Should we lock up young offenders? Watch

CommunistHamster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm agreeing with the suggestion of sending them to "labour camps" (bad connotations there, but ignore those). Some kind of punishment that is unpleasant yet productive.
Cold Roses
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Everyone here supporting imprisonment for these criminals, or even the death penalty, make my brain hurt.

Are you more concerned with forming a better society, or taking out your anger on people?

Reformation and rehabilitation is the answer. Punishment doesn't change people, it just breeds resentment.
rummang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Bring Juvenile Hall to the UK.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i love have your say. get some threads where people are the lunatic leftist hippy love everyone brigade.

then the same sorts rock up on threads like this espousing work camps and locking people up from age 7.

pick a consistent stance people and stick to it.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by technik)
i love have your say. get some threads where people are the lunatic leftist hippy love everyone brigade.

then the same sorts rock up on threads like this espousing work camps and locking people up from age 7.

pick a consistent stance people and stick to it.
I remember being berated about my views on capital punishment and the like, being told it was cruel, archaic, not a deterrent, we should be rehabilitating them not imprisoning and/or killing them, etc. Strangely it seems like some of the people who fought me on such an issue have had a dramatic change of heart :rolleyes:
Paxdax
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by nicangeli)
I think national service would be a good deterrent.
And teach the ***** how to use guns? Great idea!
Hest
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Reformation and rehabilitation is the answer. Punishment doesn't change people, it just breeds resentment.

For that we'll need some statistics. How many young offenders actually come out "changed" and sorry for what they did?
I would have thought that they do the same thing over again anyway and act all innocent and willing to repent as soon as they do get put in those places.

Are you more concerned with forming a better society, or taking out your anger on people?
Revenge has always been a part of justice. In some cultures, it's a Virtue too. If I had it my way, murderers, paedophiles and happy stabbing hoodies should be hacked to death with a knife then recycled.
Bodies burnt and all to generate energy or something.
Jabbamuffin
Report 11 years ago
Build a man made island, dump them there and let them destroy their own community and not ours.
Push
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Probably should, the young trouble makers shouldn't be given a second-chance, they know what they are getting themselves into and should abide by it or face punishment really.
The Epicurean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Locking them up should only be half of it...A work camp prison would be better. Instead of imprisoning them for whatever amount of months they should punish them with a certain amount of work and they can't leave until they've done that work. I am not on about community service though where they are left to walk the streets.
Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think they need something to inspire them. Almost everyone has some contribution to play. Traditionally sport or music is where the unruly thrive. Happy Mondays for instance were basically a bunch of Salford car thieves and yet on stage they were brilliant
Fankadore
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Young offenders should be disiplined severely. Basically when your child willingly commits an offence you as a parent have failed to disipline them correctly (I am obviously speaking for offenses such as murder, gbh, rape)

Not only should the child be punished, disiplined and forced to redeem themselves, the parents should be considered (whether they are deliberately raising hooligans or not) and actions taken
alenax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Some of the replies on here are the most naive thing I have ever heard.

"omg lets make them feel good about themselves and not send them to big bad scary houses" oh please, they treat prison like a status thing anyway!
jointhedots
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by nicangeli)
I think national service would be a good deterrent.
Because clearly that would do our armed forces the power of good, without discrediting people who choose to join the army as a career in the slightest.

Some of the responses on this thread make me feel a bit like I've walked into a copy of the Daily Mail... :ninja:
Calumcalum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes! Not too young, but people my age (16) know full well what is right and wrong. People should be jailed for mugging, the government are far too lenient on teenagers in London.
yohaneuano4
Report 11 years ago
Custodial sentences - more taxpayers money; overcrowded, inhumane prisons; no solution for the yob's criminal tendencies(the state still letting them down); and in all likelihood, a more angry person when they come out than when they went in. :yy:

Long prison sentences or even corporal punishment do nothing in terms of improving the criminal's character, except perhaps to fortify it even further as they become more disenchanted with society. I'll admit, it provides a nice retribution for the victim and onlookers. You can cheer, and applaud, and say justice has been done, and when the scallywag is released back on to our streets he'll re-offend, and the judiciary will do it again, and it forms a vicious cycle.

The key to solving the problem is removing people from the environment that leads to them committing crime. People are not born bad, or born with desires to kick someone's 'ead in. It is as a result of negative influences, such as the people they live around, they commit crime. Funding should be allocated to get people stable and out of this environment, thus creating a model citizen. This would be sustainable, as they are less likely to return to crime. The other key solution is more investment in poverty stricken areas. Again, this is not inucurable. People are born in to deprivation, and become angry, and have no opportunity to better themselves. Remedy this, and hey presto, less crime.

Oh, yeah, but higher taxes, and no instant gratification... :hmmmm2:
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by yohaneuano4)
Custodial sentences - more taxpayers money; overcrowded, inhumane prisons; no solution for the yob's criminal tendencies(the state still letting them down); and in all likelihood, a more angry person when they come out than when they went in. :yy:

Long prison sentences or even corporal punishment do nothing in terms of improving the criminal's character, except perhaps to fortify it even further as they become more disenchanted with society. I'll admit, it provides a nice retribution for the victim and onlookers. You can cheer, and applaud, and say justice has been done, and when the scallywag is released back on to our streets he'll re-offend, and the judiciary will do it again, and it forms a vicious cycle.

The key to solving the problem is removing people from the environment that leads to them committing crime. People are not born bad, or born with desires to kick someone's 'ead in. It is as a result of negative influences, such as the people they live around, they commit crime. Funding should be allocated to get people stable and out of this environment, thus creating a model citizen. This would be sustainable, as they are less likely to return to crime. The other key solution is more investment in poverty stricken areas. Again, this is not inucurable. People are born in to deprivation, and become angry, and have no opportunity to better themselves. Remedy this, and hey presto, less crime.

Oh, yeah, but higher taxes, and no instant gratification... :hmmmm2:
That's a great idea, just give them everything they want so they don't commit crime. I don't see why being poor has to make anyone violent or carry weapons, there's just no excuse for it. If you get caught with a knife it should be a guaranteed sentence. In this country the 'lack of opportunities' line doesn't really have as much meaning as in say America, in the UK everybody gets a chance to make it and if they don't take it then that's their fault. If you look at 99% of people they get by without committing violent crime so the deprevation doesn't let off the 1% who can't behave.
ForeverIsMyName
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, lock em up, that'll teach them a lesson!

:rolleyes:
Adam83
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
im so encouraged by these comments.

amazing.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Fankadore)
Young offenders should be disiplined severely. Basically when your child willingly commits an offence you as a parent have failed to disipline them correctly (I am obviously speaking for offenses such as murder, gbh, rape)

Not only should the child be punished, disiplined and forced to redeem themselves, the parents should be considered (whether they are deliberately raising hooligans or not) and actions taken
Totally agree with this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads