soteria3
Rep:
?
(Original post by NoTearsLeftToCry)
If i’m suffering severely and i ask you to let me die then you let me die...
What if you are medically incurable. What's your say then?
Soteria3
Rep:
?
(Original post by DarrenDaka)
I agree with the idea of self-determination , the person should choose if they want to die etc

Ethically assisted death is difficult and at present the law doesn’t allow it as far as I am aware . Furthermore the laws around capacity , and best interest will most likely be used in such situations.

On the other hand we also have to ensure that the choice is the individuals and there’s to make alone free of coercion, pressure etc

Overall I agree with the idea of dignity in death but the practicalities of its implementation in regards to killings oneself are a legal and ethical mine field at present. I feel that everyone should be able to live and die in anyway they choose with dignity free of pressure and coercion.
I believe that medically assisted dying should be available to all mentally competent adults with incurable health problems that reduce their quality of life permanently below the level they are willing to accept, provided this is their own persistent request. Unlike Dignity in Dying (the largest UK assisted dying campaign group), I do not think this option should be restricted to those who are terminally ill with a prognosis of 6 months or less. Many people are left incurably suffering for longer than 6 months. Doctors are not always able to give an accurate 6 month prognosis. Doctor opposition to the 6 month criterion was one of the reasons why recent attempts to introduce assisted dying legislation was rejected.{This was from the campaign My Death, My Decision, I don't support or follow them just wanted to put this out there}
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
only God decides who lives and who dies, no one else.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
Not even ourselves?
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Not even ourselves?
not even ourselves.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Murderers presumably do. As does, like, anyone who eats food or drinks water.
Last edited by nexttime; 1 year ago
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Murderers presumably do. As does, like, anyone who eats food or drinks water.
God ultimately decides.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
God ultimately decides.
God forces people to murder against their free will? Interesting view.
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
God forces people to murder against their free will? Interesting view.
yeah, I didn't say that... nevermind 😁
Lifelessanddumb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Soteria3)
Hey guys I wanted to hear about all of your views on right to die. I have a relative who is currently in a very serious position and he cannot be saved as per the doctor. What do you think?
I do think that if someone is in pain and has lost all will from illness then they should have the right to end their life
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.7%
Uncertainty around my education (191)
15.22%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (137)
10.92%
Lack of purpose or motivation (179)
14.26%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (56)
4.46%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (70)
5.58%
Loneliness (110)
8.76%
Financial worries (44)
3.51%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (58)
4.62%
Exposure to negative news/social media (58)
4.62%
Lack of real life entertainment (67)
5.34%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (111)
8.84%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (115)
9.16%

Watched Threads