I need to alter my sleep pattern for return to uni but am really struggling!! Watch

Random1318
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I have been working full time over the summer, doing the late shift which is usually 2pm - 9pm. This means that I have been waking up at about 12pm at the earliest, returning home from work at about 10pm and then being awake in my room until between 4-5am which is when I naturally feel tired and fall asleep.

Needless to say this is NOT the sleep pattern I want when I am at uni again, so I am trying to reshape it to a more suitable wake and sleep time but I just can't. Yesterday I woke up at about 9am and settled into bed at about midnight, I ended up laying there for 4 hours, tossing and turning with my mind on full alert until I gave up and browsed on my laptop for an hour until about 5:30am when I went to sleep. Today I've woken again at 12:30pm and I just can't see a way of resetting my circardian rythm.

Has anybody else struggled with this issue? I am desperate to sort it out but I can't find a way!
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
so , digital detox? - keep device chargers in the kitchen, just BAN anything that emits blue light (or white light with blue in it) for at least the whole ONE hour before bed - your pineal gland thinks your laptop is a window and it is mid-day sunshine outside, so no melatonin for you , mate.

Not even a subtle glance at a phone, sleep means sleep. You still have a month!

(there's some info here before you hit their paywall https://study.com/academy/lesson/pin...an-rhythm.html look further on https://scholar.google.com for more papers on blue light, pineal etc)
Last edited by LuigiMario; 4 days ago
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Set an alarm for 9am on a day you aren't doing anything. Those 4 hours of sleep are gonna shatter you out so when it comes to 10 at night you'll be able to fall asleep.
steamed-hams
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I had to get up at 6:30am but my sleeping pattern was so bad I didn’t actually sleep. But cos I wont make it past 9pm I’ll sleep then wake up at like 8am and the cycle resets
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (73)
17.76%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (261)
63.5%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.87%
Not yet but I might (57)
13.87%

Watched Threads