Forced to do an apprenticeship. Watch

WQ2192
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I honestly have no idea what I want to do. Results day is Thursday and if I get the required grades i'll be able to get into my dream uni. However, I have also been offered a really good apprenticeship. When I mentioned I might not want to do the apprenticeship to my parents they were not happy to say the least. The apprenticeship looks really good but I'm worried i'll have no social life and that I will be wasting the best years of my life working. I don't know what to do.
siamsam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Most apprenticeships are for 30hrs a week although some may be more. You'll have plenty of time for a social life in the evening and at weekends so don't let that put you off. What level apprenticeship is it? Is there any chance for you to progress on to a degree apprenticeship further down the line?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by WQ2192)
I honestly have no idea what I want to do. Results day is Thursday and if I get the required grades i'll be able to get into my dream uni. However, I have also been offered a really good apprenticeship. When I mentioned I might not want to do the apprenticeship to my parents they were not happy to say the least. The apprenticeship looks really good but I'm worried i'll have no social life and that I will be wasting the best years of my life working. I don't know what to do.
Do your parents not want you to go to university?
miss.eleanora
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Do what you want not necessarily what your parents want, it's your life and you'll have to live with your choices; they won't. They've made their choices now you make yours, don't be unhappy
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by WQ2192)
You have got to do what you want now.If uni is the dream then go for it.Unfortunately some parents just do not get the university thing.What subject and uni is it?
Bambae
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Well what is the apprenticeship and what would you be studying? There's a big difference between an apprenticeship at Rolls Royce compared to Poundland (the latter is just a mechanism to avoid paying the minimum wage). Without this contextual information it's difficult to offer tailored advice.

There's no point doing an apprenticeship if you really don't want to be there. Your employers will pick up on this and you will not make a positive impression. I've worked with many a surly, attitudinal teenager who has clearly been forced to find a job by their parents, and it is highly unpleasant for all involved. (This was within hospitality, not actual professional work experience, but all the same). If you really want to go straight to uni, then you should do so. Remember you should respect your parents, but you are an adult now and it is your decision.

That said, to play devil's advocate, you could always complete the apprenticeship and then go to uni a year or two later. You could well find yourself more mature and ready to succeed on your degree - especially if you have a big fat stack of cash saved up to help with expenses!

What I will say is that whatever you choose to do, you will not be "wasting the best years of your life". Whether you work or go to uni, you will still meet new people, have formative experiences and grow as a person. There's this idea of "the uni experience", definite article, but actually everyone's experience is unique and you don't need to do things just like everyone else for fear of missing out. If anything university is the safe choice, a relatively benign environment to do your growing up in - a creche for middle class overgrown adolescents. The bolder and potentially more exciting choice could well be to work for a few years, and then who knows?

Again, no judgements. You sound like your heart is set on uni, but do make sure you've thought through all the options.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.81%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (331)
63.53%
Not yet but I am planning to (25)
4.8%
Not yet but I might (67)
12.86%

Watched Threads