The Student Room Group

A levels help!!!!!

Hi

At the moment I have decided I want to take french, German and geography a levels as I want to work at an airport (possibly air traffic control). However over the summer I did the NPLQ (lifeguard course) and really enjoyed it - it’s made me think that I might want to go down the route of being a paramedic! I’ve always been into helping people and love watching shows to do with paramedics. But I’ve never really wanted to continue with sciences although now I think I will need one if I want to do paramedic courses! My science target grade for GCSE is a 7.
I don’t know what to do as I’ve been sure of the subjects I wanted to take and now I feel as though I should change them and do something more fitting so I could have the option of both careers.
Do you have to have a science to do a paramedic course at University? If yes, does it have to be one of biology, chemistry or physics?
Any advice would be helpful!!!
Reply 1
Original post by Kateb11
Hi

At the moment I have decided I want to take french, German and geography a levels as I want to work at an airport (possibly air traffic control). However over the summer I did the NPLQ (lifeguard course) and really enjoyed it - it’s made me think that I might want to go down the route of being a paramedic! I’ve always been into helping people and love watching shows to do with paramedics. But I’ve never really wanted to continue with sciences although now I think I will need one if I want to do paramedic courses! My science target grade for GCSE is a 7.
I don’t know what to do as I’ve been sure of the subjects I wanted to take and now I feel as though I should change them and do something more fitting so I could have the option of both careers.
Do you have to have a science to do a paramedic course at University? If yes, does it have to be one of biology, chemistry or physics?

Hi!
First of all, don't panic! Everyone changes their mind about uni/a level subjects etc (god knows I did)
I too thought about paramedic/nursing and have looked at a few courses at various unis. Most want one science ie bio/chem etc. although some do not, I know some that work off UCAS points. Personally I would take a science in order to cover your bases.

First Hurdle, your subjects: science at A Levels is difficult...take it from a former A*/A grade GCSE science student who has struggled a fair bit in bio and chem for various reasons. You have to enjoy it some level, the work load is intense (esp in Year 13) and you have to be prepared to put in the hours. If you think you could handle this, then that's the first hurdle! I would recommend keeping with your three subjects and ask to take a fourth, so either bio or chem (personally would recommend bio). See what it's like for your first term of Year 12, if you like it/make your mind up about being a paramedic you can either keep on w/ 4 or drop one of the others.

Second Hurdle: Do some research into being a paramedic...is it something you can see yourself doing and enjoying, what do you know about it etc. Look at uni courses and see their grade requirements (probably ABB/ BBB/ BBC). See if you can get some work experience, doesn't have to be on an ambulance (in fact, unlikely to happen) but your local care home/ hospice/hospital might take on volunteers or work experience students. Can you handle being around ill people/ their relatives?

I got an A at GCSE in my 3 sciences (I did the old GCSEs- i think A is eqivalent to a 7?) and have just done bio/chem at A Level. Had some struggles esp w/ chem but so did everyone else. If I can (hopefully, come Thursday) get As, so can you! Lastly, don't not do something because you're scared/unsure/don't think you're allowed to change your mind...I made that mistake and it made my year 13 year hellish and put me under considerable pressure.

Good luck! Feel free to drop me a pm if you have any questions about A Level science/work experience in care environments (I am applying to do medicine at uni for next sept)
Further to what @BHSC has said, it's never too late to change your mind. I'm currently about to go into my final year of Paramedic Science at university and I'm due to qualify as a paramedic in September 2020, I was an IT technician before this.

One point that I'd like to make before you start considering being a paramedic is that it isn't anything like they show on the TV. It's more like 50% picking up the elderly after they've fallen and can't get up, 30% medical problems such as chest pain, abdo pain, nausea etc and then 10% trauma and 10% serious trauma.

You do come across some horrific scenes so it does take resilience but it also takes a huge amount of social skills.

I'm not trying to put you off, in my opinion it's the best job in the world and I wouldn't change it for anything!

If you feel like you want to do it, then do it! It's not for everyone but it's one of those jobs that you just have to love.

If you want to ask me anything about the paramedic course or more about what the job entails (I did over 540 hours on shift this year with WMAS) then please don't hesitate to PM me!

Monarch.
Original post by Kateb11
Hi

Any advice would be helpful!!!@

@National Careers Service please can you help :smile:
Original post by Kateb11
Hi

Hi Kate,

Great question and I am pleased to hear that your experience has inspired you.

You will need a Science either Biology or Chemistry (not physics) for university, is there any of the 3 subjects you've chosen you would be willing to switch to keep both options open?

Thanks,

Sophie.
Reply 5
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi Kate,

Great question and I am pleased to hear that your experience has inspired you.

You will need a Science either Biology or Chemistry (not physics) for university, is there any of the 3 subjects you've chosen you would be willing to switch to keep both options open?

Thanks,

Sophie.

Hi Sophie,

I think I would be willing to swap geography as I only chose it as I needed another subject and it was one of my favourites!

I’m the type of person who changes their mind and lot and don’t want to be regretting my choices - I’ve been totally committed to taking those subjects and just don’t want to make a rash decision but as many of the others said, it’s okay to change my mind!

I still have a couple of weeks to make my decision so I just need to get my results and make my decision from there.

Thanks for the help!
Reply 6
Original post by Monarch112
Further to what @BHSC has said, it's never too late to change your mind. I'm currently about to go into my final year of Paramedic Science at university and I'm due to qualify as a paramedic in September 2020, I was an IT technician before this.

One point that I'd like to make before you start considering being a paramedic is that it isn't anything like they show on the TV. It's more like 50% picking up the elderly after they've fallen and can't get up, 30% medical problems such as chest pain, abdo pain, nausea etc and then 10% trauma and 10% serious trauma.

You do come across some horrific scenes so it does take resilience but it also takes a huge amount of social skills.

I'm not trying to put you off, in my opinion it's the best job in the world and I wouldn't change it for anything!

If you feel like you want to do it, then do it! It's not for everyone but it's one of those jobs that you just have to love.

If you want to ask me anything about the paramedic course or more about what the job entails (I did over 540 hours on shift this year with WMAS) then please don't hesitate to PM me!

Monarch.

Hi

Thanks for the reply!

I just want to keep my options open so I have the opportunity to do both. I feel as though doing a science will not only help me if I decide to be a paramedic but also for other career paths (more than geography anyway).

I think I will just wait for my GCSE results and decide what’s best to do because if I didn’t do well at GCSE science a level may not be the best decision either.

I’ve been raised in a caring environment and I am fine with blood and things like that but I guess no one can prepare you for proper traumatic experiences but I guess that would just help for your future career.

Thanks for the help and good luck with your course!
Original post by Kateb11
Hi

Thanks for the reply!

I just want to keep my options open so I have the opportunity to do both. I feel as though doing a science will not only help me if I decide to be a paramedic but also for other career paths (more than geography anyway).

I think I will just wait for my GCSE results and decide what’s best to do because if I didn’t do well at GCSE science a level may not be the best decision either.

I’ve been raised in a caring environment and I am fine with blood and things like that but I guess no one can prepare you for proper traumatic experiences but I guess that would just help for your future career.

Thanks for the help and good luck with your course!

Hi Kate, Glad to hear that. Good luck with your results! and yes definitely science opens up so many doors career-wise so you'll be set if you can get one of those. If for whatever reason you do something else and change your mind in a few years down the line and decide that you do want to be a paramedic, you can always do an access course. I didn't do Science A levels so I had to do this 1 year course which allowed me to join the paramedic course, but it also would allow me to apply to the nursing, occupational therapy, operating department practitioner courses etc.

In regards to the type of jobs a paramedic gets sent to, it's probably not the gory ones that will affect you but it definitely helps to not be squeamish!

Monarch.
Reply 8
Hi

Just another question - could geography count as a science (meaning it would be counted to get into a paramedic course)? Because online geography and psychology do count as sciences!!!
Original post by Kateb11
Hi

Just another question - could geography count as a science (meaning it would be counted to get into a paramedic course)? Because online geography and psychology do count as sciences!!!

Hi Kate!

I highly doubt it unfortunately, when they mean sciences they usually ask for it in Biology and would consider chemistry and maybe even physics but as geography is not relevant to the profession, they would more than likely not take it into consideration.

Monarch.
Reply 10
Hi Kate!

I highly doubt it unfortunately, when they mean sciences they usually ask for it in Biology and would consider chemistry and maybe even physics but as geography is not relevant to the profession, they would more than likely not take it into consideration.

Monarch.

Thanks Monarch

How about psychology?
Again potentially they will look at it and it would work in your favour but it's not going to be the only thing you'd need to get a place at uni.

For example, the coventry university requirements for paramedic science BSc say that you need 3 a levels to include a science subject which I think is safe to assume Biology Chem or physics.

It might be worth contacting a few universities to see what their definition of a science subject is.

Monarch.
Reply 12
Again potentially they will look at it and it would work in your favour but it's not going to be the only thing you'd need to get a place at uni.

For example, the coventry university requirements for paramedic science BSc say that you need 3 a levels to include a science subject which I think is safe to assume Biology Chem or physics.

It might be worth contacting a few universities to see what their definition of a science subject is.

Monarch.

Thanks for the advice - I’ll have a look into it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending