JAndrade1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't help but find the bias towards Law at A-Level so frustrating to think about. Well, I'm biased too, since I'm currently doing it, but still.

Out of all my subjects (History and English) Law (CIE) is by far my most difficult. Unless you do the course it's difficult to explain not only the scope, but the depth of the teaching.

My law teachers are actually all lecturers/senior lecturers at the local law school (an affiliate of the university of Liverpool) and teach us almost exactly the same subject material, albeit more condensed.

There is no way that when I start uni in September I won't have a slight advantage. Especially since Tort and Contract will be in my first year and those are my A2 subjects.
Gracie Alanna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MarkP.)
First thing you want to establish is whether or not you want to do an LLB in law or not. If not that conversion from one subject to another would be fairly easy. If you want to do an LLB (course that allows you to practice law) then conversion is near impossible from another course. I know of someone who has currently got a degree and is now doing a law degree in 2 years just by covering the basic modules.

I'm looking at doing a geography/english degree and then a GDL (conversion). Would this not qualify me to do Law?
emilyak
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is there anyone studying law at Exeter on here??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ilydia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone know the best way to file work doing a Law degree? I mean should I buy lever arch files, ring binders, or document wallets? Or anything completely different? Thanks
undergrad2015
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

I am a law undergrad and have been given my first contract essay to do, however I am finding difficulties on how to approach it, i.e. what style should I write it in? For and against?
And what kind of points should I make?

The question is 'To what extend do judges establish the existence of a contract based solely on the intention of the parties?'

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Hayleykx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ilydia)
Does anyone know the best way to file work doing a Law degree? I mean should I buy lever arch files, ring binders, or document wallets? Or anything completely different? Thanks

I would say it's down to personal preference. I am half way through the second year of my law degree and I have one a4 notebook with dividers for my lecture notes, and each module has a seperate section (I keep my lecture notes fairly neat so I don't have to rewrite them). Then I have an a4 notebook for every module to do seminar prep in, make any general notes and keep any sheets in. Then I have a ring binder folder for revision, with the dividers to seperate each subject. I also find flash cards quite useful when revising to write case names and important legislation on. Hope this helps and doesn't sound too crazy/ excessive :-)
Wrf95
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Currently at Bristol studying law, happy to help if anyone has any questions
dickinson458
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Wrf95)
Currently at Bristol studying law, happy to help if anyone has any questions

hi, I'm am going to uni in September to study law, how hard are the essays you are given? And how do you find the exams?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dickinson458)
hi, I'm am going to uni in September to study law, how hard are the essays you are given? And how do you find the exams?
How long is a piece of string. Depends how clever you are. Helps if you have some common sense, can analyse and deal with things logically. If you are at law school then presumably its becayse you were capable enough to get the grades. I wouldnt worry.
Wrf95
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dickinson458)
We aren't given too many essays - some practice essays but mainly we are given two coursework essays to do in january and march. You definitely need to put the work in to get a good grade, but i wouldn't say the coursework essays were impossible! Though having said that i think the average in our year was around 55%, with 9% getting a first so you just definitely need to work hard. A lot of people (the person above included) seem to think oh i've got into law school so i must be able/smart enough, which I'm sure is true, but it is far more down to how much work you actually put in than just being naturally smart. As I'm a first year i'm yet to sit my final year exams, but the mocks in january were good - problem questions are fine, essay questions you definitely need to revise into the theory of law etc a lot.
hannah123.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If anyone is studying law LLB at the UEA and is in their first year, would it be possible to look at a timetable? Was just wondering what the timings are like and how many hours there are roughly a week.
///curious
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is it risky to apply to 4 LNAT uni's; i was getting 25-28 in practice. Also do essays or MC have stronger weighting? Personally felt my essays were stronger.
Mosi1234$
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Final Chapter:
Liverpool, asking for 32 IB points at least a 5 in Maths(S/L)
Manchester, asking for 32 IB points, 6,6,6 in higher level subjects and at least a 5 in English
Sheffield, asking for 36 IB points, 6,6,6 in higher level subjects and at least a 5 in English
Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU), asking for 26 IB points
Leeds, asking for 35 IB points, 6,6,5 in higher level subjects and at least a 4 in English

So that is 5 out 5.
I will take my time to firm. Learning towards Liverpool and Manchester.
charlott3
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have picked History, Maths and Sociology but I do not know if these subjects are good enough to study law at a Russell Group University. Also is Sociology seen as a 'soft' subject?

Thank You x
Abstract_Prism
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Those subjects are fine
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by charlott3)
I have picked History, Maths and Sociology but I do not know if these subjects are good enough to study law at a Russell Group University. Also is Sociology seen as a 'soft' subject is I pick it?

Thank You x
Those are fine. People will usually recommend to pick essay based subjects for Law.
AnonymousEric
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I also want to study Law at a Russell Group Uni and I've chosen English Lit, History, and Religious Studies. For Law it is a safe bet to say you should have at least 2 essay-based subjects, and having an English A level is extremely well respected, so if I were you I would perhaps consider dropping either Maths or Sociology for English Lit or Lang, or maybe even take it as a fourth if you think you can handle the work load. Good luck! X
flosiphy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I am currently in Year 11 and beginning to apply for sixth forms. I am 80% sure that I would like to go into law in the future, as I love writing, analyzing and overall I think I would enjoy it. My picks of A levels are currently English Lit, History, Biology and Psychology. English, History and Biology are my favorite subjects, and obviously History and English are good for law. I really love Biology, which is why I put it as an option as well, but is it suitable for law? Psychology I'm very uncertain about, is it looked down on by top unis like Oxbridge? I genuinely think I would enjoy all of these subjects, but wouldn't mind changing one for something like maths or chemistry if it was REALLY needed. Thanks!
Aklaol
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
English Literature
History
Politics

Prob the best combination.
flosiphy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aklaol)
English Literature
History
Politics

Prob the best combination.
I don't think where I want to go does politics! Any other good subjects?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.3%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.26%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise