Retaking year 12 Watch

Medge2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am currently in the holidays between year 12 and year 13 yet revising for my resit tomorrow for maths.
I took the subject based on knowledge that a science would be preferable to get into university studying psychology, however I struggled with science so chose to do maths instead. I knew it would be difficult however I don’t think I was prepared for how different it is from GCSE (which I really enjoyed)
Towards the end of the year, my teachers discussed the idea that a BTEC Cert course would be running in both Business and Law which was good for me as my grades in maths were not as good as I had anticipated.
However, after the last set of mocks, we were told the BTEC certs may not run and this has been confirmed via an email a few days ago.
I really don’t want to continue maths next year, but I really enjoy my other subjects Psychology and Sociology.
What would others recommend ?
I have read that you can retake year 12 but would I be able to choose a different subject from maths ?? Would I have to move to a different college ?? Or is there an option to continue my other subjects and pick up a new one with the rest of the year 12 that comes in during September ??
Thank you so much for the help !!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Medge2)
I am currently in the holidays between year 12 and year 13 yet revising for my resit tomorrow for maths.
I took the subject based on knowledge that a science would be preferable to get into university studying psychology, however I struggled with science so chose to do maths instead. I knew it would be difficult however I don’t think I was prepared for how different it is from GCSE (which I really enjoyed)
Towards the end of the year, my teachers discussed the idea that a BTEC Cert course would be running in both Business and Law which was good for me as my grades in maths were not as good as I had anticipated.
However, after the last set of mocks, we were told the BTEC certs may not run and this has been confirmed via an email a few days ago.
I really don’t want to continue maths next year, but I really enjoy my other subjects Psychology and Sociology.
What would others recommend ?
I have read that you can retake year 12 but would I be able to choose a different subject from maths ?? Would I have to move to a different college ?? Or is there an option to continue my other subjects and pick up a new one with the rest of the year 12 that comes in during September ??
Thank you so much for the help !!
You need to talk to the school and see what they can offer to do at level 3 that you can complete in a year i.e a fast tracked A level in a subject you can cope with. A low grade in Maths isnt going to help you, so drop it.
Look at your target unis entry criteria and just take something you can get the best grade in for least work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%