MP's accidental Instagram story hints at a early General Election Watch

StrawberryDreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-08-13/...lection-plans/

Tory MP Damian Hinds accidentally uploaded a screenshot of his emails to his instagram story which has an email subject line that included GE2019, with GE being a common abbreviation of General Election. This has again hinted that a early general election may take place, even though MP's were quick to jump in and say it wasn't - with Damian saying that there was 'nothing to see here'.

What do you think? Do you think that there will be a early general election?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-08-13/...lection-plans/

Tory MP Damian Hinds accidentally uploaded a screenshot of his emails to his instagram story which has an email subject line that included GE2019, with GE being a common abbreviation of General Election. This has again hinted that a early general election may take place, even though MP's were quick to jump in and say it wasn't - with Damian saying that there was 'nothing to see here'.

What do you think? Do you think that there will be a early general election?
Its extremely unlikely that any MP's have been informed so i would read little into the email. At this stage only Boris and Cummings will be aware. Its reasonable that MP's suspect one may be coming though.

With regards to your question i would put the chance at 55% against an election. I do not believe Boris intends to call one himself pre-Brexit (there are 5 or 6 indies who can be relied upon pre-Brexit).

With that being said Corbyn has but one chance to strike the first week of September and so a monc will come. As said though, i believe the odds are slightly in favour of the government winning the day since i suspect some of the lab 26 may abstain.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Almost certainly, if BoJos prolific use of his purse is anything to go by. The question is whether it'll be in November or not.

to be honest he doesnt really have much of a choice though given he leads a minority government and thus ipso facto has no real mandate to lead, especially seeing as no one ever elected him.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Its extremely unlikely that any MP's have been informed so i would read little into the email. At this stage only Boris and Cummings will be aware. Its reasonable that MP's suspect one may be coming though.

With regards to your question i would put the chance at 55% against an election. I do not believe Boris intends to call one himself pre-Brexit (there are 5 or 6 indies who can be relied upon pre-Brexit).

With that being said Corbyn has but one chance to strike the first week of September and so a monc will come. As said though, i believe the odds are slightly in favour of the government winning the day since i suspect some of the lab 26 may abstain.
There has been a lot of nonsense during the Silly Season.

No 10 was briefing yesterday that they expect Corbyn’s bid to stop a No Deal Brexit would come during the second week of September.

Under the present electoral timetable that is clearly too late for a VONC resulting in a pre-Oct 31 General Election.

Yet obviously No 10 didn’t think Corbyn had missed the bus and if No 10 is right, Labour don’t think they have missed the bus.

I suspect that means a legislative bid to compel Boris to seek an extension is expected.

Noticeably this week commentators have backed away from the idea of Boris trying to cling on if another government could be formed (whilst asserting the improbability of this), which suggests that No 10 have privately turned down the volume on this nonsensical idea.

I suspect both parties have been wargaming scenarios and the wilder ideas will look awful on the TV.

I do struggle to understand the degree of reliance that the Tories are placing on Corbyn. It is another example of the political right assuming they are the only independent actors and everyone else merely reacts to what they are doing. Corbyn’s worst case scenario is to (a) fail to delay Brexit (b) have an election immediately after Brexit and (c) have that election before any chaos ensues; so why do the Tories think Corbyn will adopt policies to achieve exactly that?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (137)
13.44%
Excited (93)
9.13%
Worried (192)
18.84%
Terrified (232)
22.77%
Meh (78)
7.65%
Confused (28)
2.75%