Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Phloem cells are living cells that have companion cells that provide energy for transport, but what about xylem cells- why don't they have companion cells? Surely they need companion cells even more than phloem, as the xylem is made of dead cells.
MedKid1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The transport of water through the xylem doesn't require energy, therefore the cells don't need any organelles (e.g. mitochondria etc.) to supply energy. The water is moved via pressure gradients and diffusion so they don't need the companion cells unlike the phloem which requires energy for the sugars to move into it via active transport.
Hope this helps
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by palmtree29)
The transport of water through the xylem doesn't require energy, therefore the cells don't need any organelles (e.g. mitochondria etc.) to supply energy. The water is moved via pressure gradients and diffusion so they don't need the companion cells unlike the phloem which requires energy for the sugars to move into it via active transport.
Hope this helps
ohhh got it thanks!!!
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's better than I was going to put it, "The xylem's just a dumb tube, the Phloem has more detailed work to do"
MedKid1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
ohhh got it thanks!!!
you're welcome
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (28)
15.82%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (56)
31.64%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (20)
11.3%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
9.04%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (8)
4.52%
I think it's an unfair expectation (46)
25.99%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.69%

Watched Threads