ps7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
i know that UCL is a top uni, but if i was to miss my offfer i wonder if they would still let me in

do you know anyone who missed thier grades for UCL and didnt get in or who got in?
simdam
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
from what i've heard, in regards to clearing, UCL never puts anything on clearing. other than that you probably did fine andwill get in. you can always call them up, it's worth a shot, as you've got nothing to lose.
good luck
brightxburns
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think Biochemistry is so undersubscribed, they'll probably let you in.
Vincente
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I knew four people who made their UCL offers their firm from my previous two schools but missed their offers. All of them were rejected and when they contacted them [UCL] via the phone the answer from UCL was very straight. The subjects were economics and sciences (can't remember which ones though).
Dann
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I missed my offer AAA with AABB first time round and didn't get let in. That said, a friend of mine missed her grades for English, got rejected, and then accepted via phonecall a few weeks later. English is quite oversubscribed as well, so there is always some hope - if you don't do as well as you had hoped just hope everyone else is in the same boat!
tetedupet
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I wouldn't say Biochem is undersubscribed, there are quite a number that do it... The department also offer degrees in molecular biology, biotechnology etc, so I guess it depends how many people make their offers for degrees in the department. I know they let a girl in to do Molecular Biology who didn't do that well in her A-levels, but that was after lots of crying, begging and coming in to UCL to see the admissions tutor (so I heard anyway), but she's not that good and probably failed the first year anyway lol.
tetedupet
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not exactly, Cs and Bs I think... which subject do you think you're not going to get the grade in?
sdt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Tell them you want to do something obscure like protein science. Then in the first 2 weeks of term swap back.

Blame it on your female mind.
mvic
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Dann)
I missed my offer AAA with AABB first time round and didn't get let in. That said, a friend of mine missed her grades for English, got rejected, and then accepted via phonecall a few weeks later.
So did you just reapply the next year while re-taking one of your B grades? See, I have an AAA offer from UCL for English this year but have a strong feeling that I also got AABB... But I was under the impression UCL don't really like people applying when they are re-taking..? Also did you get a teacher to phone UCL on your behalf after you had spoken to them? I heard that unis can often be persuaded if a teacher believes in you enough to call personally.. Sorry for being so inquisitive!
Vincente
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i also heard that UCL doesnt like retake students
Not true.
Dann
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mvic)
So did you just reapply the next year while re-taking one of your B grades? See, I have an AAA offer from UCL for English this year but have a strong feeling that I also got AABB... But I was under the impression UCL don't really like people applying when they are re-taking..? Also did you get a teacher to phone UCL on your behalf after you had spoken to them? I heard that unis can often be persuaded if a teacher believes in you enough to call personally.. Sorry for being so inquisitive!
I didn't retake, I took a fifth A-Level.

As for the having someone ring UCL up, no I didn't. I can't imagine it would have been anything more than a waste of breath as when I rang admissions they told me that the course was oversubscribed - i.e. - more people than they expected achieved their offers. No department wants that.
Princess-Leah
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
All my optimism has now offically gone out of the window!!!!
lol
xxx
MediterraneanX
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The retake thing is not true, I did retakes this year, albeit one subject being because edexcel mixed my french oral and coursework up with someone else so despite being fluent in french I ended up with a U overall despite having an A for AS with nearly full marks. Obviously I didn't get into uni last year and edexcel were complete arses about it and said the only thing I could do was retake those modules and reapply this year with mitigating circumstances which is what I did, and UCL still gave me a place.
Princess-Leah
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MediterraneanX)
The retake thing is not true, I did retakes this year, albeit one subject being because edexcel mixed my french oral and coursework up with someone else so despite being fluent in french I ended up with a U overall despite having an A for AS with nearly full marks. Obviously I didn't get into uni last year and edexcel were complete arses about it and said the only thing I could do was retake those modules and reapply this year with mitigating circumstances which is what I did, and UCL still gave me a place.
That sounds a nightmare, im scared that edexcel will count up by bad grades opposed to my better retakes, which would give me an A. And i hope that they dont count my absent marks for my A2 modules as i didnt drop out but decided against them, to focuss more on my other ones. I put in the As cash in codes but i really hope they dont muck it up!!
clank
Report 11 years ago
if you dont make your offer and ring up they may offer you a place on another course... like if you miss your grades for naturak sciences they may offer you a place to read chem....i know other unis do this (rather than enter places on clearing)
Princess-Leah
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah lol i doubt they will offer me another course, if i want to study law with hispanic law! The only other option is german law, but..... i reckon thats the one thats goin to let me down, as im probs going to fail! lol
xxx
shannaham
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i really want to go to ucl to study biochem
predicted AAA for chem, bio and physics
concerned about maths though
i took the A level a year early (bad idea) and need to resit one module to get a B.. i was two marks off
will it matter if i've done the A level over three years?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads