Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This probably should be in the religion forum but I'll give my personal opinion nonetheless.

All the evidence suggests that consciousness is the result of brain activity, this stops when you die, so probably no afterlife. Although, we don't know an awful amount about our consciousness and I've never died, so :dontknow:
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You get buried or cremated.
Patagonia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Nothing. We won't know that we're dead. The thought of an afterlife is only comforting when we're alive and meaningless when dead.
bluemuffin
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Our bodies decompose
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Nothing. Your body decays / is disposed of.

Your consciousness isn't a thing that can be transferred.
azarrah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don't know for sure. In all likelihood, nothing - just like it was for the billions of years before you were born.

I really like the idea that your consciousness settles in another body, oblivious of its past life (not the same soul or anything, just that our focus shifts to a different awareness, kinda) but there's no reason for me to think it's true. I just wish it were!
Assembly
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Your consciousness isn't a thing that can be transferred.
yet...
emilyaw12
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You die. That's it. Then you get buried/cremated and your body recycles (I guess)
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some mush lobs you in the ground.
The Mogg
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nothing, absolutely nothing. You get buried/cremated. But in terms of what you experience, nothing. No afterlife, reincarnation, nothing. My thoughts anyway...
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
surviving family throw a good auld Irish wake
chaotic1328
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
'If you are an Atheist - what happens after we die?'

I am. We decompose (I.E., the worms, and all sort of other weird and wonderful creatures consume our lifeless body).
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Maggy the maggot eats our brains
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Exactly the same as happens to theists - oblivion, decay, recycling. Why do you think being an atheist might make a difference?
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Patagonia)
Nothing. We won't know that we're dead. The thought of an afterlife is only comforting when we're alive and meaningless when dead.
Actually we might. Studies have been showing brain activity for anywhere upto half an hour following the event of clinical death, which is definitely long enough for you to realize what's happening and make peace with it. Those studies are also showing that the brain has a specific procedure that it follows during death, from blowing the heart out so it stops, to the life review (memory centres being triggered), and so on.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Perhaps in the spirit of saving the planet we should enable :eating: :yum: as a solution in addition to worms and burning.
YasudaSayo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with you all about there being nothing after death, but I’m confused as to what happens to the energy after you die, since energy can only be transferred and not created or destroyed? Don’t say it’s transferred to the worms and maggots that eat us because the energy ‘disappears’ before we’re even buried
Tomf03
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nothing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (40)
26.67%
No (110)
73.33%

Watched Threads