Taking Time To.... Figure Stuff Out before Uni? Watch

*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by brightxburns)
Basically, I'm in Year 13. I applied to study a certain degree course this year, simply because I couldn't think of anything else to do. I have an AAA offer.
I'm not sure that I want it.
I'm contemplating other subjects. I'm almost certainly going to have to resit some A2 modules, because I don't think I'll get the required AAA.

Would it be so awful to take a year or two out before deciding on what I want to do with my life? It would make so much sense than jumping into a degree and disliking it and suffering through, or failing it, etc.

But this is so against the grain. I would be 2 years older than other Freshers (well, I will be 18 by Oct 2008, so I'll be 20 for Oct 2010 entry!), I will be a 'resit applicant', I would have taken at least a year out of education... I don't know what to do!

My plan would be to resit some A2 modules, get a job to earn some money, do some travelling, do some volunteer work and work experience (I'm looking at a 3-week placement at Bloomsbury Publishers, maybe some time at a law firm, whatever) and make good use of the time. I would be applying to Uni for 2010 entry, as I will need to resit modules to get my grades up, before applying, and this couldn't be done quickly enough for 2009 entry.

I don't know, what do you think? I really need some advice.
You already know most of this, because I've already spoken to you about it - but I took four years out, and I'd do it again.

I can't stress enough how little difference the age-gap will make; no-one will realise you're 20 unless you go telling them - honestly. I've dragged this anecdote out a few times now - but when I first started uni, a lecturer decided to ask the students to give a show of hands, to find out what ages we all were. In a lecture theatre of 200 first-year pupils, six of us were 18. The vast majority were 19 and 20; there was a substantial number of students aged 21-25; the rest were anywhere up to 40-something. It was an extreme situation, and I don't think you'd find such a tiny percentage of 18-year-olds in the first year of many courses, but all the same - I honestly thought that most of the people in that hall were the same age as me.

As for being out of education - I had two years out, and two years where I studied towards more qualifications. Try to keep your education going - even if it's a night-class one evening a week, it shows you're committed to maintaining your education, which will work in your favour. Wouldn't worry about the re-sits either (if you end up needing to do them, anyway) - plenty of people re-sit modules. It's not the "black mark" you believe it to be - at least not in the majority of cases (IIRC, re-sits are particularly frowned upon for Medicine without a good strong reason - but don't hold me to that, I might be wrong).

Give yourself time to have a good, long think about whether you're just getting a mild case of cold feet (which, for the record, most people experience at some point before the start of their course - it's perfectly natural to be nervous when you're on the brink of doing something life-changing) or a real change of heart. If you think it's likely to be the former, I'd say you should stick with your original decision - if you're happy with your prospective course and uni but you're just nervous, there's a strong chance that you'll settle down once you get there. If, on the other hand, you come to realise that you're just not happy with what you've applied to do - don't do it. It's such a waste of time, money and effort to start a degree that your heart really isn't in, simply because you feel pressured to start doing something.. and it's also very depressing. If you know now (as I know I did at this time four years ago, in hindsight) that the course really isn't right for you, I reckon you should wait until results day (just in case your doubts are down to worries about your grades) and then withdraw. It's never too late to start uni, and one or two (or even four) years out aren't likely to be detrimental in the grand scheme of things.. especially not if you spend that time figuring out what you really want to do with yourself.

Good luck with your decision-making!
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I wish I'd taken time out now, don't do something you might regret (i.e going into uni immediately), do whatever you feel is right and what you're comfortable with...
brightxburns
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Thanks for the advice everyone.
suek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by brightxburns)
Basically, I'm in Year 13. I applied to study a certain degree course this year, simply because I couldn't think of anything else to do. I have an AAA offer.
I'm not sure that I want it.
I'm contemplating other subjects. I'm almost certainly going to have to resit some A2 modules, because I don't think I'll get the required AAA.

Would it be so awful to take a year or two out before deciding on what I want to do with my life? It would make so much sense than jumping into a degree and disliking it and suffering through, or failing it, etc.

But this is so against the grain. I would be 2 years older than other Freshers (well, I will be 18 by Oct 2008, so I'll be 20 for Oct 2010 entry!), I will be a 'resit applicant', I would have taken at least a year out of education... I don't know what to do!

My plan would be to resit some A2 modules, get a job to earn some money, do some travelling, do some volunteer work and work experience (I'm looking at a 3-week placement at Bloomsbury Publishers, maybe some time at a law firm, whatever) and make good use of the time. I would be applying to Uni for 2010 entry, as I will need to resit modules to get my grades up, before applying, and this couldn't be done quickly enough for 2009 entry.

I don't know, what do you think? I really need some advice.
Two years could be a long time. Just that, this time next year, you might wish you were going to uni in Sept 09. It might be worth applying for 09 entry with predicted grades (I imagine you'll be resitting modules with your current educational establishment, so predicted grades/reference wouldn't be a problem?)

Have a think on that - because believe me, the daily grind of work and all does get tiresome.

Edit: Oh and don't worry about the age gap - I went to uni doing a course I didn't really want to do (enjoyed it, but didn't want the degree), and dropped out in 05. I'll be a nearly 23 year old fresher this year, it's pretty common!
Cherryy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I agree, I will be 25 when I start next year....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (158)
59.18%
No I haven't decided yet (63)
23.6%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.23%

Watched Threads