PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aklaol)
Whilst universities may state that they wouldn't mind having an applicant who has studied Law at A-level, they still do not prefer it. It's more over the fact that a university would rather have you study a different subject as opposed to Law, but they wouldn't reject a application from an individual who has taken Law. I can guarantee that if the university was in a situation where they had to pick a student who studied English Literature, History and Law or English Literature, History and Politics they would definitely pick the latter. Again, let me reiterate the fact that not doing Law for an A-level is preferred, it's not a requirement.
I work for a university. The statements on university websites are accurate (they're required by law not to mislead over entry requirements).

You're wrong.
Aklaol
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
I work for a university. The statements on university websites are accurate (they're required by law not to mislead over entry requirements).

You're wrong.
It's not misleading an entry requirement. The admissions team can give out spots to whoever they want. It's a fact that they'd be more likely to give out a spot to somebody who didn't take Law for an A-level. This is in no way misleading applicants, this is simply how the majority of universities would operate.
whowannadate
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
predicted A*s across the board so open to everything, i find maths and the sciences boring though.

my gcses:
Maths
Further maths
English lit and lang
History
French
German
Religious studies
Biology
Chem
Physics
charlott3
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AnonymousEric)
I also want to study Law at a Russell Group Uni and I've chosen English Lit, History, and Religious Studies. For Law it is a safe bet to say you should have at least 2 essay-based subjects, and having an English A level is extremely well respected, so if I were you I would perhaps consider dropping either Maths or Sociology for English Lit or Lang, or maybe even take it as a fourth if you think you can handle the work load. Good luck! X
Thank you!! I like English Lit but it Is not my strongest subject. Isn't Sociology seen as an essay based subject? Good luck to you too!!
Obiejess
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by charlott3)
Thank you!! I like English Lit but it Is not my strongest subject. Isn't Sociology seen as an essay based subject? Good luck to you too!!
Ignore above poster. You can take literally any subjects for Law, but respected ones and essays are the best. Having one 'softer' subject won't be an issue. Your A Levels are fine for Law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
rosie.mn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by whowannadate)
predicted A*s across the board so open to everything, i find maths and the sciences boring though.

my gcses:
Maths
Further maths
English lit and lang
History
French
German
Religious studies
Biology
Chem
Physics
I would do French, History and English Literature. Maybe a 4th in either Philosophy, Politics or Law (not regarded as a bad a level for law by the way).
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A Level French
A Level Law
A Level English Literature

Do not do 4 A Levels.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
French, History and Maths would probably be the perfect combination but if you don't like Maths then any other subject you'd enjoy would be fine.
whowannadate
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AshEntropy)
A Level French
A Level Law
A Level English Literature

Do not do 4 A Levels.
thanks - why not 4 a levels?
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
thanks - why not 4 a levels?
All universities only look at your 3 best A Levels. It's completely pointless to study 4 A Levels, as all this will do is give you more unnecessary work. People that study 4 A Levels are are absolutely no advantage to those that do 3 A Levels.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AshEntropy)
All universities only look at your 3 best A Levels. It's completely pointless to study 4 A Levels, as all this will do is give you more unnecessary work. People that study 4 A Levels are are absolutely no advantage to those that do 3 A Levels.
Not quite true. It's often the case that they will make you an offer on your best 3, meaning you could afford to screw up one of them as long as that one wasn't a requirement of the course. (e.g. I know someone reading Law with French who did 4 A levels and no one asked him for more than AAA, with an A in French.)
habeas.corpus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
French, Eng Lit and History.
whowannadate
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by habeas.corpus)
French, Eng Lit and History.
Thx im probably gonna go qwith this
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't do A Level Law, it's not considered "facilitating" and you're better off doing another subject such as English Lit, History, etc. I can't see why you shouldn't do two languages along with an essay subject but that may be because I do that
Trevish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Definitely French and Idk whatelse xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
csutton
Badges: 7
Report 2 years ago
As long as you don't do law you'll be fine - those are good options
I'm The Real MVP
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by flosiphy)
Hi, I am currently in Year 11 and beginning to apply for sixth forms. I am 80% sure that I would like to go into law in the future, as I love writing, analyzing and overall I think I would enjoy it. My picks of A levels are currently English Lit, History, Biology and Psychology. English, History and Biology are my favorite subjects, and obviously History and English are good for law. I really love Biology, which is why I put it as an option as well, but is it suitable for law? Psychology I'm very uncertain about, is it looked down on by top unis like Oxbridge? I genuinely think I would enjoy all of these subjects, but wouldn't mind changing one for something like maths or chemistry if it was REALLY needed. Thanks!
The good thing about law is that universities are generally pretty open to a wide range of combinations of subjects. Obviously essay writing subjects are good, but really just go for what you enjoy and i'm sure you'll be fine.
I started my UG Law course this September, and my A-Levels were History, Economics, and Government & Politics (with Spanish at AS).
Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (69)
23.71%
No (222)
76.29%

Watched Threads