Gordon Brown: Good or Bad PM? Watch

jonskibeat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
To be honest if there was a social crisis
As opposed to the widening poverty gap and falling educational standards and increased crime we've been hearing about just this week?

He seems to truly care about this country
So much so that it's not just me that notices a hideous bias against the majority of this country's population. I pointed out a while ago on TSR that Brown's No.10 Youtube Channel only has well-wishings and respectful dhimmitude for Muslims (3 greetings for Ramadan and Ede, not a single mention of Christmas and Easter). Now the papers have picked up on the foreign office doing the same:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle6211398.ece

They are trying to decide which religious festivals deserve messages from Mr Miliband. This follows a complaint that he sent greetings at Ramadan, but not at Christmas. A Foreign Office spokesman explains: “We are now consulting with stakeholder managers and the diversity strategy unit.”
Whatever the hell consulting with stakeholder managers and the diversity strategy unit actually means.

All in all I think he is good at being a dictionary definition Prime Minister.
And his career is dictionary definition, too. As in, career: going downhill rapidly and out of control
However, since the role is becoming more like a President , he needs to improve his media capacity and public perception if he is to have any chance in the next election.
Good to see you're more concerned with perception than substance. Ever thought that's why the LibDems haven't got too far? Not that I wouldn't mind seeing them given a chance.
Thunder and Jazz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by digitaltoast)
As opposed to the widening poverty gap and falling educational standards and increased crime we've been hearing about just this week?
I believe I said that the two were linked, and if I didn't I will correct myself here and state that they are. The widening poverty gap is one of my chief worries, and despite such measures as a national minimum wage and Brown's more recent assertions that he is "stung" by people's negetive perception of him (last conference speech I believe) it is still widening.

I have not watched his various youtube offerings, I will do so now. As a wider public policy, positive discrimination, bias towards pleasing certain minority communities etc is not an answer to the country (or the world)'s problems in my belief.

And his career is dictionary definition, too. As in, career: going downhill rapidly and out of control
Made me laugh, nice comment. Not that every leader's career goes downhill all the time but its pretty regular.

Good to see you're more concerned with perception than substance. Ever thought that's why the LibDems haven't got too far? Not that I wouldn't mind seeing them given a chance.
Good to see you missed the point. I did not once say that I was glad that he would have to do this. As it happens Brown is, I believe, the most capable of all of the leaders of the main parties in terms of eperience, knowledge and ability. However, he is not showing it at the moment and should not really be allowed to make any more mistakes of the calibre he is e.g. the Gurkha defeat. On the other hand, Darling is less impressive for me than the other two economic spokesmen.

If you want my view on percaption, its that in this media driven age you need to be able to communicate your ideas, goals and arguments with the electorate. Brown constantly spouting economic babble is not going to impress the average voter in Edinburgh South, and consequently people find it hard to relate to him (in my opinion). On the other hand, I would move that Clegg is much better at this, along with Cable. I don't trust David Cameron at all but I admit he is far better at the perception side of things. But where is the substance?
Mick Travis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's hard to think of a more incompetent communicator in politics than Gordon Brown. I don't agree that it is always necessary to speak well - for a while Brown's record as Chancellor (over-rated) appeared to stand for itself. However once your back is against the wall, your under pressure etc you have to come out fighting and get your message across. He is simply hopeless at this. His apology today summed everything up. He should have apologised on Friday (witness Cameron apologising before Brown despite the revelation of Tory wrongdoing only being exposed today) so Brown looks behind the game. Worse still, his apology was totally unacceptable. He tried to apologise on behalf of all politicians when he should have apologised for those in HIS government and HIS party. If Tories/Lib Dems/Sinn Fein MPs have done things wrong, what does that have to do with Brown. He doesn't seem to understand the idea of responsibility - look at the way he handled McBride. Most telling from Brown's 'apology' was that he was sorry for what had happened over the 'last few days'. I'm sorry Gordon, but all that's happened over the last few days is that MPs have been found out. He should have apologised for what his own MPs have been doing over the last few years and he shuld have done it 3 days ago.
Thunder and Jazz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be fair, some of the backbenchers are absolutely terrible communicators (across all parites). And although Boris is improving in the GLA, he's not exactly good at communicating.
abstraction98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I believe I said that the two were linked, and if I didn't I will correct myself here and state that they are. The widening poverty gap is one of my chief worries, and despite such measures as a national minimum wage and Brown's more recent assertions that he is "stung" by people's negetive perception of him (last conference speech I believe) it is still widening.

I have not watched his various youtube offerings, I will do so now. As a wider public policy, positive discrimination, bias towards pleasing certain minority communities etc is not an answer to the country (or the world)'s problems in my belief.

Made me laugh, nice comment. Not that every leader's career goes downhill all the time but its pretty regular.

Good to see you missed the point. I did not once say that I was glad that he would have to do this. As it happens Brown is, I believe, the most capable of all of the leaders of the main parties in terms of eperience, knowledge and ability. However, he is not showing it at the moment and should not really be allowed to make any more mistakes of the calibre he is e.g. the Gurkha defeat. On the other hand, Darling is less impressive for me than the other two economic spokesmen.

If you want my view on percaption, its that in this media driven age you need to be able to communicate your ideas, goals and arguments with the electorate. Brown constantly spouting economic babble is not going to impress the average voter in Edinburgh South, and consequently people find it hard to relate to him (in my opinion). On the other hand, I would move that Clegg is much better at this, along with Cable. I don't trust David Cameron at all but I admit he is far better at the perception side of things. But where is the substance?
Darling over Osbourne any day of the week. Although I think Cable is an outstanding man for the job.
Thunder and Jazz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by abstraction98)
Darling over Osbourne any day of the week. Although I think Cable is an outstanding man for the job.
Absolutely.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.95%
No (181)
76.05%

Watched Threads