Clearing medicine with low UKCAT? Watch

pseudo123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
So results day is in a few days and i'm absolutely bricking it. Let's say I get AAA (or higher), so my grades are fine for most medicine unis. However, when I did my UKCAT back in 2018 I messed up and ended up with 610 average and 2440 total, which is below the cutoff for most medical schools' entry requirements. I've already emailed SGUL about it and they said they'd be unlikely to consider me if I don't meet that minimum requirement for their total cut off. I was wondering if anyone knows any unis that maybe would consider a lower UKCAT if my grades are okay? My other plan was to take a gap year as I am currently preparing to retake my UKCAT on the 27th of August anyway and then apply for 2020 entry which I think may be a safer bet, but I thought not harm in trying clearing anyway!
Thanks for all your help
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by pseudo123)
So results day is in a few days and i'm absolutely bricking it. Let's say I get AAA (or higher), so my grades are fine for most medicine unis. However, when I did my UKCAT back in 2018 I messed up and ended up with 610 average and 2440 total, which is below the cutoff for most medical schools' entry requirements. I've already emailed SGUL about it and they said they'd be unlikely to consider me if I don't meet that minimum requirement for their total cut off. I was wondering if anyone knows any unis that maybe would consider a lower UKCAT if my grades are okay? My other plan was to take a gap year as I am currently preparing to retake my UKCAT on the 27th of August anyway and then apply for 2020 entry which I think may be a safer bet, but I thought not harm in trying clearing anyway!
Thanks for all your help
Keele are in clearing and provided you are not in the bottom 20% (you are not) they do not use this as part of their selection process. They do usually ask for A*AA though, but have been known to accept lower. Sunderland use the same selection criteria.
You also make Plymouth's cut off, though I do not know if they will be in clearing.
Leicester also guarantee an interview to people with achieved AAA if you meet their other requirements and are in the top 70% in UKCAT (I think you are).
Other than that, you are probably looking at redoing your UCAT and reapplying, but with achieved A levels, you will have more options open to you
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by pseudo123)
(Original post by GANFYD)
...You also make Plymouth's cut off, though I do not know if they will be in clearing....
Hence, OP, you should follow the Clearing thread and post in there for any future queries!

(It will be updated as soon as I get any information from our lovely posters)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5638684
pseudo123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Keele are in clearing and provided you are not in the bottom 20% (you are not) they do not use this as part of their selection process. They do usually ask for A*AA though, but have been known to accept lower. Sunderland use the same selection criteria.
You also make Plymouth's cut off, though I do not know if they will be in clearing.
Leicester also guarantee an interview to people with achieved AAA if you meet their other requirements and are in the top 70% in UKCAT (I think you are).
Other than that, you are probably looking at redoing your UCAT and reapplying, but with achieved A levels, you will have more options open to you
okay thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (97)
18.8%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (329)
63.76%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.65%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.79%

Watched Threads