Gordon Brown: Good or Bad PM? Watch

jonskibeat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TheTourist)
I think people tend to forget the work he done as Chancellor, He clearly knows his stuff
Yes, I'm very impressed by his ability to stuff things up. In fact, debt as a % of GDP is will top out at 79% and the finances are in the worse state since the second world war. And yes, that includes the 80's.

Just wondering if Hopping Mad Kangaroo might be hopping by to answer my other questions above?
mart123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by digitaltoast)
Yes, I'm very impressed by his ability to stuff things up. In fact, debt as a % of GDP is will top out at 79% and the finances are in the worse state since the second world war. And yes, that includes the 80's.

Just wondering if Hopping Mad Kangaroo might be hopping by to answer my other questions above?
Depends what data you look at for debt as a % of GDP, it is still not as high as many other countries and before the credit crunch it was lower than some major European countries.
jonskibeat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mart123)
it is still not as high as many other countries and before the credit crunch it was lower than some major European countries.
OH well, that's OK, as long as it USED to be better, let's not worry about the future! And at 80% we'll be up with Bhutan, Israel, Jordan and Morocco. Nice and sunny.

I'm surprised a spokesdork hasn't announced that we're having "our strongest year ever"...
mart123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OH well, that's OK, as long as it USED to be better, let's not worry about the future! And at 80% we'll be up with Bhutan, Israel, Jordan and Morocco. Nice and sunny.

I'm surprised a spokesdork hasn't announced that we're having "our strongest year ever"...
What would you have done then? Not bailed out the banks? I don't think that was a viable option.
jonskibeat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What would you have done then? Not bailed out the banks? I don't think that was a viable option.
Mmmm, I have a better idea - why not be proactive instead of reactive, have a clue what you're doing, and not fill your government with people who think like Peter Mandelson? Let's have a Mandy quote: "New Labour are intensely relaxed about people getting filthy rich." . Mind you, knowing of Mandy's preferences, I should imagine being "intensely relaxed" would be high on his agenda anyway...
Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
He's been a **** PM, just the same as he was a **** chancellor.
Everyone harps on about the unprecedented growth that we had while he was at the treasury, but what do they say is the reason why our national debt is skyrocketing and is going to be higher than any other G20 country? It's because he spent beyond what we could afford.

This worries me immensely, and this figure is from last year. 375% of GDP in 2008?! Christ Almighty!
mart123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
why not be proactive instead of reactive
Weren't most governments reactive. I can't see your point here.
Mick Travis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's a global problem.......

Caused by whom? Bankers? 3 of the 5 largest banks in the world, yes the world are based in London. Gordon Brown continually as Chancellor lauded the City's light touch regulation of financial markets. Many of his European counterparts warned him against it, but he couldn't be bothered to listen to them (witness him taking off his headphones at EU finance ministers' meetings, before getting up to speak again and just repeating what he had said before). So the banking system failed, thanks largely to the UK and US and who was responsible for regulatin the UK banks - the FSA - a totally useless bureaucracy created by Brown. The levels of debt in britain are not global, no-one forced them upon us. Brown was happy to support a crazy debt-fuelled house-price boom just so long as it didn't burst before he got into No.10.

'He's not the only one making decisions'

According to former Head of the Civil Service (not normally known for exaggeration) Andrew Turnball, Brown leadership in the Treasury was Stalinist. He was a complete control freak and made sure to make as many of the decisions as he could. Even when he was warned about potential policies - such as over regulating banks and taxing pensions - he ignored them.

Of course it's not fair to simply judge a government on its economic policies. So what else is going on? There's the smearing of opposition MPs and their families. There is the arrest of an oppositon front-bencher, who according to the Director of Public Prosecutions was only doing his job. Browns Home Secretary doesn't think this is a big deal. Is this Britain or Zimbabwe? MPs are fleecing the taxpayer and having abstained from a vote on it last year and refused cross-party co-operation Brown cynically and embarrassingly via youtube tries to come up with his own plans ignoring the independent commitee which is currently investigating. He is an obsessive machine politician who has no respect for anyone or any thing.
mart123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mick Travis)
Gordon Brown continually as Chancellor lauded the City's light touch regulation of financial markets.
And David Cameron was calling for further deregulation of the markets only a few years ago. It wasn't as if everyone was criticsing him for deregulation, nearly everyone supported him doing it and i would prefer to have Brown and Darling in charge of the economy as opposed to Cameron and Osbourne every time.
Mick Travis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
And David Cameron was calling for further deregulation of the markets only a few years ago. It wasn't as if everyone was criticsing him for deregulation, nearly everyone supported him doing it and i would prefer to have Brown and Darling in charge of the economy as opposed to Cameron and Osbourne every time.
'Nearly everyone supported him doing it'

Who is everyone? As I said, a lot of people in other countries thought it was foolish. The Liberal Democrats did at least raise the personal debt issue. The media is owned by rich people who supported the government. Many experts weren't convinced, though.
jonskibeat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not a good week for Gordon Brown-shirt! Defeat over Gurkhas, defeat over expenses, and the current most popular petition on the number 10 site?
See for yourself http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/list/open?sort=signers
jonskibeat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't know about anyone else but this is interesting...
Pablo Sevilla
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Totally incompetent PM, lacks any sort of leadership qualities, comes across as extremely weak, unpassionate and clueless...And that's on a good day.
BlackpoolCraig
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
An absolutely terrible Prime Minister who has ruined the country.

I want a bloody general election.
Pablo Sevilla
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/please-go/
jonskibeat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Pablo Sevilla)
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/please-go/
With nearly twice the next most signed petition
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/list/open?sort=signers
Thunder and Jazz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be honest if there was a social crisis as opposed to an economic one (imagining for a moment the two aren't linked) he'd be even further up the creek than now, possibly even out of Parliament by now.

True he's made economic mistakes like selling our gold early (can't resist a popular example) but he's done a good enough job on that front to my mind. He's not done badly on the international stage. He seems to truly care about this country although his recent commons defeat makes me question this assertion.

All in all I think he is good at being a dictionary definition Prime Minister. However, since the role is becoming more like a President , he needs to improve his media capacity and public perception if he is to have any chance in the next election.
abstraction98
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
To be honest if there was a social crisis as opposed to an economic one (imagining for a moment the two aren't linked) he'd be even further up the creek than now, possibly even out of Parliament by now.

True he's made economic mistakes like selling our gold early (can't resist a popular example) but he's done a good enough job on that front to my mind. He's not done badly on the international stage. He seems to truly care about this country although his recent commons defeat makes me question this assertion.

All in all I think he is good at being a dictionary definition Prime Minister. However, since the role is becoming more like a President , he needs to improve his media capacity and public perception if he is to have any chance in the next election.
A fair and well thought out analysis. ^
Thunder and Jazz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by abstraction98)
A fair and well thought out analysis. ^
Why thank you sir.
Prince Rhyus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
From a comment in the Torygraph:

Political Insight

While stitching up the hand of a 75 year old Devon farmer, who cut it on a gate while working cattle, the rural doctor struck up a conversation with the old man. Eventually the topic got around to Gordon Brown and his appointment as Prime Minister.

"Well, you know," drawled the old farmer, "this Brown fellow is what they call a fencepost tortoise." Not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a fencepost tortoise was. The old farmer said, "When you're driving along a country road and you come across a fence post with a tortoise balanced on top, that's called a fencepost tortoise."

The old farmer saw a puzzled look on the doctor's face, so he continued to explain, "You know he didn't get up there by himself, he definitely doesn't belong up there, he doesn't know what to do while he is up there, and you just have to wonder what kind of idiot put him up there in the first place".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (140)
17.83%
It's just nice to be back! (212)
27.01%
Not great so far... (281)
35.8%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.36%

Watched Threads