Zoe.1004
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m confused to which uni I should go to. Between these universities which one has a higher ranking and is better? University of Westminster or University of Law
MollysABear
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zoe.1004)
I’m confused to which uni I should go to. Between these universities which one has a higher ranking and is better? University of Westminster or University of Law
Hello there !
From what i’ve heard the University of Westminster is one of the lower ranking universities, perhaps within the last 20 or so. University of Law sounds good, but only if you were 100% set on law - hope this helps !
Zoe.1004
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey,
Thank you and what about Westminster vs Roehampton for Law. I’m also a bit confused because on the UK universities ranking Westminster is at 92nd however University of Law doesn’t even show up.
(Original post by MollysABear)
Hello there !
From what i’ve heard the University of Westminster is one of the lower ranking universities, perhaps within the last 20 or so. University of Law sounds good, but only if you were 100% set on law - hope this helps !
Uni of Westminster
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zoe.1004)
Hi there

The University of Westminster is a public university whereas the University of Law is a private university. Private universities are not ranked in the league tables so you wouldn't be able to compare these stats. To help your confusion I'd strongly advise you visit both universities to get a feel for the campus buildings and facilities and speak to tutors who teach on the course. Open Days are a great way to chat to students currently studying a Law course to find out what student life is all about. Our next Law Open Day is Saturday 12 October 2019.

If you're thinking of starting your course this September you can contact the Westminster Clearing team directly and phone lines will open this Thursday 15 August at 8am. We will be able to make offers of a place over the telephone.

I wish you well in your search.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
smj
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey,

I am also in the same dilemma as you are and have Uni of Law as one of the options.
Though I am not sure about the uni and yes it doesn't even show up in the league table. Is it because it is a private university?
The other uni I am considering is BCU which is at position 83 and have heard bad reviews about the other courses.

Do the rankings really matter
Tim Buktu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by smj)
Do the rankings really matter
They sort of matter.

What matters more is a university's branding.

Although employers are doing a conscious effort to suppress their biases; it would be silly to not acknowledge that a candidate from LSE and a candidate from Westminster will not give the same "first impression".

But equally so, It is silly to imagine that doors will open solely because the uni you went to.
One that relies only on their uni's name will not go very far.

So in short, yes ranking matters BUT it is not the only thing that does.

(I'm not sure if this is a valid comparison but I suppose we could say that it is similar than "good looks are not the only things that matter in life" 😅)
Last edited by Tim Buktu; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
58.2%
I don't have everything I need (135)
41.8%

Watched Threads