depression and school Watch

anoymoy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
it’s the six weeks and i’ve gone into a tailspin of anxiety and depression. I have no idea how i’m going to cope with this complete nervous breakdown before i go into year 11.

i’m wondering if anyone has any tips for managing mental health during exam season?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Respect.Global
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anoymoy)
it’s the six weeks and i’ve gone into a tailspin of anxiety and depression. I have no idea how i’m going to cope with this complete nervous breakdown before i go into year 11.

i’m wondering if anyone has any tips for managing mental health during exam season?
I'd suggest reaching out to your GP or youth health services before it gets any worse. GPs deal with anxiety and depression on a daily basis and are best equipped to deal with it. But you should really go to your GP, believe me when I say you don't want this affecting your senior phase of high school.

Now obviously you can make an appointment yourself and it's totally confidential. You could also reach out to your parents and tell them whats going on, however knowing how peoples minds work, we don't like showing vulnerability so you probs won't do that but it is something to think about.

GP is your best bet though, some counselling or CBT and maybe some antidepressants, you should start to feel more controlled and less stressed.

Hope you get the help you need. And feel free to ask any questions.
anoymoy
Rep:
?
hi,

thank you so much.

I’ve actually already reached out to my GP and he told me that i wasn’t ‘ill enough’ for treatment. So at the minute i have no idea what to do.

I was seeing a counsellor at school so i’ll probably go back to see her around exam time but i have no idea how to cope in the meantime.
Respect.Global
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hi,

thank you so much.

I’ve actually already reached out to my GP and he told me that i wasn’t ‘ill enough’ for treatment. So at the minute i have no idea what to do.

I was seeing a counsellor at school so i’ll probably go back to see her around exam time but i have no idea how to cope in the meantime.
Wow really, I live in Scotland so maybe it's a lot different here but I got an appointment the next day with the mental health services. I guess it really does depend on severity but I wouldn't say I was at crisis point. I guess your just a victim of the system that doesn't put early intervention first anymore and wants people to reach crisis point.

School counsellors are a great start though, especially if your symptoms get worse, they can pressure your GP to get you better treatment.

And btw, that's amazing that you've reached out for help, its a rare thing among people our age.

Best of luck and hope things improve
anoymoy
Rep:
?
thank you so much.

I live in Wales and the system is stressed to breaking point, but i told him that i feel like i’m at a crisis point and he still didn’t refer me, which really sounds quite harsh to me. He said he’ll look for counselling services nearly but can’t promise anything, not filling me full of hope. i’ve heard that my doctor isn’t very good with mental illness from a few people, but i feel that it should be taken more seriously.

Thank you. The counsellor told me to see her before the end of term because she wanted to see if i would cope but i was out for 2 weeks on PE coursework, so i’m really hoping she calls me back in September so i can talk to her about maybe speaking to my GP.
Respect.Global
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
thank you so much.

I live in Wales and the system is stressed to breaking point, but i told him that i feel like i’m at a crisis point and he still didn’t refer me, which really sounds quite harsh to me. He said he’ll look for counselling services nearly but can’t promise anything, not filling me full of hope. i’ve heard that my doctor isn’t very good with mental illness from a few people, but i feel that it should be taken more seriously.

Thank you. The counsellor told me to see her before the end of term because she wanted to see if i would cope but i was out for 2 weeks on PE coursework, so i’m really hoping she calls me back in September so i can talk to her about maybe speaking to my GP.
That's good, but damn that makes me so sad to hear you're not being taken seriously. Also, if the GP isn't right, you could just ask to see another one, personally I'm a guy, so when it comes to GPs I normally go with women ones, I feel that they get more done for you. Bit sexist but it's from my personal experience.
anoymoy
Rep:
?
i agree, i feel that women are more sympathetic and tend to see that you are struggling more than men. He is the only GP in the surgery because i’m from a very small town, but i might be moving to a different GP surgery. Thank you for all your help!’
Respect.Global
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i agree, i feel that women are more sympathetic and tend to see that you are struggling more than men. He is the only GP in the surgery because i’m from a very small town, but i might be moving to a different GP surgery. Thank you for all your help!’
No problem and definitely move practice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%