what to wear as a temp? Watch

mitsabeeba
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'm going to be temping for just 2 days as a 'temporary administrator' at a local company.. basically data entry, what should I wear for this? Is wearing a suit a bit over the top for a 2 day temp? Or is smart black pants and a smart white collared shirt enough?
Thanks
Danielle1880
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
I'd think think the pants and collared shirt effort should be enough.

As long as you look professional, should be fine.
Steffiewoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Black trousers and a shirt. You could always take a suit jacket with you and if you look underdressed put it on when you get there, or wear it and take it off when you get there if you look overly smart.
suzy2512
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I work in an office and usually just wear trousers and a smart top. As said above though you could always take the jacket and take it off when you're sitting at your desk.
Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Black trousers/skirt and a white shirt is considered standard business wear, unless you're a high profile executive type.
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
tailored trousers/skirt and a smart/formal top. Doesn't have to be a shirt but as you don't know the company that might be a better option. I never wore shirts to work, it was always nice smart looking tops/jumpers. Would stay away from a suit, my mum doesn't even wear a suit jacket most of the time and she is quite high up.
Sick Puppy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
smart trousers (jeans are probably a no no) and smart top
in_vogue
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hey it depends, I wear jeans to my office...if it's data entry you're doing, no-one's going to be paying much attention...
Yasmin2K8
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I doubt you will need to wear a suit, I'd go with some black trousers or pencil skirt and just a casual/smart shirt
Lady_Muck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I work as a legal secretary in the summer, am wearing black straight legged jeans (though they're more heavy cotton with inverted seams, can't tell they're jeans), a purple dress and a black cardi with gold accessories today.

it's an urban myth that you have to wear black and white. You don't. I never want to wear a black suit to work, I think they look dull and unimaginative.
mitsabeeba
Rep:
?
thanks everyone! i ended up going with the black pants + white collared shirt combo cause i felt it was the safest...ive never worked as more than a shop assistant before so i had no clue. but it turned out the black pants+white shirt were okay, everyone else was a little less casual.. no jeans though. tomorrow just going to wear a nice top and trousers
xxx
in_vogue
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It seems so weird you have to do that! Last 3 data entry temping jobs I had, we all (data entry temps) just wore jeans - one girl even wore flip flops, no-one batted an eyelid...

Glad you worked it out in the end though!
Annaconda
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
just curious - how much you getting paid for the 2 days?
mitsabeeba
Rep:
?
(Original post by Annaconda)
just curious - how much you getting paid for the 2 days?
its 8am-5pm each day at £6.50 an hour. comes to just over £100 in all
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.3%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.26%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.44%

Watched Threads