Adjustment with A*A*A? Watch

fatdogmendoza
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I was predicted AAA but achieved A*A*A (A*s in maths and physics, A in chemistry) and I applied for a physics BSc thinking I'd get AAA, are there any universities with requirements higher than AAA that do adjustment? I'd imagine the only ones are oxbridge etc but they don't participate
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by fatdogmendoza)
I was predicted AAA but achieved A*A*A (A*s in maths and physics, A in chemistry) and I applied for a physics BSc thinking I'd get AAA, are there any universities with requirements higher than AAA that do adjustment? I'd imagine the only ones are oxbridge etc but they don't participate
First of all, congrats on your results!

Most unis will offer limited spaces in adjustment- they don't always advertise their spaces, but they'll often talk to students, especially those with top grades like you.

However, before changing courses, it is worth thinking about whether that would actually benefit you. A uni won't necessarily be better just because it asks for slightly higher grades. They also may not offer you accommodation, which can be a hassle.

If you don't have a specific uni in mind, is it worth changing courses?
fatdogmendoza
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
First of all, congrats on your results!

Most unis will offer limited spaces in adjustment- they don't always advertise their spaces, but they'll often talk to students, especially those with top grades like you.

However, before changing courses, it is worth thinking about whether that would actually benefit you. A uni won't necessarily be better just because it asks for slightly higher grades. They also may not offer you accommodation, which can be a hassle.

If you don't have a specific uni in mind, is it worth changing courses?
Hello, thanks and thanks for your reply,
Good points, to be fair I'm very happy with my firm choice and you're right higher requirements doesn't mean higher quality, but I was wondering if somehow through some sort of magic Cambridge or some other highly selective university might have space 😂 I'd hate to pass up a potential spot without even taking a look. I guess adjustment is a bit more useful when more institutions are available
MaterialDesign
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Good points, to be fair I'm very happy with my firm choice and you're right higher requirements doesn't mean higher quality, but I was wondering if somehow through some sort of magic Cambridge or some other highly selective university might have space 😂 I'd hate to pass up a potential spot without even taking a look. I guess adjustment is a bit more useful when more institutions are available
How do you know your results?????
aesthete1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Oxford and Cambridge don't offer adjustment places at all (Cambridge do actually if you apply, are rejected in January and have a disadvantaged background but that isn't relevant here). unis you might want to look into are Birmingham, Manchester, Durham possibly but I don't know if they have adjustment places in physics
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Cambridge adjustment requires you to attend a UK state school unfortunately. You'll have to reapply if you want to pursue that. Not really that familiar with adjustment but from what sarc said i'm sure there'll be some excellent university to take you.

(Original post by MaterialDesign)
Results for international A-levels with CIE came out today (iirc).
aesthete1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by aesthete1)
Oxford and Cambridge don't offer adjustment places at all (Cambridge do actually if you apply, are rejected in January and have a disadvantaged background but that isn't relevant here). unis you might want to look into are Birmingham, Manchester, Durham possibly but I don't know if they have adjustment places in physics
just checked, none of those I mentioned have places, but Warwick does, and has required grades A*AA. tbh though unless you also prefer Warwick as a uni to your current one it really isn't worth the move
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
MaterialDesign
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Cambridge adjustment requires you to attend a UK state school unfortunately. You'll have to reapply if you want to pursue that. Not really that familiar with adjustment but from what sarc said i'm sure there'll be some excellent university to take you.

Results for international A-levels with CIE came out today (iirc).
I am hoping for the same results so I can apply for UCL via adjustment
sweata
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi, firstly congratulations! I was actually in the same boat as you. I predicted myself 3As but ended up with A*A*A. However over the Summer I had a complete change of heart on the degree I wanted to do. I originally wanted to do mechanical engineering but I now do Actuarial Science and Mathematics. As a result I went through adjustment at Manchester Uni. Although I dont regret my decision, the advice I would give you is think carefully and don't make a rash decision. Look at the course modules for your uni and only change if the modules don't appeal to you (or you have a massive change of heart like I did).
moneymanJPM
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
When you opened track, did the adjustment option come up at the top of the screen?
fatdogmendoza
Rep:
?
(Original post by MaterialDesign)
I did Cambridge international A levels so we get our results online on the 13th of August
fatdogmendoza
Rep:
?
(Original post by aesthete1)
just checked, none of those I mentioned have places, but Warwick does, and has required grades A*AA. tbh though unless you also prefer Warwick as a uni to your current one it really isn't worth the move
Thanks for the reply

Yeah I'd honestly rather stick to my firm I'm happy with it, just wanted to see if there's anything interesting left
fatdogmendoza
Rep:
?
(Original post by sweata)
Hi, firstly congratulations! I was actually in the same boat as you. I predicted myself 3As but ended up with A*A*A. However over the Summer I had a complete change of heart on the degree I wanted to do. I originally wanted to do mechanical engineering but I now do Actuarial Science and Mathematics. As a result I went through adjustment at Manchester Uni. Although I dont regret my decision, the advice I would give you is think carefully and don't make a rash decision. Look at the course modules for your uni and only change if the modules don't appeal to you (or you have a massive change of heart like I did).
Congrats to you too on the outstanding results, good choice of uni and course both sound very interesting. It's really a shame that we don't really get a chance to adjust to the very top unis, it would be great if they gave us a chance, I mean with our grades we could get into Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial after all but in understand why that's not possible. I've done some research and I think I'll stick to my firm choice, which is UCL, I like the uni and I think it'll be great

Best of luck
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Congrats to you too on the outstanding results, good choice of uni and course both sound very interesting. It's really a shame that we don't really get a chance to adjust to the very top unis, it would be great if they gave us a chance, I mean with our grades we could get into Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial after all but in understand why that's not possible. I've done some research and I think I'll stick to my firm choice, which is UCL, I like the uni and I think it'll be great

Best of luck
It would be hard to beat UCL apart fromOxbridge which isn't an option for you in Adjustment. Your amazing grades will stay with you for life so it's not like you won't benefit from them, just because you didn't apply to Oxbridge/Imperial. I don't think it's worth changing uni just for the sake of it, so for what it's worth I think you made the right decision
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Cambridge won't be offering Adjustment places except through their own limited scheme which you'd know if you were eligible for.

However, if there are any other unis you're interested in, it's always worth a call- just by calling up to find out if they have places, you're not committing to anything! In adjustment you get 5 days to decide, so you don't have to rush into things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads