SteamboatMickey
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by flosiphy)
I don't think where I want to go does politics! Any other good subjects?
Modern languages are always good. I'm in Year 13 but I remember going to a sixth form open evening and they recommended French, History, English Lit and Philosophy for Law since they're seen as good subjects. I don't see any problem with picking Law as an AS/A2 either.
Aklaol
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think where I want to go does politics! Any other good subjects?

Philosophy or Economics would work well also
Aklaol
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SteamboatMickey)
Modern languages are always good. I'm in Year 13 but I remember going to a sixth form open evening and they recommended French, History, English Lit and Philosophy for Law since they're seen as good subjects. I don't see any problem with picking Law as an AS/A2 either.
Picking Law for an AS/A2 is frowned on (by the universities) when applying for a Law degree.
SteamboatMickey
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aklaol)
Picking Law for an AS/A2 is frowned on (by the universities) when applying for a Law degree.
That's fair enough, then. I'm wanting to do History so I'm not an expert with Law degrees.
flosiphy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you! I do Spanish at GCSE and enjoy it and was considering it but I heard the jump from GCSE to A Level especially in Languages was horrible. I feel like I would do better in other subjects.
SamLuxa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah I'd personally avoid the Law A level.
I think having two 'preferred" subjects for A2 is good. However, doesn't matter what they're in.

I have an Oxford interview for Law upcoming and I study Psychology, Maths and Physics lol.
flosiphy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aklaol)
Philosophy or Economics would work well also
Instead of Economics, would Maths work too?
flosiphy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SamLuxa)
Yeah I'd personally avoid the Law A level.
I think having two 'preferred" subjects for A2 is good. However, doesn't matter what they're in.

I have an Oxford interview for Law upcoming and I study Psychology, Maths and Physics lol.
Wow! Good luck! Can I ask what is Psychology A level exactly like?
SteamboatMickey
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you! I do Spanish at GCSE and enjoy it and was considering it but I heard the jump from GCSE to A Level especially in Languages was horrible. I feel like I would do better in other subjects.
When shortlisting your A-Levels It's important to do what you love, and then what you are best at. I did Biology at AS and I didn't enjoy it in the end because I wasn't very good at it. I am very good at English so I tend to enjoy those subjects because I do well in them. Maybe you could have a look at the A Level material for Spanish later on in the year to get a feel about the difficulty? Some people take to A Level languages quite well, and others do struggle. You are the best judge of what you are and aren't good at!
AlexS101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As long as it was combined with 2 rigorous essay subjects (History and English Lit for example)
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I am currently in Year 11 and beginning to apply for sixth forms. I am 80% sure that I would like to go into law in the future, as I love writing, analyzing and overall I think I would enjoy it. My picks of A levels are currently English Lit, History, Biology and Psychology. English, History and Biology are my favorite subjects, and obviously History and English are good for law. I really love Biology, which is why I put it as an option as well, but is it suitable for law? Psychology I'm very uncertain about, is it looked down on by top unis like Oxbridge? I genuinely think I would enjoy all of these subjects, but wouldn't mind changing one for something like maths or chemistry if it was REALLY needed. Thanks!
You usually would pick essay based subjects. However, Biology is a bit unusual with the combination that you have.
flosiphy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When shortlisting your A-Levels It's important to do what you love, and then what you are best at. I did Biology at AS and I didn't enjoy it in the end because I wasn't very good at it. I am very good at English so I tend to enjoy those subjects because I do well in them. Maybe you could have a look at the A Level material for Spanish later on in the year to get a feel about the difficulty? Some people take to A Level languages quite well, and others do struggle. You are the best judge of what you are and aren't good at!
Thank you, I definitely will!
flosiphy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by S2M)
You usually would pick essay based subjects. However, Biology is a bit unusual with the combination that you have.
I agree, I just feel like it's what I would do best at as it's my favorite. I also heard some unis like it when there's a mix of science as it shows you are able to do different types of subjects aswell.
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree, I just feel like it's what I would do best at as it's my favorite. I also heard some unis like it when there's a mix of science as it shows you are able to do different types of subjects aswell.
Yeah that is true, they do usually like that.
Aklaol
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Actually Maths works quite well also. You don't need 3 essay subjects for a Law degree, one or two will do. English Literature, History and Maths would be a great combo.
SamLuxa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wow! Good luck! Can I ask what is Psychology A level exactly like?
Thanks! The change to the new spec. has meant a lot more focus on applying psychological models.
So, you have a develop a level of understanding, rather than needing to previously just memorize information.

The topics involved are Attachment (Child-parent interaction), Memory, Social Influence, Psychopathology (Different approaches to psychology), Biopsychology (Biological processes in psychology), Research Methods.

I find it very interesting and it is easier than my other subjects os easier to access A* grade. However, at my 6th form the teachers are normal science teachers os is taught pretty poorly and so involves self-teaching quite a lot.
flosiphy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If I had to pick 3 subjects (as one of the sixth forms I'm applying to only lets you do 3), would English Lit, History and Biology be a better option or English, History and Psychology? I'm stuck as Biology is a 'hard' subject and a 'proper' science, but I feel like Psychology connects with law somehow?
flosiphy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SamLuxa)
Thanks! The change to the new spec. has meant a lot more focus on applying psychological models.
So, you have a develop a level of understanding, rather than needing to previously just memorize information.

The topics involved are Attachment (Child-parent interaction), Memory, Social Influence, Psychopathology (Different approaches to psychology), Biopsychology (Biological processes in psychology), Research Methods.

I find it very interesting and it is easier than my other subjects os easier to access A* grade. However, at my 6th form the teachers are normal science teachers os is taught pretty poorly and so involves self-teaching quite a lot.
I feel like would really enjoy it too! Thanks for the info!
Shaaayxp
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If I had to pick 3 subjects (as one of the sixth forms I'm applying to only lets you do 3), would English Lit, History and Biology be a better option or English, History and Psychology? I'm stuck as Biology is a 'hard' subject and a 'proper' science, but I feel like Psychology connects with law somehow?
Biology is apparently really hard but if you really enjoy it and work hard in sure you'll be fine. I would suggest going to open days and ask students what studying psychology or biology is actually like. Or find out the exam boards they are using and flip through the text book to see what you would be learning and if it looks interesting/hard. I take psychology A level and I find it interesting and I don't think it's necessarily hard compare to what I'd imagine biology to be like!
OddFuturez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do English Lit, History and classical civilisation. It doesn't matter what subjects you do though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise