4 AH's, aye or nay Watch

laura10203
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I got 3 A's and 2 B's in my Highers. I planned on doing three advanced higher (maths, phys, chem) and nat 5 french which I would then sit the Higher exam for, if allowed.
However, I just found out that I could fit 4 advanced highers (maths, physics, chemistry, biology) and french in my timetable. I plan on applying for theoretical physics or astrophysics and I'm targeting Oxbridge, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Durham and Glasgow.
Should I go for it or is it too much if I only got 3 A's at Higher?
Joviality
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Far too much, imo. AH’s are a completely different kettle of fish to Highers. It would be better to have say 3 good passes in AH’s than to spread yourself too thinly and get 4 Cs or even Ds. Having said that, only you will know whether you would be capable of it, but I’ve never heard of anyone doing 4 AH’s (successfully or otherwise!). I think also unis down south only require 3 AH’s so doing more wouldn’t really give you any more of an advantage, and if you’re applying to Oxbridge they’ll expect 3 As straight away (sometimes they even specify a band 1 A etc). I would forget french (it doesn’t seem to be much use anyway considering what you want to do - you can always learn it on the side) and stick with maths, phys and chem to give yourself the best shot!
Last edited by Joviality; 5 days ago
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by laura10203)
I got 3 A's and 2 B's in my Highers. I planned on doing three advanced higher (maths, phys, chem) and nat 5 french which I would then sit the Higher exam for, if allowed.
However, I just found out that I could fit 4 advanced highers (maths, physics, chemistry, biology) and french in my timetable. I plan on applying for theoretical physics or astrophysics and I'm targeting Oxbridge, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Durham and Glasgow.
Should I go for it or is it too much if I only got 3 A's at Higher?
In agreement with what Joviality has said here! You'd be much better getting 3 A band 1s (Cambridge/Oxford have been known to specify) than AABB or something (though that would of course still be a great set of grades!).

A small number of people do manage 4 AHs in a year, but it's not really recommended, and with 5 subjects you'd have no school time to be able to study (nevermind do the projects for the 3 sciences), s sticking to 3 would probably be the best option.
Roses555
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi, I am going to begin studying at St Andrews next month, and, they ask for highers as qualifications mainly. However, even Oxbridge only ask for 3 advanced highers, I'd suggest if you would like to study 3 advanced highers, just study them and no other highers. It is far too much work otherwise and you would not want to weaken your grades giving yourself too much work to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (15)
16.67%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (13)
14.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (22)
24.44%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (33)
36.67%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (1)
1.11%
No particular grades needed (6)
6.67%