Former inpatient looking for DClin application advice Watch

RobbieCCFC
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi there,

I was an inpatient in a mental health unit for 6 months (2012-2013). After discharge I went back to school, got A levels (A*AA) and recently graduated with a 1st Class degree from the University of Warwick. I have worked for just over 7 months as an Honorary Assistant Psychologist (NHS acute adult services) and I have recently secured a full-time paid role in Community LD's within the NHS. I am hoping to put my first application in for the DClin this September/October, which has led to the predicament at hand! I wondered whether it would be prudent or naive to discuss my own experience as an inpatient, as well as my own bipolar diagnosis. Thus far I have not mentioned it and I have been able to secure jobs and experience opportunities. However, might my personal experience allow me to stand out in the DClin process? Is it unique and a selling point or a red flag on an application? I appreciate this is a strange post and probably a new question, but I didn't know what forum to use as the actual clinical psychology forum seems dormant/inactive!

Many thanks,

R.
peterpotatoes
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey R,

I'm actually in a very similar position to yourself - I was an inpatient in 2013, went on to obtain A-levels and just graduated with a 1st from Goldsmiths. I've also worked for several months as a voluntary AP and will be starting my DClin applications this year to start right after my MSc. Many people have asked this question, and the important thing to note is that a history of mental health problems will not disadvantage your application. It is entirely up to you to disclose your own struggles; most DClins likely have had some kind of personal experience of mental ill health which draws them to the profession!

Essentially, it's not going to hurt you, and so it's really up to whether you feel comfortable disclosing it. If you feel that you're more empathetic towards people with mental health issues because of it, it might be worth putting!

Best,

Peter
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ask on the ClinPsy.org forum.

I look at volunteering apps for mental health and many applicants don't disclose in 2019 thinking it will be a disadvantage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%