The Student Room Group

If you are an Atheist - what happens after we die?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by azarrah
I don't know for sure. In all likelihood, nothing - just like it was for the billions of years before you were born.

I really like the idea that your consciousness settles in another body, oblivious of its past life (not the same soul or anything, just that our focus shifts to a different awareness, kinda) but there's no reason for me to think it's true. I just wish it were!

This reminds me a bit of Hinduism and Buddhism actually!
What’s the point of this life though if there is nothing after we die
Original post by Unknown2233

Why is an afterlife necessary to give life meaning? The point of life is to live however you want to live and experience whatever you want to experience, simple.

Do you never watch a film because it’ll end? Or how about a delicious meal, do you never eat one even though you know it won’t last forever? Or how about a good book, mind-blowing sex..?
Reply 23

Does there have to be a point? And also your question does not automatically imply or prove that a god exists. And also suppose you live and die and thats it- finished! You can only deal with this by choosing to decide that you have 'faith' in whatever you decide to believe about the afterlife. You cannot prove empirically or scientifically or state as a 'fact' anything about after life experience. To say otherwise means dishonesty!
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Why is an afterlife necessary to give life meaning? The point of life is to live however you want to live and experience whatever you want to experience, simple.

Do you never watch a film because it’ll end? Or how about a delicious meal, do you never eat one even though you know it won’t last forever? Or how about a good book, mind-blowing sex..?

I don’t know, it just sounds pointless to me. Even if I have the best experience ever, it’s going to end one day and be forgotten about forever, no one is going to give a **** of your life experience after you die, whatever you experienced in this world will vanish forever one day. I don’t see a point just being born, living, ageing, then dying forever. I don’t know it’s just me lol
Original post by mgi
Does there have to be a point? And also your question does not automatically imply or prove that a god exists. And also suppose you live and die and thats it- finished! You can only deal with this by choosing to decide that you have 'faith' in whatever you decide to believe about the afterlife. You cannot prove empirically or scientifically or state as a 'fact' anything about after life experience. To say otherwise means dishonesty!

Well it wouldn’t make sense if it’s pointless. Also I didn’t try to prove god by saying that, it just doesn’t make sense to me that we live in this temporary world and then vanish forever, we’re much more valuable then that. I also believe there is ultimate justice for all the rapists, murderers etc who got away in this world without punishment, in the next life. It would be very unfair if, for example, a serial killer gets away and dies happily. I’m not close minded, but it seriously doesn’t make sense to me that we just die and that’s it. I’m not saying what I’m saying is definitely right or that I proved what I’m saying, I’m just saying it makes the most sense to me
I don’t know, it just sounds pointless to me. Even if I have the best experience ever, it’s going to end one day and be forgotten about forever, no one is going to give a **** of your life experience after you die, whatever you experienced in this world will vanish forever one day. I don’t see a point just being born, living, ageing, then dying forever. I don’t know it’s just me lol

Yeah but who cares? You won’t even exist to notice that you’ve vanished or that people will have forgotten about you. And even if an afterlife exists it’ll make no difference, eventually everyone you knew will have died and you won’t be remembered on Earth anyway, unless you become a super famous celebrity.
Reply 27
After we are dead will be just like before we were born.
Yeah but who cares? You won’t even exist to notice that you’ve vanished or that people will have forgotten about you. And even if an afterlife exists it’ll make no difference, eventually everyone you knew will have died and you won’t be remembered on Earth anyway, unless you become a super famous celebrity.

Why don’t you absolutely believe in an after life?

For exactly the same reason that you don't believe that you're being followed by an invisible unicorn .. there's zero evidence for it.

0 evidence. Also, even if there was one it wouldn’t change how I live my life.

Do you believe in a pre-life?
What do you lot think of this if found it on the internet.

“The idea here is that a contingent thing is something that may either exist or not exist; its nature does not guarantee that it exists. What Avicenna wants to do is show you that although all the things we experience directly are indeed contingent, there is also something else that exists necessarily, in other words, whose very nature guarantees that it exists.
“To do this, Avicenna points out that since a contingent thing on its own merit could either exist or not exist, it must have some external cause that made it exist - like ‘tipping the scales’ in favor of its existence rather than its non-existence.
“So take me, for instance. I am contingent, meaning that I am the sort of thing that could easily have failed to exist. In fact, at one time I didn’t yet exist, and in the future I will cease existing, that proves I’m not necessary.
“So there must have been a cause, maybe my parents, who brought me into existence. Now Avicenna observes that the aggregate whole of all contingent things in other words the physical universe is also contingent. After all, everything in the universe is contingent, so taken all together as one thing, it too must be contingent. Thus it also needs an external cause, just like I do.
“Since that external cause has to be outside the whole aggregate of contingent things, it cannot itself be contingent. So it is necessary. Hey presto, we’ve proven that there is a necessary existent which causes all other things! And this, of course, is God.”

please read it carefully and answer back. I'm not trying to debate or anything I just want others opinions
0 evidence. Also, even if there was one it wouldn’t change how I live my life.

Original post by RogerOxon
Do you believe in a pre-life?

Anyone?
What do you lot think of this if found it on the internet.

“The idea here is that a contingent thing is something that may either exist or not exist; its nature does not guarantee that it exists. What Avicenna wants to do is show you that although all the things we experience directly are indeed contingent, there is also something else that exists necessarily, in other words, whose very nature guarantees that it exists.
“To do this, Avicenna points out that since a contingent thing on its own merit could either exist or not exist, it must have some external cause that made it exist - like ‘tipping the scales’ in favor of its existence rather than its non-existence.
“So take me, for instance. I am contingent, meaning that I am the sort of thing that could easily have failed to exist. In fact, at one time I didn’t yet exist, and in the future I will cease existing, that proves I’m not necessary.
“So there must have been a cause, maybe my parents, who brought me into existence. Now Avicenna observes that the aggregate whole of all contingent things in other words the physical universe is also contingent. After all, everything in the universe is contingent, so taken all together as one thing, it too must be contingent. Thus it also needs an external cause, just like I do.
“Since that external cause has to be outside the whole aggregate of contingent things, it cannot itself be contingent. So it is necessary. Hey presto, we’ve proven that there is a necessary existent which causes all other things! And this, of course, is God.”

please read it carefully and answer back. I'm not trying to debate or anything I just want others opinions

Random events. A god could either exist or not, so ..
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 35
Well it wouldn’t make sense if it’s pointless. Also I didn’t try to prove god by saying that, it just doesn’t make sense to me that we live in this temporary world and then vanish forever, we’re much more valuable then that. I also believe there is ultimate justice for all the rapists, murderers etc who got away in this world without punishment, in the next life. It would be very unfair if, for example, a serial killer gets away and dies happily. I’m not close minded, but it seriously doesn’t make sense to me that we just die and that’s it. I’m not saying what I’m saying is definitely right or that I proved what I’m saying, I’m just saying it makes the most sense to me

Yes. I understand. You hope that there is an ultimate justice. But, to me, there are always lots of questions that are unanswered of course. Why, for example, is there a need for us to wait till some other supposed life in order to get justice? who or what is now checking out where the justice is missing? and then why not intervene, especially for the worst injustices? Why wait all your life for the possibilities of justice? One could argue that this life does not make sense and so why should the next possible one make any more sense and have more justice?

As a species, the point of life is reproduction so that the species can continue and improve over time.

On an individual level, we may choose not to reproduce but there is still a point to our existence if we lead a good life, enjoy what we have and are a positive influence on the people around us.
Reply 37
Original post by harrysbar
As a species, the point of life is reproduction so that the species can continue and improve over time.

On an individual level, we may choose not to reproduce but there is still a point to our existence if we lead a good life, enjoy what we have and are a positive influence on the people around us.

Ok. There are thousands if viewpoints on this question. And the answers are always subjective. What for example, is a "good life" and a "positive influence"? and why do we need to be born? and when did you or me make this choice to be born and to reproduce?and why? etc
Original post by mgi
Ok. There are thousands if viewpoints on this question. And the answers are always subjective. What for example, is a "good life" and a "positive influence"? and why do we need to be born? and when did you or me make this choice to be born and to reproduce?and why? etc

It is an unanswerable question but this is just my take on it

But why should an experiences meaning in the future determine its meaning now? Yeah one day it won't mean anything. But as long as you are alive and experiencing it, then it means something right now. Today it means everything. Tommorow it might mean nothing. But we're not on tommorow yet.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending