harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
There are lots of threads on TSR about Clearing and Adjustment at the moment, especially with the A level results coming out in 2 days. These are an opportunity to ask questions about how it all works, and I thought I would start one in this forum specifically for Law students. If you have any questions or are prepared to let us know how you got on during A level results day, please post here
S.carter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I’m waiting on my AS results, not A-Level, but I was wondering if clearing is on a first come first served basis?
And also, if you don’t get the grades for your firm choice, ie one grade below, is there any chance they’ll still take you anyway? Obviously this probably depends on the university, so would UCL or Bristol consider doing this in your opinion?

Thank you
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by S.carter)
Hi, I’m waiting on my AS results, not A-Level, but I was wondering if clearing is on a first come first served basis?
And also, if you don’t get the grades for your firm choice, ie one grade below, is there any chance they’ll still take you anyway? Obviously this probably depends on the university, so would UCL or Bristol consider doing this in your opinion?

Thank you
Yes yes and less enthusiastic yes.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
There are lots of threads on TSR about Clearing and Adjustment at the moment, especially with the A level results coming out in 2 days. These are an opportunity to ask questions about how it all works, and I thought I would start one in this forum specifically for Law students. If you have any questions or are prepared to let us know how you got on during A level results day, please post here
Does TSR have a step-by-step guide of what applicants need to be doing on Results Day if they need to go into Clearing?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
Yes yes and less enthusiastic yes.
Haha, yes!

I think Bristol would consider accepting people with one grade below, but not so sure about UCL? I see another FOI request going in after this year's Clearing
eloucaaa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Not sure about UCL since Law is very competitive ... but i've heard that they have for other courses?
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Haha, yes!

I think Bristol would consider accepting people with one grade below, but not so sure about UCL? I see another FOI request going in after this year's Clearing
Mr John has some data for 2017 and earlier years. Near misses at 38) in the doc, in 2017 UCL took in fewer than 4 and 2016 it was 38 and then 30 and then 6. The issue with this and why I am unenthusiastic on this point is it includes people who miss the offer but overcome this with equiv grades. So they get A*A*B or something like that.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1
Last edited by Notoriety; 2 months ago
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Mr John has some data for 2017 and earlier years. Near misses at 38) in the doc, in 2017 UCL took in fewer than 4 and 2016 it was 38 and then 30 and then 6. The issue with this and why I am unenthusiastic on this point is it includes people who miss the offer but overcome this with equiv grades. So they get A*A*B or something like that.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1
I think that the next batch of 'missed offer' requests should separate 'equivalent grades' from 'actual misses'
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
I think that the next batch of 'missed offer' requests should separate 'equivalent grades' from 'actual misses'
It's a learning experience, chico. No worries.
sly_southafrican
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This is a really vague question, I know, but are most universities/law schools less lenient about near misses if you have them as an insurance choice? I can completely understand a preference to take on firm near misses.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sly_southafrican)
This is a really vague question, I know, but are most universities/law schools less lenient about near misses if you have them as an insurance choice? I can completely understand a preference to take on firm near misses.
Depends on their policy. If this applies to you, email them and ask.

I recall someone from Warwick admissions saying that they look at various things when deciding whether to let in a near-misser, including whether they attended an offerholder day, whether they firmed the university or not, and the tone of any communication between the offerholder and the team. I'm guessing that you can add the deviation from the standard offer to that list!
harrysbar
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Does TSR have a step-by-step guide of what applicants need to be doing on Results Day if they need to go into Clearing?
There's this useful Q & A......I also like PQs flow chart but I don't know how to get it :confused:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6018120
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There's this useful Q & A......I also like PQs flow chart but I don't know how to get it :confused:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6018120
fanks
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Tis here

pdf version
The image should be a clickable link to the imgur image - http://i.imgur.com/CXKjMMe.jpg
harrysbar
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Tis here

pdf version
The image should be a clickable link to the imgur image - http://i.imgur.com/CXKjMMe.jpg
Thanks, that flowchart makes it all seem so simple!
harrysbar
Rep:
?
There's no easy answer to this and people will disagree.

My personal opinion is that unis would prefer to take people who have Firmed them, and then people who have Insured them, rather than a random person in Clearing who may be making a snap decision to apply before researching it properly and thus be more likely to drop out. But they are also driven by wanting to get the best possible students....so all things being equal, I think they would prefer to take people who have Firmed them but applicants rarely are completely equal so it would probably come down more to who had the best academics :dontknow:
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Dr returnmigrant might know the answer to this.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

This is a really vague question, I know, but are most universities/law schools less lenient about near misses if you have them as an insurance choice? I can completely understand a preference to take on firm near misses

It wont make any difference. Any Insurance choice has the potential to become a Firm choice - if your Firm rejects you, your Insurance choice automatically changes to your Firm choice. So Unis will make decisions based on exactly the same criteria.

Any 'difference' is based on the University and their particular decisions - ie. if its a 'lower grade Uni' they might accept a bigger miss than a 'higher grade Uni' would. Does that make sense?
sly_southafrican
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)

This is a really vague question, I know, but are most universities/law schools less lenient about near misses if you have them as an insurance choice? I can completely understand a preference to take on firm near misses

It wont make any difference. Any Insurance choice has the potential to become a Firm choice - if your Firm rejects you, your Insurance choice automatically changes to your Firm choice. So Unis will make decisions based on exactly the same criteria.

Any 'difference' is based on the University and their particular decisions - ie. if its a 'lower grade Uni' they might accept a bigger miss than a 'higher grade Uni' would. Does that make sense?
I do. Cheers.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
I do. Cheers.
It was a really good question and returnmigrant is the expert on Admissions.

But can I just check returnmigrant as am still a bit confused about something. If Bristol were going down from AAA to AAB say on a particular course and had 6 spaces left where they were prepared to accept AAB people, wouldn't first priority go to the 6 best people who had Firmed them? Or wouldn't that make any difference, they would just look at all the applicants equally and pick the best 6?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
24.46%
No (176)
75.54%

Watched Threads