How to keep urself motivated while depressed Watch

Mollyy2002
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I feel extremely depressed this whole summer it got even worse and when I got my results today it peaked I’ve been feeling like absolute ****
I mean ik what I need to do to fix my grades and everything will be great but rn I wish things would’ve worked out the easy way for me.

I dont know how to motivate myself when I feel like I have nothing to look forward to for the next year,I miss the rest of my family and I dont feel like myself...I wanted to apply for cambridge 2020 but with my grades I’ll have to wait to even be considered.

I know myself and I know I’m willing to put in sm work because its so important to me but I’m confused because at the same time I’m not happy.

I wanna be able to keep myself happy,motivated and focused on doing well in A levels but I feel like everything is falling apart and I feel mentally exhausted.Let me know what I could do to do well in school and keep in check with my mental health
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Have you been to see your GP? All the things you've mentioned can be related to depression and stress.
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Have you opened up about this to anyone? That would help a lot.

Sounds like you will be taking a gap year while retaking exams? Don’t worry there’s absolutely no rush to go to university. I do sometimes wish I took a year or 2 extra out before going.

You have 1 year to get some awesome experiences. It could be travelling,part time work,learning to drive. Do things you know will make you feel better that’s how I get my motivation.

Don’t worry about Cambridge there’s other alternatives and great universities out there.

Best thing one of my teachers ever told me is “everything works out alright” always remind yourself of this when times get tough
23c
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Mollyy2002)
I feel extremely depressed this whole summer it got even worse and when I got my results today it peaked I’ve been feeling like absolute ****
I mean ik what I need to do to fix my grades and everything will be great but rn I wish things would’ve worked out the easy way for me.

I dont know how to motivate myself when I feel like I have nothing to look forward to for the next year,I miss the rest of my family and I dont feel like myself...I wanted to apply for cambridge 2020 but with my grades I’ll have to wait to even be considered.

I know myself and I know I’m willing to put in sm work because its so important to me but I’m confused because at the same time I’m not happy.

I wanna be able to keep myself happy,motivated and focused on doing well in A levels but I feel like everything is falling apart and I feel mentally exhausted.Let me know what I could do to do well in school and keep in check with my mental health
As someone who has depression this sounds all too familiar. the first thing which will keep you feeling less drained is sleep. try to get a multiple of 4 hours a night! I know this sounds stupid but because of the sleep cycle, 4 hours of good sleep are better that 6. 8 hours and better than 10 etc. Also make sure you get out of the house. I find that I do not work effectively if I haven't gone out for a day. Even a half an hour walk or an evening drive helped me to clear my head and I felt slightly refreshed after. Try and get out everyday! one thing that helped me which my parents were sceptical about was having a study buddy. Someone to call and do flashcards with or teach subjects which you are stronger on to.

Another useful way to keep you motivated is to arrange things to do. For example go to the cinema one evening or shopping on the weekend. treat yourself and reward yourself for hard work. and try to only work if its effective. the minute you get distracted have a 30 minute break and don't even think about work, then get back to it!

As for Cambridge how amazing! Personally I don't think I would be able to handle the pressure but this is because I put so much pressure on myself that I would explode! You are on summer now I suppose so that gives u 2 weeks or so now to relax and let your hair down before you go back to school! try to recharge so you feel rejuvenated and ready to take on your final year. I take medication for my mental health however starting a new medication before a levels may not be the best idea as it can **** up your head a bit.

go to the doctor! Talk your stress and feelings through with them and they will be able to advise you properly regarding therapy or medication if need be! your grades are not everything. its stupid that they can determine your future but what I tell myself is that if I don't get the grades then I would obviously struggle at that University so it isn't meant to be. Good luck I hope I have helped even a little!
Mollyy2002
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Pathway)
Have you been to see your GP? All the things you've mentioned can be related to depression and stress.
I dont have a GP,I don’t usually go to the doctor or hospital unless its really necessary because of my parents
Mollyy2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
Have you opened up about this to anyone? That would help a lot.

Sounds like you will be taking a gap year while retaking exams? Don’t worry there’s absolutely no rush to go to university. I do sometimes wish I took a year or 2 extra out before going.

You have 1 year to get some awesome experiences. It could be travelling,part time work,learning to drive. Do things you know will make you feel better that’s how I get my motivation.

Don’t worry about Cambridge there’s other alternatives and great universities out there.

Best thing one of my teachers ever told me is “everything works out alright” always remind yourself of this when times get tough
Yes I’ve spoken to my dad about it quite seriously which was really difficult for me to do but necessary.I also told him that I wanted to speak to a doctor about it,he was really understanding but never really understood it in the way I needed him to.I guess he’s one of those people that doesn’t really understand mental illnesses or believe in them
This was over a year ago and I brought it up to him about 3 times he said we could do something about it but then forgot about it as time went on and I guess that made me feel like I really wasn’t important to him because in a way he disregarded how I was feeling
Mollyy2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by 23c)
As someone who has depression this sounds all too familiar. the first thing which will keep you feeling less drained is sleep. try to get a multiple of 4 hours a night! I know this sounds stupid but because of the sleep cycle, 4 hours of good sleep are better that 6. 8 hours and better than 10 etc. Also make sure you get out of the house. I find that I do not work effectively if I haven't gone out for a day. Even a half an hour walk or an evening drive helped me to clear my head and I felt slightly refreshed after. Try and get out everyday! one thing that helped me which my parents were sceptical about was having a study buddy. Someone to call and do flashcards with or teach subjects which you are stronger on to.

Another useful way to keep you motivated is to arrange things to do. For example go to the cinema one evening or shopping on the weekend. treat yourself and reward yourself for hard work. and try to only work if its effective. the minute you get distracted have a 30 minute break and don't even think about work, then get back to it!

As for Cambridge how amazing! Personally I don't think I would be able to handle the pressure but this is because I put so much pressure on myself that I would explode! You are on summer now I suppose so that gives u 2 weeks or so now to relax and let your hair down before you go back to school! try to recharge so you feel rejuvenated and ready to take on your final year. I take medication for my mental health however starting a new medication before a levels may not be the best idea as it can **** up your head a bit.

go to the doctor! Talk your stress and feelings through with them and they will be able to advise you properly regarding therapy or medication if need be! your grades are not everything. its stupid that they can determine your future but what I tell myself is that if I don't get the grades then I would obviously struggle at that University so it isn't meant to be. Good luck I hope I have helped even a little!
Thank you,this definitely helps!

I guess the problem that I have is that I have no one to really openly talk to about how I’m feeling with no judgment all I want is to talk about how I’m feeling and for someone to listen to me in a way thats understanding and acknowledging rather than giving me solutions that I have already tried and don’t work
23c
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Mollyy2002)
Thank you,this definitely helps!

I guess the problem that I have is that I have no one to really openly talk to about how I’m feeling with no judgment all I want is to talk about how I’m feeling and for someone to listen to me in a way thats understanding and acknowledging rather than giving me solutions that I have already tried and don’t work
I 100% understand this. Sometimes someone willing to listen can make the biggest difference
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%