Best Universities for Law that accept resits Watch

ineedthreeAs
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi.

Doe anyone by chance happen to have a list of the best universities for Law that accept resits? As if I don't meet my offer this year I plan to resit my A-levels in the hopes of getting in to a good law course.

Thank you.
ineedthreeAs
Rep:
?
Anyone?
Arisapo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Where would you be aiming to go to and what were you predicted?

I’ve actually just redone my A-Levels so in an extremely similar predicament and can give you any information you need.

Honestly though, I wouldn’t advise it. I don’t want to put you off and ultimately it’s your choice but it’s far from easy; not only do you have to keep yourself motivated to study by yourself, but it’s demoralising to see all your friends having fun at uni while you’re stuck at home and the year drags.

There’s also no guarantee you’ll get an offer from your dream uni and that could make the whole endeavour pointless and will feel like you’ve wasted a year.

If that’s what your heart is telling you, go for it. I’d definitely look at clearing if you don’t make the grades though as I wouldn’t advise resits and that’s coming from experience.
ineedthreeAs
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arisapo)

I’ve actually just redone my A-Levels so in an extremely similar predicament and can give you any information you need.

Honestly though, I wouldn’t advise it. I don’t want to put you off and ultimately it’s your choice but it’s far from easy; not only do you have to keep yourself motivated to study by yourself, but it’s demoralising to see all your friends having fun at uni while you’re stuck at home and the year drags.

There’s also no guarantee you’ll get an offer from your dream uni and that could make the whole endeavour pointless and will feel like you’ve wasted a year.

If that’s what your heart is telling you, go for it. I’d definitely look at clearing if you don’t make the grades though as I wouldn’t advise resits and that’s coming from experience.
I'm predicted AAA I need ABB. I've looked in clearing and can't see anything I'd like. Thank you for your help, I'd be aiming for at least a university within the top 20 in the league tables and decent graduate prospects.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ineedthreeAs)
I'm predicted AAA I need ABB. I've looked in clearing and can't see anything I'd like. Thank you for your help, I'd be aiming for at least a university within the top 20 in the league tables and decent graduate prospects.
If you’re predicted AAA and you need ABB, surely you’ll be fine?

Where are you holding a place from and hoping to go to this year if you get what you need?
ineedthreeAs
Rep:
?

Was that by any chance for law?
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Was that by any chance for law?
It was for law and I’ve applied again so the situation is exactly the same, which is why I feel I’m best suited to answer as I’ve just been through it.

You say you only need ABB and are predicted AAA, why did it go so wrong if you think you’ll need to resit as that’s something you’ll need to consider.

Where’s your firm choice?
ineedthreeAs
Rep:
?
It was for law and I’ve applied again so the situation is exactly the same, which is why I feel I’m best suited to answer as I’ve just been through it.

You say you only need ABB and are predicted AAA, why did it go so wrong if you think you’ll need to resit as that’s something you’ll need to consider.

Where’s your firm choice?
Leeds for ABB, and because I did not work nearly as hard as I did for my year 12 mocks in comparison to my a levels. If you dont mind me asking what unis did you get offers for this year?
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Leeds for ABB, and because I did not work nearly as hard as I did for my year 12 mocks in comparison to my a levels. If you dont mind me asking what unis did you get offers for this year?
Leeds might still take you and if not you have to ask yourself if it’s worth resitting — I remember emailing them and they had a no resits policy so if that’s your dream uni then it won’t happen.

Where else would you be keen on as I remember emailing every “good” uni back in September to ask for their stance and should be able to remember for you.

I applied to Durham, Nottingham, Exeter, York and Newcastle with original grades BBD and predicted grades AAA and an LNAT score of 24.

I got offers from all but Durham and have firmed Exeter, so it’s possible but I remember Leeds saying they wouldn’t consider them and even if they say they “do consider resits”, it doesn’t mean you won’t be disadvantaged.

It’s a very dull year in truth and you have to motivate yourself; it’s been good for me but in hindsight I wish I didn’t.
ineedthreeAs
Rep:
?
Leeds might still take you and if not you have to ask yourself if it’s worth resitting — I remember emailing them and they had a no resits policy so if that’s your dream uni then it won’t happen.

Where else would you be keen on as I remember emailing every “good” uni back in September to ask for their stance and should be able to remember for you.

I applied to Durham, Nottingham, Exeter, York and Newcastle with original grades BBD and predicted grades AAA and an LNAT score of 24.

I got offers from all but Durham and have firmed Exeter, so it’s possible but I remember Leeds saying they wouldn’t consider them and even if they say they “do consider resits”, it doesn’t mean you won’t be disadvantaged.

It’s a very dull year in truth and you have to motivate yourself; it’s been good for me but in hindsight I wish I didn’t.
But doesn't the fact that you'll be going potentially to a vastly better uni than you would've gone to had you gone with BBD make up for it? And congratulations lol. And if I resat I'd want to go to the best unis I could possibly go to, I have a shortlist lol : UCL

ucl
durham
lse
kcl
nottingham
bristol
leeds
manchester
sheffield
york
warwick
birmingham
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
None of the truly top unis 'accept' resits. They state that you will be disadvantaged by them because they prefer a student to have achieved their grades on the first sitting, but that is neither them turning a blind eye to the fact that you resat nor a flat out insta-rejection.
Last edited by JohanGRK; 5 days ago
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
But doesn't the fact that you'll be going potentially to a vastly better uni than you would've gone to had you gone with BBD make up for it? And congratulations lol. And if I resat I'd want to go to the best unis I could possibly go to, I have a shortlist lol : UCL

ucl
durham
lse
kcl
nottingham
bristol
leeds
manchester
sheffield
york
warwick
birmingham
Potentially, but if you didn’t work hard enough first time round, what’s going to change this time? That’s something you really need to ask yourself.

Of the ones you’ve listed:

Definite no’s: UCL, LSE, KCL, Bristol, Leeds

Said they’d accept but you’d likely be disadvantaged: Durham, Manchester, Warwick, Nottingham

Should be fine: Sheffield, York, Birmingham

With places like Sheffield potentially the best you can get, would that be worth doing an extra year and home and motivating yourself?

It’s a huge decision and just because I got offers there’s no guarantee for you.
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It will all be worth it when you see those honeys at Exeter
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Potentially, but if you didn’t work hard enough first time round, what’s going to change this time? That’s something you really need to ask yourself.

Of the ones you’ve listed:

Definite no’s: UCL, LSE, KCL, Bristol, Leeds

Said they’d accept but you’d likely be disadvantaged: Durham, Manchester, Warwick, Nottingham

Should be fine: Sheffield, York, Birmingham

With places like Sheffield potentially the best you can get, would that be worth doing an extra year and home and motivating yourself?

It’s a huge decision and just because I got offers there’s no guarantee for you.
This sort of tiering isn't helpful - neither you nor anyone else knows how e.g. Bristol, Leeds or Durham will react
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
None of the truly top unis 'accept' resits. They state that you will be disadvantaged by them because they prefer a student to have achieved their grades on the first sitting, but that is neither them turning a blind eye to the fact that you rest nor a flat out insta-rejection.
Having done resits, I emailed round and a few said I wouldn’t be disadvantaged (Exeter, York, Notts Durham, Sheffield etc), a few said they’d evaluate it but you may be disadvantaged (Manchester, Warwick), while Bristol, LSE, UCL, KCL and Leeds were completely transparent in saying they don’t accept resits.

Even with places like Durham who said they’d accept, you’d definitely still be disadvantaged.

I had a few personal issues combined with a lack of work to get BBD, managed to get into Exeter, Notts, York this time round so it’s possible but they’re not obviously right at the top.

I’ve worked really hard this year but it’s still been very difficult and I would advise the OP if it’s something they’d want to commit to.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
This sort of tiering isn't helpful - neither you nor anyone else knows how e.g. Bristol, Leeds or Durham will react
I emailed them before applying and asked specifically whether they’d accept resits and those were the stances.

I asked them and some point blank said they wouldn’t.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
It will all be worth it when you see those honeys at Exeter
Hopefully — it would be extremely crushing to resit and miss out again though, something I’d also suggest the OP considers.

There’s no guarantee it’ll work out for them.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hopefully — it would be extremely crushing to resit and miss out again though, something I’d also suggest the OP considers.

We'll see....stressful times :console:
999tigger
Report 5 days ago
Hi.

Doe anyone by chance happen to have a list of the best universities for Law that accept resits? As if I don't meet my offer this year I plan to resit my A-levels in the hopes of getting in to a good law course.

Thank you.
Just see what you get first and then report back or look on clearing to see whats on offer. In most cases I believe the only difference it makes is none to a slightly higher grade requirement. The other way is to work out every permutation of grades and look at whats available on clearing.

Ps unless you are absolutely desperate to go this year. then I think you are overthinking it and wasting energy. You ahve two options:

1. Based on what you get then what unis will be acceptable?
2. If there arent any acceptable then just resit.

That all depends on what you believe your ability is and determination to improve might be. I wouldnt worry about resits, it isnt a big deal and it will be round soon enough.
Last edited by 999tigger; 5 days ago
ineedthreeAs
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Just see what you get first and then report back or look on clearing to see whats on offer. In most cases I believe the only difference it makes is none to a slightly higher grade requirement. The other way is to work out every permutation of grades and look at whats available on clearing.
Thank you, I'll have a look

Definitely would be. I think then I'd have no regrets though so I'd find a different "path" at that point lol. Thank you for the information though, you've been very helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.81%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (331)
63.53%
Not yet but I am planning to (25)
4.8%
Not yet but I might (67)
12.86%

Watched Threads