A level choices Watch

maria_pineappe
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I am about to start sixth form in September but I still don't know what a-level subjects to pick. I don't know what job I want to do in the future and I enjoy pretty much all subjects. The only a-level I am sure of taking is Maths as i enjoy it and it is versatile. I also want to try economics for a year I feel it will be useful to have that knowledge (I didn't take econ at GCSE) I also enjoy sciences. Chemistry was my favourite at GCSE. I found biology less enjoyable as it was mainly memorisation. Physics was interesting but i found certain aspects hard at GCSE.My favourite subject has always been French. I love the idea of learning a new language and found it enjoyable. Ive heard it gets more interesting at a-level and so really want to take it however it won't compliment the other subjects very well.So far I am thinking of taking: Maths, Economics, French and a science (I don't know which to choose) however I am not satisfied with these choices as I don't think they go well... it just seems a bit randomWhat a level options would you advise i should take. I wouldn't mind taking any its just hard narrowing it down to four/ three
captainamerica77
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by maria_pineappe)
I am about to start sixth form in September but I still don't know what a-level subjects to pick. I don't know what job I want to do in the future and I enjoy pretty much all subjects. The only a-level I am sure of taking is Maths as i enjoy it and it is versatile. I also want to try economics for a year I feel it will be useful to have that knowledge (I didn't take econ at GCSE) I also enjoy sciences. Chemistry was my favourite at GCSE. I found biology less enjoyable as it was mainly memorisation. Physics was interesting but i found certain aspects hard at GCSE.My favourite subject has always been French. I love the idea of learning a new language and found it enjoyable. Ive heard it gets more interesting at a-level and so really want to take it however it won't compliment the other subjects very well.So far I am thinking of taking: Maths, Economics, French and a science (I don't know which to choose) however I am not satisfied with these choices as I don't think they go well... it just seems a bit randomWhat a level options would you advise i should take. I wouldn't mind taking any its just hard narrowing it down to four/ three
seeing you like a very broad spectrum of subjects... Id recommend you study materials sciences... you have physics, chemistry and maths in it and youll also have language courses at unis... so those are the 3 A levels you should do... and some unis have econ and business modules too!! Good luck!!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
maria_pineappe
Rep:
?
(Original post by captainamerica77)
seeing you like a very broad spectrum of subjects... Id recommend you study materials sciences... you have physics, chemistry and maths in it and youll also have language courses at unis... so those are the 3 A levels you should do... and some unis have econ and business modules too!! Good luck!!
thank you I'll definitely consider that combination do you think doing maths chemistry physics and french would work well or would it be better to take econ instead of French. French/ Econ I would take for one year and get an AS level in them.
captainamerica77
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
thank you I'll definitely consider that combination do you think doing maths chemistry physics and french would work well or would it be better to take econ instead of French. French/ Econ I would take for one year and get an AS level in them.
hmm... French is more valued and you can do an econ degree with a french and maths A level...
学生の父
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi. Maths, French, Chemistry and either Biology or Physics would be a good broad combination. Economics isn't really necessary at A-level for any future studies. It's pretty much an end to itself.

That combination would open up most STEM subjects at university, and would give you the option of taking a year abroad in a Francophone country.
maria_pineappe
Rep:
?
(Original post by 学生の父)
Hi. Maths, French, Chemistry and either Biology or Physics would be a good broad combination. Economics isn't really necessary at A-level for any future studies. It's pretty much an end to itself.

That combination would open up most STEM subjects at university, and would give you the option of taking a year abroad in a Francophone country.
Thank you that was very insightful. If i wanted to take a business course at uni would it be better to take economics. I feel like it would give me a good base knowledge (also my dad is keen on me taking it)
Crapaud8
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Ask you sixth form if you can take four A-levels at the start then switch after 2 weeks if you don't like one, that's what my sixth form did. Then, if you feel like you have too much work you can do an as in one or just drop one.
Maths, French and a science or two are good options, they'll open a lot of doors for you later on.
maria_pineappe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crapaud8)
Ask you sixth form if you can take four A-levels at the start then switch after 2 weeks if you don't like one, that's what my sixth form did. Then, if you feel like you have too much work you can do an as in one or just drop one.
Maths, French and a science or two are good options, they'll open a lot of doors for you later on.
Thank you that's a good idea.
学生の父
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Thank you that was very insightful. If i wanted to take a business course at uni would it be better to take economics. I feel like it would give me a good base knowledge (also my dad is keen on me taking it)
Maths and French would also be very good for business! Quite frankly if you did a business studies degree, you would be taught all the economics you needed there. Doing two sciences would also give you the option of doing e.g. Chemistry or Physics with business or management at Bath, Birmingham or Imperial. You don't need economics for any of those programmes, but French could well be useful.
maria_pineappe
Rep:
?
(Original post by 学生の父)
Maths and French would also be very good for business! Quite frankly if you did a business studies degree, you would be taught all the economics you needed there. Doing two sciences would also give you the option of doing e.g. Chemistry or Physics with business or management at Bath, Birmingham or Imperial. You don't need economics for any of those programmes, but French could well be useful.
Thank you for all your help
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Try entering different combinations of subjects into this: https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer
maria_pineappe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Try entering different combinations of subjects into this: https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer
thanks i will
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (65)
17.81%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (229)
62.74%
Not yet but I am planning to (19)
5.21%
Not yet but I might (52)
14.25%

Watched Threads