Midget's Journey To Tall Dreams (2nd Year LLB 19/20) Watch

MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
20/10/19

Wow okay, so I've realised that I'm actually pretty awful at keeping up with this! So I have a feeling this is going to be more of a spontaneous blog as opposed to a structured one where I'm posting every week.

So, I got some awesome news this week! I've been accepted for a pro-bono scheme working with the Criminal Centre for Appeals! - What this means is that I'll get to work alongside solicitors to review cases of those believed to be wrongly convicted and can't afford legal representation. We look into any evidence put forward by them, or put against them to see if we can find any anomaly that maintains their innocence. (Through interviews, chronologies, forensic paperwork analysis) these cases then get sent back to the Court of Appeal for reconsideration. I start my training on the appeals process next week, I can't wait

Academics;
So, I've been struggling a little with my mental health lately so I haven't managed to get as much work done as I would have liked, but I am getting help for it so hopefully things will go in a more positive direction!

• Constitutional - As much as I find constitutional law extremely interesting, it's dawned on me that it's becoming quite the ballache. I'm up to my eyeballs in reading lists on the legal/political constitutions. The reading isn't easy either, it's laden with political jargon, and as someone that previously wasn't all that fussed about politics, it's been difficult to get my head around it. I've tried to help myself by creating a political glossary though, and it seems to be helping a lot so far!

• Contract - I'm loving contract so far! At the moment we haven't covered anything new, we're going over the issues of formation that we studied last year but on a much deeper level. Issues with third parties and intention seems to be the main focus so far, and we have our formative assessment question on the "Battle of Forms", luckily I made a copious amount of notes on this last year though so hopefully this shouldn't be too hard to tackle.

• Criminal - Still my favourite subject so far, we're covering sexual offences at the moment and I genuinely didn't think I'd hear a lecturer mention dildos so much within a two hour lecture, but there you go! I'm finding this topic the easiest so far, although the process is still very much mechanical, there appears to be a number of controversial issues in this area so it's enough to keep me on my toes!

To Do This Week -
  • Finish off my reading for my contract seminar - Reliance in contractual formation, the battle of forms and the effect of third parties in formation.
  • Prepare a presentation on the legal vs. political constitution - I'm basing mine around the idea of conflict, comparing the views of Griffith and John Laws.
  • Attend training for the criminal justice scheme
  • Find a textbook for crim (apparently the law on theft has been recently updated)
  • Events planning for the videogame society - We're planning some kind of Halloween ghost walk, so this could be fun!
Thank you to anyone actually reading this btw, I've noticed I have the tendency to ramble a lot. :rofl:
Last edited by MidgetFever; 3 weeks ago
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
congrats on the scheme!
I AM GROOT 1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
:woo:Congrats on the pro-bono scheme well deserved :yep:
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
congrats on the scheme!
(Original post by I AM GROOT 1)
:woo:Congrats on the pro-bono scheme well deserved :yep:
Thanks guys! :woo:
I'm genuinely really surprised I got a place! The person doing the interviews was so intimidating and I thought it showed a lot in what I was saying, I don't think I've stuttered so much in all my life. :rofl:
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Oooft, so my formative question has been released for Constitutional Law for those that are interested.

"Select one of the Constitutional principles you are familiar with (the Rule of Law, Separation of Powers or Parliamentary Sovereignty). To which extent, if at all, does the Supreme Court's decision in Evans v AG vindicate the principle you have chosen? Show, with evidence, the extent of this vindication"

We only have 1.2k words to write it in though, so this could be interesting. :rofl:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (83)
18.65%
Labour (185)
41.57%
Liberal Democrats (91)
20.45%
Green Party (33)
7.42%
Brexit Party (15)
3.37%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.35%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.12%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)