The Student Room Group

Help with Philosophy Essays - A Level

For some reason, whenever I do an essay in class, I send it off and feel like I didn’t do too bad - but when my results come back, they’re never great, or at the same level everyone else is.
I always put my hand up in class, always do the homework on time, but I always fall a little short.

Can anyone please give me any tips on how to succeed in my Philosophy essays (we are doing the Edexcel exam board) ? Thanks so much in advance ! :smile:
Well I’m honestly not sure about edexel, I did OCR. But our learning objectives were AO1 and AO2. So I knew I need to emphasize on evaluation and to do that I got in to the habit of writing essays in the following structure:
Introduction- state the argument you will be supporting and the arguments you will be arguing against.
Paragraph 1,2 and 3-
Argument (first point you disagree with)
Counter argument
Rebuttal
Counter rebuttal.
Then paragraph 4-
Argument (point you disagree with)
Counter argument
Rebuttal
And then..
Conclusion with your strongest point that you agree with.

I get my results on Thursday so we’ll see if this worked lol
Reply 2
Original post by Wooord
Well I’m honestly not sure about edexel, I did OCR. But our learning objectives were AO1 and AO2. So I knew I need to emphasize on evaluation and to do that I got in to the habit of writing essays in the following structure:
Introduction- state the argument you will be supporting and the arguments you will be arguing against.
Paragraph 1,2 and 3-
Argument (first point you disagree with)
Counter argument
Rebuttal
Counter rebuttal.
Then paragraph 4-
Argument (point you disagree with)
Counter argument
Rebuttal
And then..
Conclusion with your strongest point that you agree with.

I get my results on Thursday so we’ll see if this worked lol

Oh my gosh, wow ! Thank you so much - I am about to do some practice questions so I am definitely going to be trying this structure out - thank you again, and good luck with your results ! <3
Hiya are you doing a straight Philosophy course or something different? I did the same exam board but did philosophy ethics and religion. Don't want to give you advice if its a slightly different course as they might mark it different!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending