occupational health form for medschool Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
hi,

i'm due to start medical school in sept.

Need to complete OH form.

My parents forced me to go to the GP 12-18months ago (can't remember exactly) because of my mental health.

Was feeling down but I know what was causing it (UCAS application, uncertainty about the future).

The prescribed antidepressants, which i never took.

They referred me to the wellbeing team who I spoke to on the phone every couple of weeks for a few months, they didn't really help much.

I don't actually think I was depressed, probs just more a bit stressed out. All my friends seemed to have their lives planned out and I didn't.

I have since taken a gap year and am feeling much better.

Do I need to declare this on my OH form? I don't really think it's significant. Will it prevent me from going (can't really afford for that to be happening seeing as i should be starting in a month).
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hi,

My parents forced me to go to the GP 12-18months ago (can't remember exactly) because of my mental health.

Was feeling down but I know what was causing it (UCAS application, uncertainty about the future).

They referred me to the wellbeing team who I spoke to on the phone every couple of weeks for a few months, they didn't really help much.

I don't actually think I was depressed, probs just more a bit stressed out. All my friends seemed to have their lives planned out and I didn't.

Do I need to declare this on my OH form? I don't really think it's significant. Will it prevent me from going (can't really afford for that to be happening seeing as i should be starting in a month).
Hey,

It's really up to you whether or not you declare it. If you did, it wouldn't go against you. I always declare my previous mental health issues, but then I was on and off anti-depressants a couple times. I'm starting an MSc in Psychological Wellbeing in Clinical Practice in September and also working as a support worker on a Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit.

Basically, it's up to you!

Loren
lilacdolphin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
hi,

Firstly, they won't hold it against you.
It is completely up to you. If you feel that this may become an issue in the future (and med school can be pretty stressful) it may be useful to make the university aware of your past issues. Do you know much about your new uni's support system?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
(Original post by lilacdolphin)
Firstly, they won't hold it against you.
It is completely up to you. If you feel that this may become an issue in the future (and med school can be pretty stressful) it may be useful to make the university aware of your past issues. Do you know much about your new uni's support system?
Earlier I read a thread about someone being declared 'unfit to study' :/ so that's not ideal.

I'll probs put it on anyway though.
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi I have been to medical school and have similar issues, I didn't declare it, because I thought it's none of their damn business.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JamesManc)
Hi I have been to medical school and have similar issues, I didn't declare it, because I thought it's none of their damn business.
Thank you. Might not bother lol
Respect.Global
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
hi,

I would declare it. Medical school is a high-stress environment and you want to be supported in the best ways possible.

This link will answer your question perfectly, its straight from the General Medical Council. It also has a section on health services. Pay close attention to the fitness to practice section. Honestly is the best policy when it comes to professionalism in medicine.

https://www.gmc-uk.org/education/sta...lth-conditions

Little note to add, you would never be rejected for disclosing a medical condition, its a breach of the equality act and Discrimination act, although some exclusions do apply as you can imagine, i.e. being really ill at the time, the stress of medical school could make you sicker, putting patients at risk (Impaired fitness to practice). Or where reasonable adjustments can't be made. In both these scenarios, they show that the university wants to support its students.

Hope this helps quell your fears.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Respect.Global)
I would declare it. Medical school is a high-stress environment and you want to be supported in the best ways possible.

This link will answer your question perfectly, its straight from the General Medical Council. It also has a section on health services. Pay close attention to the fitness to practice section. Honestly is the best policy when it comes to professionalism in medicine.

https://www.gmc-uk.org/education/sta...lth-conditions

Little note to add, you would never be rejected for disclosing a medical condition, its a breach of the equality act and Discrimination act, although some exclusions do apply as you can imagine, i.e. being really ill at the time, the stress of medical school could make you sicker, putting patients at risk (Impaired fitness to practice). Or where reasonable adjustments can't be made. In both these scenarios, they show that the university wants to support its students.

Hope this helps quell your fears.
thanks. So if I say I had a few issues a year ago, they will still let me go?
Respect.Global
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Of course, as long as you feel well enough to go, your practice is not impaired. I'd really suggest reading that document from the GMC, it really will quell your fears. Like it covers everything from fitness to practice for medical students, occupational health services, and if you do struggle in uni, how they will help you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Respect.Global)
Of course, as long as you feel well enough to go, your practice is not impaired. I'd really suggest reading that document from the GMC, it really will quell your fears. Like it covers everything from fitness to practice for medical students, occupational health services, and if you do struggle in uni, how they will help you.
i'll check it out in the morning, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.81%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (331)
63.53%
Not yet but I am planning to (25)
4.8%
Not yet but I might (67)
12.86%

Watched Threads