Should we lock up young offenders? Watch

Have Your Say
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
The head of the Youth Justice Board in England and Wales has urged magistrates and judges to send fewer young offenders to custody.

Speaking to the BBC, Frances Done said she wanted the courts to make greater use of community penalties.

About 2,900 10 to 17 year-olds are currently locked up in secure children's homes, secure training centres and young offender institutions in England and Wales.

Mrs Done accepted that the Youth Justice Board had to make sure community sentences were “robust” alternatives to incarceration.

Are the courts too quick to incarcerate young offenders? Should young offenders be locked up? What other alternatives could there be to custodial sentences?

Read the full story (on the BBC website)

Click here if you have any other story ideas (on the BBC website)
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
no lock them up and keep the little scrotes away from honest law abiding people who just try to survive in this crap hole of a country where too many goodie goody "hug a puppy" the poor little things its not thier fault idiots like that woman keep making the whole thing worse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, when you're past 10/11 you know perfectly well what you're doing is wrong. My friend was killed by one of these early release tossers.
ConservativeNucleophile
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Stupid cow. If they're old enough to do the crime, they're old enough to do the time.
Tinkerbee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ConservativeNucleophile)
Stupid cow. If they're old enough to do the crime, they're old enough to do the time.
:ditto:

Alternatively. Shoot the *******s :teeth:
MakingMoves
Report 11 years ago
No, not lock em up. That waste tax payers money just to keep em alive.

I say beat em up black and blue until they learn their lesson.
*Mike*
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Tinkerbee)
:ditto:

Alternatively. Shoot the *******s :teeth:
beat me to it
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MakingMoves)
No, not lock em up. That waste tax payers money just to keep em alive.

I say beat em up black and blue until they learn their lesson.
Use them to supply our energy needs MATRIX STYLE :evil:
alenax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hug a hoody

What a load of **** though, don't go easy on them! Community punishment haha ridiculous, I bet that woman hasn't come into first-hand contact with anything that she's going on about.
MakingMoves
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
Use them to supply our energy needs MATRIX STYLE :evil:
Or let the government sell them to giant firms. So instead of animal testing we can let them test their products on annoying little thugs.
Juggy123
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
lock them up a criminal motive starts at 7, why not!? the amount of abuse regular people get these days from ''youth'' if you can do the offence you can do the time reguardless of who are you black white red or even 60 100 130 years old!! no mercy!!
Cherry Kisses
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Or let the government sell them to giant firms. So instead of animal testing we can let them test their products on annoying little thugs.
Thats a great idea! :teeth:
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hasn't that already been done? China springs to mind. Did you know they also have a lot of organ donors as well apparently
marcusfox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Open up military run "brat camps" in remote areas. Don't lock them up, put them in one of these places for six months to a year or more, teach them how to be useful and teach them some respect. Will be cheaper than prison too.

Marcus
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Put them to work in the fields or something :teeth: or like, make them do manual work/factory word or something. Or lots of community service.

I know a girl who works at a young offenders insitute and I've asked her about it before. She says that the boys have sky tv in their individual rooms! And they can watch it all night if they want, they don't have to turn it off at any particular time. She also said they have games consoles etc.

I can't even afford sky tv!!
eulerwaswrong
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yes we also need to toughten the places up - prisons and young offenders places are too much like holiday homes -
roots
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
no give them unpaid work, not eligible for benefits, name and shame, exclusion from education for a year, tag, compulsory meetings etc

because in this country once you get into the justice system you dont get out, it stays with you for that reason kids of 16,17,18 maybe even 19 should be given a chance

Obviously the worst crimes such as murder and rape should be prosecuted in the same way
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This woman clearly has no idea how many times you have to offend and breech your community order before a young person can be put in jail.

http://inspectorgadget.wordpress.com...fend-you-yeah/
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Rather than wasting money keeping in jail/trying to put them in schemes, they should just take them out of that environment and move them to Scotland to work on the fields.
nicangeli
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think national service would be a good deterrent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (114)
66.28%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.35%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.37%

Watched Threads