sfriday
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey if anyone is interested i Have a load of textbooks i bought new last year for my first year, for all modules, message me if you want any! various C&A, contract, criminal and legal foundations books, latest editions etc. going cheap, i've got no need for them anymore!
JENZAD
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for Good article. Its benefit for me.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Rachle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is awesome thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Crimsons
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I do law at a non Russel group university would I have a good chance in getting a job in a good London firm depending on the "grade" I get like first, 2.1, etc?
Luke070
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well written and informative article, thanks for sharing!
WeeGuy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What is the difference between a BA Law and LLB Law? thanks
Luke070
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by WeeGuy)
What is the difference between a BA Law and LLB Law? thanks
I didn't think there was a difference, I thought LLB stood for a Bachelor degree in law.
WeeGuy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Luke070)
I didn't think there was a difference, I thought LLB stood for a Bachelor degree in law.
http://www.stir.ac.uk/undergraduate-...ourses-a-to-z/

link to stirling uni they offer LLB and BA

the LLB entry AABB HIGHERS
BA entry BBBB HIGHERS

there must be a difference.
beccac3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
LLB is a qualifying degree which exempts you from the academic requirements for becoming a barrister or solicitor. The BA is just a standard degree. In order to become a barrister or solicitor you usually need either a LLB or a GDL (a law conversion course)

Posted from TSR Mobile
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by beccac3)
LLB is a qualifying degree which exempts you from the academic requirements for becoming a barrister or solicitor. The BA is just a standard degree. In order to become a barrister or solicitor you usually need either a LLB or a GDL (a law conversion course)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whether a degree is a qualifying law degree has nothing to do with whether it is a BA or an LLB (or for that matter a BSc).

The standard law degrees at Oxford and Cambridge are both BAs. It is possible to do a QLD at Nottingham that is a BA and it isn't all that long ago since the standard law degrees at Durham, Leicester and Kent were all BAs. The only QLDs that are BScs are now joint honours degrees but that wasn't always the case. There are plenty of graduates with BScs in law.
beccac3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Whether a degree is a qualifying law degree has nothing to do with whether it is a BA or an LLB (or for that matter a BSc).

The standard law degrees at Oxford and Cambridge are both BAs. It is possible to do a QLD at Nottingham that is a BA and it isn't all that long ago since the standard law degrees at Durham, Leicester and Kent were all BAs. The only QLDs that are BScs are now joint honours degrees but that wasn't always the case. There are plenty of graduates with BScs in law.
Fair enough. my law teacher told me to avoid BA courses because they won't get you into law. Although she isn't that reliable a source on most things so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by beccac3)
Fair enough. my law teacher told me to avoid BA courses because they won't get you into law. Although she isn't that reliable a source on most things so...

This is the list of qualifying law degrees

http://www.sra.org.uk/students/cours...providers.page

Whether a particular student's degree is a QLD depends on whether he or she does the 7 core subjects. At some universities they are compulsory, at others they are not. As a generalisation it is usually easier to do a degree which doesn't amount to a QLD if it is a BA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hannahj697
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
how are you usually examined in university for law?
MBFP
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Could you tell me how manu hours you spend in lectures,etc.. How much free time do you have? Does it depend on unis ?
MarkP.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Shahid786)
Could you tell me how manu hours you spend in lectures,etc.. How much free time do you have? Does it depend on unis ?
I've just gone into first year studying Scots Law LLB and my lectures consist of 3 per module and you do 3 modules a semester. That amounts to 9 hours lecture time and you usually have 2 tutorials a week so in total about 11 hours teaching time a week and I'd say you have to match that with preparation/reading etc throughout the whole week.
MBFP
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How exactly do you study law? I mean you dont learn laws by heart? Donyou debate about them ?
furqanmushtaq
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
PLEASE HELP ME!
I didn't meet my LSE offer in 2014 because I got a B in A level History.Now, I am planning to reapply to universities and retake A level History in May. My question is whether universities give you conditions on retakes after you have already taken your A levels?
Thank you
MarkP.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by furqanmushtaq)
PLEASE HELP ME!
I didn't meet my LSE offer in 2014 because I got a B in A level History.Now, I am planning to reapply to universities and retake A level History in May. My question is whether universities give you conditions on retakes after you have already taken your A levels?
Thank you
Would need to ask the university or look at their entry requirements, some say first sitting.
Gracie Alanna
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello, I'm new to TSR today I'm currently studying AS and have to apply to Uni soon. I want to do Law (probably human rights) eventually, but not sure if I should do an english or geography degree at Uni and then a conversion, or do a normal Law degree straight off. Any ideas? Has anyone done a conversion course and could give me a first hand insight; or has anyone been in a similar predicament and can explain why they picked one or the other? so confused about what to do!
MarkP.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gracie Alanna)
Hello, I'm new to TSR today I'm currently studying AS and have to apply to Uni soon. I want to do Law (probably human rights) eventually, but not sure if I should do an english or geography degree at Uni and then a conversion, or do a normal Law degree straight off. Any ideas? Has anyone done a conversion course and could give me a first hand insight; or has anyone been in a similar predicament and can explain why they picked one or the other? so confused about what to do!
First thing you want to establish is whether or not you want to do an LLB in law or not. If not that conversion from one subject to another would be fairly easy. If you want to do an LLB (course that allows you to practice law) then conversion is near impossible from another course. I know of someone who has currently got a degree and is now doing a law degree in 2 years just by covering the basic modules.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.3%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.09%
Not great so far... (257)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.72%

Watched Threads