The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Is coventry university that bad ?

I got an offer to Coventry University for a Masters in Public Health Nutrition. I have gotten a lot of mixed reviews about the school, some say it’s good and some not so good. I just want to know if it’s a bad decision to go or not

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kiaraaaaaaaa
I got an offer to Coventry University for a Masters in Public Health Nutrition. I have gotten a lot of mixed reviews about the school, some say it’s good and some not so good. I just want to know if it’s a bad decision to go or not

I attended Coventry for my undergrad.

I would say socially its decent but limited. Its got a few nights out which good but theres basically 1 club per night so if you get board you cant do a lot else.
The SU is average.
Facilities are also fairly average.
Prestige is poor.
Value for money is good.

If you can go to a RG or more 'prestigious' uni, i would do that. If you end up here its not that bad, just keep expectations realistic 😂
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Loool this isn’t encouraging 😭😭. But thanks for your honest advice 😊. Does it affect employability tho ? like do job recruiters shove you aside because your degree says Coventry university ?
Nah coventry is decent but go somewhere better because my mate got CCD and on clearing he was offered business management so they're bareee desperate g
Loool this isn’t encouraging 😭😭. But thanks for your honest advice 😊. Does it affect employability tho ? like do job recruiters shove you aside because your degree says Coventry university ?

In most graduate jobs no, they dont really care that much about institution.

If you want to work in Goldman Sachs, Blackrock or McKinsey, then obviously they wont look at Coventry, but then again this is the same for most UK unis. So for elite super competitive jobs, yes it will hold you back, in general no.
I study Engineering in Cov uni. Honestly, education wise, it's really good. the lecturers try make it interesting etc, so its more enjoyable to learn. Social wise, there are a few clubs in Cov. Sometimes, Me and my flat mates used to travel all the way to birmingham lmfao and then get an uber back afterwards. It costs a lot but was worth it. I'm off to my second year now and cant wait for uni to start again lol
Original post by Anonymous
I study Engineering in Cov uni. Honestly, education wise, it's really good. the lecturers try make it interesting etc, so its more enjoyable to learn. Social wise, there are a few clubs in Cov. Sometimes, Me and my flat mates used to travel all the way to birmingham lmfao and then get an uber back afterwards. It costs a lot but was worth it. I'm off to my second year now and cant wait for uni to start again lol

Are you Thomas perrins?
Reply 7
It's really not that bad. A family member went there then got into UCL afterwards, now they have a really high paid job so it hasn't held them back.

If you put the work in you can do well from anywhere.

Although, it is a really physically ugly university and Coventry itself is not very nice!

There was a video of some girls fighting in the university library. However, I think they were actually school children using the facilities.
Original post by OddOnes
It's really not that bad. A family member went there then got into UCL afterwards, now they have a really high paid job so it hasn't held them back.

Although, it is a really physically ugly university and Coventry itself is not very nice!

There was a video of some girls fighting in the university library. However, I think they were actually school children using the facilities.

I saw that, it was those muslim ones 😂😂in hijabis too
Original post by OddOnes

Anyone can get in the library as long as they have a card. College students, sixthformers, etc all come in the library to study.

It's not as bad - it's just a stupid stereotype that ex-polytechnics (Cov Uni is one of them) are worse universities; therefore, they don't have that prestige as, for example, unis from Russell Group.
If you have already checked UniStats, and reviews of your course are good, there is nothing to be worried about.
(edited 4 years ago)
Ive studied at Coventry Uni and a RG uni.

The RG was better. Better employability, course content was more rigorous/academic, SU was way better, facilities were better, the students are clearly of a higher academic caliber.

Coventry does do cheap subsidised trips tho, very cheap rent, very easy to get good marks.

But overall I would pick the RG uni every time.

In my opinion, studying at the RG uni doesn't guarantee that quality of teaching of the specific course will be higher comparing to other uni.

And it depends what student expects from uni - personally, I'd rather hands-on approach over being more academic.

As a perfect example, see the post below from another topic:

Original post by lukedt1
Hey Olivxr!

Finally someone replies! I know this is a difficult choice especially this being such a niche course that few do or even know about. For me
I am going for Coventry. Go to applicant days and see where is best for you! I won't say where you should go as it is your choice. Coventry are more interested in the individual and are more friendly as they want you to be in first name basis but Loughborough you call them sir/Dr. Coventry offer multiple trips both nationally and internationally that Loughborough don't. They have a higher student satisfaction for the course the Loughborough and are better in this industry, they have links with the Emirates university in Dubai. I have been to both applicant days and from what I have seen, Coventry care and are interested in you especially if you are interested in the course. If you've done work experience in the industry they really like that but in Loughborough they give the impression of they don't care. That is what I got when I told both places of my work experience at Qatar Airways. Yes, the lecturers at Loughborough are definitely qualified but none have worked in the field, so how can they properly teach. All lecturers in Coventry have worked in the industry and now teach in it with their degrees. I have a friend on the course at Coventry and he absolutely loves it. I am accepting Coventry as my first choice as I believe they are the best option for this course. As a uni Loughborough is better but course wise it isn't. But as they said in Coventry, you go where you want and where will make you happy. I just believe that Coventry will be that place for me. I have a lot more to say but not enough space to write it all. I really hope this helps and if you need more help please please just ask.

Luke :smile:
Coventry just spoon feeds students fairly trivial level content. If you want to be taught very easy content with exams given to you, not to 'examine' you but just to make sure everyone passes and gets a 2.1 or 1st then Coventry is probably the right choice. Im not trying to be facetious but the academic standard at Coventry is a joke,

If you want to learn your subject in depth to the highest standards by subject experts and be pushed then go to a RG, you also get way better facilities, better SU, more money for sports and engagement. You also get better exit opportunities.

Coventry does push year-in-industry way more than RG unis tho.

What course did you study? And when did you study it?
What course did you study? And when did you study it?

Mechanical engineering, graduated last year
Mechanical engineering, graduated last year

Just curious, did you graduate with a first? Also did you do MEng? If not how come?
Just curious, did you graduate with a first? Also did you do MEng? If not how come?

Graduated with a first (had one every year), I was going to do the MEng but dropped to the BEng so I could do my masters at another Uni, which ive completed this year.
Graduated with a first (had one every year), I was going to do the MEng but dropped to the BEng so I could do my masters at another Uni, which ive completed this year.

What Uni did you go to? And how was it? I imagined it would be harder to study in a different University because of the different teaching styles etc. Do you know what you got?
Ive studied at Coventry Uni and a RG uni.

The RG was better. Better employability, course content was more rigorous/academic, SU was way better, facilities were better, the students are clearly of a higher academic caliber.

Coventry does do cheap subsidised trips tho, very cheap rent, very easy to get good marks.

But overall I would pick the RG uni every time.

Southampton got a bronze in teaching.
Nottingham

I didnt find anything wrong with the teaching they just dont spoon feed you, I would say you actually have to learn the course material to a much higher standard then at Coventry, at Coventry if you learn the tutorials your basically set to get an extremely high score, they dont do this at Nottingham, you have to be able learn the underlying content rather than just memorising tutorial examples turn up and get a high mark.

I actually enjoyed the content more this year, I think a more rigorous standard makes it more engaging.

My mark is yet to be determined at Nottingham as a postgrad masters is 3 semester rather than 2, so i have to wait a few more weeks to find out.

Oh okay. I assume you went to Uni of nottingham. I was planning on going to Nottingham Trent, however after going to a few open days, I realised that Coventry is based suited for me. I'm studying Civil Engineering in Cov, the first year was alright for me. I'm still not sure if I regret not going Nottingham tho. Anyway, good luck with what ever you're going to do next. I assume a placement? or straight into a job?
It's nothing to shout about. But there are worse places you can go in the UK and definitely better places also. For a masters it's probably not a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest