Anyone Else finding it hard to find a motive in life?! Watch

Juggy123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
hmm what 9.9 outa 10 times it would be just to gain money!? even when people say become doctors their on a silly wage too
LesterFreamon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
take drugs
don't sleep
have comtempt for those you meet.
Cupid Stunt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just set yourself a goal, there's always something to be doing that way.
Juggy123
Rep:
?
what type of goal?
Cupid Stunt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Anything you want, there must be something in life you wish you had or experienced....anything.

It doesn't have to be long goals, daily goals even, if there truly is NOTHING else that you want in life then stop complaining.
Gemma_08
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Look behind the sofa, that's where I found mine
DisgruntledMoth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes, I completely relate to you.
I'm technically capable of so much, but I just don't care. I spent so long trying to find something to live for, but all I want to do is hurry everything along until I'm not expected by society to do anything anymore.
And then I'll just sit around playing tiddlywinks.
Ron Stoppable
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Juggy123)
I just generally dont have a desire to do anything maybe im lazy, if your like me HELLO, if your not whats your desire and motive in life.
First, a big nope! to the thread title question ... but I did ~5 years ago. Humanistic psychology considers adolescence-30 to be when most people develop their sense of self, so it's certainly normal!

Second, JK Rowling's keen on pointing out that, at its most basic level, the human condition is just a series of choices. Having well-defined values makes those choices easier to make. So, to make life more fulfilling:
1 ~ Define what your values are. Just pick a few from this enormous list and consider what they mean to you.
2 ~ Stick to them - and only tweak them when absolutely necessary.

That's it! The simpler you make things, the easier they are.
HawkAhriman
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
if you don't have passion for what you do, either figure out what you do have a passion for or go do whatever it is that you have a passion for.

saying "you'll kick yourself if you don't" is a massive, massive understatement.
HawkAhriman
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ron Stoppable)
First, a big nope! to the thread title question ... but I did ~5 years ago. Humanistic psychology considers adolescence-30 to be when most people develop their sense of self, so it's certainly normal!

Second, JK Rowling's keen on pointing out that, at its most basic level, the human condition is just a series of choices. Having well-defined values makes those choices easier to make. So, to make life more fulfilling:
1 ~ Define what your values are. Just pick a few from this enormous list and consider what they mean to you.
2 ~ Stick to them - and only tweak them when absolutely necessary.

That's it! The simpler you make things, the easier they are.
i don't think values are something you just pick out of a list, if I'm entirely honest. they're something you mould by reading and experiencing and refecting. they don't just...appear.
OllyThePhilosopher
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by HawkAhriman)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
to be help others will mean risking your own life style and money, to be happy were all happy but have we got true motives in life?! thats what were on about here.
What do you mean by motives? And why does helping others have to be a negative thing to yourself?
My lifestyle IS about helping others; and money doesn't really come into it- that's not a motive to me.
SoundDevastation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
no, you just haven't FOUND your passion in life. you should read more. it might help with that.
Agreed.

I was in the same position over a year ago and it led me to a state of depression, though i took time out and really really thought about whats important to me.

During this time i rediscovered my love for music, became far more interested in animal rights, starting teaching myself politics which has followed on to a strong interest in anarchist theory, met loads of amazing people who have influenced me no end, became interested in voluntary and community work, seen a different side to both Nottingham and London..

i still have no exact motive, but i have some idea of how i want to live my life, which is definately worth having.
Ron Stoppable
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i don't think values are something you just pick out of a list, if I'm entirely honest. they're something you mould by reading and experiencing and refecting. they don't just...appear.
Deary me! In picking, the tendency is to identify most with those you already hold dear.

Get with it. :rolleyes:
Juggy123
Rep:
?
(Original post by cpj1987)
What do you mean by motives? And why does helping others have to be a negative thing to yourself?
My lifestyle IS about helping others; and money doesn't really come into it- that's not a motive to me.
your not going to help the world by keeping doors open for people and nobodies an angel
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
your not going to help the world by keeping doors open for people and nobodies an angel
Wow; it's no wonder you've got no motives in life.
Whoever said I was an angel? I only said that my motive in life is to help others.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Wow; it's no wonder you've got no motives in life.
Whoever said I was an angel? I only said that my motive in life is to help others.
A cynic might say that your life is therefore spent running away from guilt.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
A cynic might say that your life is therefore spent running away from guilt.
They may well do. :p:
What would I have to be guilty about though?
Meh, confusion. Oh well. :p:
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They may well do. :p:
What would I have to be guilty about though?
Meh, confusion. Oh well. :p:
If you didnt help others, then you would feel guilty I suspect. Therefore you are helping them for your own pleasure in essence. Human nature is that everyone is selfish, the difference between people is whether its at a concious or subconcious level.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
If you didnt help others, then you would feel guilty I suspect. Therefore you are helping them for your own pleasure in essence. Human nature is that everyone is selfish, the difference between people is whether its at a concious or subconcious level.
That's true enough. Doubt I'd feel guilty if I helped less, but I'll admit it's partly selfish because the thing that makes ME most happy is to see others happy. Which is exactly why it's my motive. :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25.41%
No (91)
74.59%

Watched Threads