Gordon Brown: Good or Bad PM? Watch

jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
In pretty much every topic on this forum, people seem to engage in Gordon bashing. Rarely do they explain why, and rarely is there actually a reason for it, and rarely is it actually on topic.

I'd be interested to hear people's reasons for thinking he is a good or bad PM.

Personally, I think he's done a very good job, has handled his role well, has created some useful initiatives to further enterprise and improve education, and whilst not having the public charisma of Blair or Cameron is actually very very good at the job he does. Though I know most people these days seem to hate him, but I'd be interested to hear some attempts at actually explaining why...
Bubblebee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Because people these days don't know they are born :p:

No matter how good a government is people will hate it, we live to complain and love to hate someone in the public eye. Also a good portion of tsr members are tory/have had a tory upbringing, they've been bred to think that way.
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
He's good to laugh at, that's for sure, but I can't quite see past the media bias well enough to make up my own opinions on the man.
jgupta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
oh god -please make this a poll!!
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I quite respect Brown. But then as a Labour party member, I would wouldnt I
jgupta
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
I quite respect Brown. But then as a Labour party member, I would wouldnt I
Out of interest, would you have rather had Blair remain in office?
Touche
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
"no more boom and bust"
Arminius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ok, i'll give you my reasons.

1) He is the chancellor that has presided over the housing bubble but done little if anything to limit its growth or help first time buyers.

2) He was going to call an election, then didn't because it diddn't suit him. Generlaly speaking Brown seems much more interested in holding onto power than doing anything useful with it.

3) He seems to support expanding wellfare payouts and stealth taxation, both things i am against.

4) He used to boast about the benefits of deregulating finance, then used the taxpayer to save northern rock when things went wrong.

5) He has resorted to PR gimmicks on a number of occasions, something i (thought) we might have seen the last of with Blair. But no, Gordon seems keen to learn all the sleezy, dishonest tactics of tony.

6) He appears to be a control freak - darling is a puppet imo.

7) He has neglected the armed forces, in terms of funding and support over the Iraq war.
helraizer
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm not really one for politics but I have to say, at least when Tony Blair was PM he actually had an air about him. Gordon Brown doesn't seem to have any presence about him. Kernel Sanders has more.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jgupta)
Out of interest, would you have rather had Blair remain in office?
I prefered Brown out of the two of them. Also I feel that 10 years is a long time to be running the nation, so Blair had to go eventually. I personally doubt he could have won a 4th election as well.
tis_me_lord
Report 11 years ago
I hate Gordon Brown - do I have a real reason besides wanting to moan about whatever politican is currently in power?

Yes, actually, I do.

I always felt that the Blair-bashing was a little hard on the fellow. However the Brown bashing is not, and I am not even going to discuss economics (let's be generous and say that is Americas failings having a global effect.)

My 'beef' with Brown is on social factors. Making cannabis a class B drug against the advise of health experts was a disgrace to this country. Ok so that sounds like I'm over-reacting but look at the principle involved, he is willing to put his citizens into prisons when they don't deserve to be - just because it happens to be popular among your common folk to be "hard on drugs." Brown is no idiot, he knows cannabis should be legal, he just simply does not care about civil liberties.

Need more proof? Detention without trial - I rest my case.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Touche)
"no more boom and bust"
He has succeeded. The Tories when in managed 15% inflation on numerous occasions, along with the ERM disaster.
Bagration
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Anyone that nationalises anything is a bad prime minister.
tis_me_lord
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Bagration)
Anyone that nationalises anything is a bad prime minister.
Even railways? Because privitising them sure as hell didn't work very well!
jgupta
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
My 'beef' with Brown is on social factors. Making cannabis a class B drug against the advise of health experts was a disgrace to this country. Ok so that sounds like I'm over-reacting but look at the principle involved, he is willing to put his citizens into prisons when they don't deserve to be - just because it happens to be popular among your common folk to be "hard on drugs." Brown is no idiot, he knows cannabis should be legal, he just simply does not care about civil liberties.

Need more proof? Detention without trial - I rest my case.
I agree...the 42 day detention and class B things are just Brown trying to pass himself off as a 'strong leader', desperate, however, to appeal to soft-core conservative voters
Axiom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
He's on the slippery slope towards being the worst prime minister since Eden. And this is coming from someone who liked Blair.
Axiom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
Even railways? Because privitising them sure as hell didn't work very well!
British Rail was atrocious. The current system is hardly brilliant, but it's still superior to the bad old BR system.
tis_me_lord
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jgupta)
I agree...the 42 day detention and class B things are just Brown trying to pass himself off as a 'strong leader', desperate, however, to appeal to soft-core conservative voters
And what do we want from a leader?

One who will do the wrong thing to stay in, for the sake of having power. Or one who will actually make the best choices for his people, even if it means losing power.

And there, my friends, is the problem with state-intervention. They don't have the best interests in the right place!
Master Polhem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
foot and mouth crisis (twice)
farm payments
pensions theft
gold reserves
tax credits
Iraq war
under funded ill-equipped Forces
PFI
Home Office failures
uncontrolled immigration
NHS in tatters
school standards at the lowest ever
thousands of knee jerk badly written laws
rampant EU fraud
EU ignoring its own people
EU referendum promise reneged
Treaty/ constitution
Northern Rock
HMRC
Lost data – child benefit and dvlc
Donorgate
Cash for Honours
Single families
Economy in complete tatters
First time buyers taken out of market
Rich and poor divide becoming bigger
Plenty of tax rises – both direct and indirect
Uncontrolled private sector
Crime out of control
Young deaths
Guns on our streets
NO ELECTION
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Arminius)
2) He was going to call an election, then didn't because it diddn't suit him.
Did he ever say he will call an election? No. I agree that he should have brought an end to all the speculation earlier on, but let's not lie.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
7.31%
They might tell the bully (26)
10%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.15%
It might lead to more bullying (94)
36.15%
There's nothing they could do (79)
30.38%

Watched Threads