Is cambridge still worth a shot? Watch

Mollyy2002
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I’ve done pretty bad in my AS results I got bbbc is it worth a chance to apply with these grades for 2020 entry if I do really well in my A levels or is there no chance?
Would it be better for me to just take a gap year after A levels and apply the next year,maybe that way I could get in.Are AS grades really that important for the application.
I’m a bit stuck here and disappointed please reply
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mollyy2002)
So I’ve done pretty bad in my AS results I got bbbc is it worth a chance to apply with these grades for 2020 entry if I do really well in my A levels or is there no chance?
Would it be better for me to just take a gap year after A levels and apply the next year,maybe that way I could get in.Are AS grades really that important for the application.
what course are you thinking about applying for and what are the grade requirements?
Mollyy2002
Rep:
?
Geography-A*AA
avacados1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think if u were to apply this year and your predicted grades were close to ur as results, then u wouldn’t really make a competitive application . Obviously that’s only me having looked at those grades. It may be better to apply post a levels if u know u can achieve the requirements or even better higher
Last edited by avacados1; 1 week ago
Mollyy2002
Rep:
?
I guess you’re right.Thank u
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Most people applying to Cambridge will have a strong academic profile and be predicted AAA + next year. Even if you manage to get strong predictions, Cambridge will see your AS grades and may see them as less realistic.

If you manage to get A*AA next year and apply during a gap year, you'd be a much stronger applicant.

I know this must be disappointing, but there are lots of great unis out there, so why not look at some other unis in the autumn? You might find a course that you love?
Historynerd101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To get a Cambridge interview you generally need to be predicted their entry requirements (e.g. be predicted A*AA or above) because they need to see that you have a realistic chance of meeting their offer if they make you one. You'd be very unlikely to get an interview if you are predicted anything below AAA minimum. Therefore, unless you will be predicted AAA (preferably A*AA) or above this year I would not recommend applying for 2020 entry to Cambridge.
However, if you get A*AA or above in your actual A-Levels then you'd be much better off applying then during a gap year (what I did!)
Last edited by Historynerd101; 1 week ago
Mollyy2002
Rep:
?
Did u get in?
Historynerd101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes I did! (though my story was a bit different from yours, I was predicted high grades, achieved A*AA and then decided to take a gap year to apply, but if you manage to get A*AA or above in your alevels- your predictions won't matter).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%