A-level combinations for Geography/English Lit Watch

livelyrao
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Idk for sure what I would like to do at uni. But I'm planning on doing Geography or English Lit. What A-level combinations would you recommend?
Currently, I'm planning on doing English Lit, Geography and Biology/Chemistry (idk if my choice will be good enough for me to do Eng Lit at Uni).
If you are doing Geography/English Lit at uni, please send help (:
Thank you (:
Last edited by livelyrao; 4 days ago
lemmens
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by livelyrao)
Idk for sure what I would like to do at uni. But I'm planning on doing Geography or English Lit. What A-level combinations would you recommend?
Currently, I'm planning on doing English Lit, Geography and Maths (idk if my choice will be good enough for me to do Eng Lit at Uni).
Thank you (:
I’m not studying either so mine may not be the best advice, but I am going into y13 and have friends interested in both so will pass on their research.

For English Lit, it’s often desired that you have another essay subject, such as history or a modern language. Whereas for geography, there doesn’t tend to be any specific requirements alongside geography itself. So I’d recommend swapping maths for an essay-based subject that you enjoy and are interested in.

If you then decide geography is for you, you could always pick up an EPQ in something related to emphasise your passion although this isn’t required.

A-levels are challenging and it’s important that you choose subjects you have a genuine interest in. I hope this helps in some way, and I’m sure you’ll end up taking the right subjects and get where you want to be in the end
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
livelyrao
Rep:
?
(Original post by lemmens)
I’m not studying either so mine may not be the best advice, but I am going into y13 and have friends interested in both so will pass on their research.

For English Lit, it’s often desired that you have another essay subject, such as history or a modern language. Whereas for geography, there doesn’t tend to be any specific requirements alongside geography itself. So I’d recommend swapping maths for an essay-based subject that you enjoy and are interested in.

If you then decide geography is for you, you could always pick up an EPQ in something related to emphasise your passion although this isn’t required.

A-levels are challenging and it’s important that you choose subjects you have a genuine interest in. I hope this helps in some way, and I’m sure you’ll end up taking the right subjects and get where you want to be in the end
Thank you so much for your advice! I love French and I was actually planning on doing it but at my school I can't do it as there is a timetable clash and they only have one French class.

I haven't done GCSE History so I can't do that (and I never enjoyed it).

A-level Biology and Chemistry is usually suggested for Geography but I'm terrible at practicals and idk if I will pass them aha. If I did do a science then my A-Levels wouldn't be ideal for Eng Lit degree, idk what to do:/

Also, I would defo link Geography in my EPQ, thank you for the great idea! I wish you the best for year 13, I'm sure you'll smash them (:
Last edited by livelyrao; 4 days ago
lemmens
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Thank you so much for your advice! I love French and I was actually planning on doing it but at my school I can't do it as there is a timetable clash and they only have one French class.

I haven't done GCSE History so I can't do that (and I never enjoyed it).

A-level Biology and Chemistry is usually suggested for Geography but I'm terrible at practicals and idk if I will pass them aha- idk what to do:/
Also, I would defo link Geography in my EPQ, thank you for the great idea! I wish you the best for year 13, I'm sure you'll smash them (:
That’s such a shame, what does it clash with? Because that would’ve made a perfect third choice!! And definitely don’t take history then, I know people that have done well without the GCSE in it but they all had a strong passion for it.

Biology would be a good idea, my friend who loves geography says it’s helpful to her. And as for practicals, I do chemistry and you don’t actually have to be good at them to do well- like so long as you understand the concepts and what’s going on, you’ll be fine. The practical exam is not related to the A-level at all!!

Are you leaning more towards geography? If so, then I’d consider biology or chemistry (whichever you prefer content wise) or just keep with your maths. But if you are leaning more towards English, perhaps take psychology or english language and I’d enquire about French, see if there’s anything your college can do. Or if there’s anywhere nearby you could study it. In fact, maybe start with four a-levels and once you’ve got into them, drop the one you don’t enjoy/don’t need.

No worries, linking my uni subject to my EPQ has helped me massively when writing my personal statement!! Aw bless you, thank you And best of luck for your GCSE results and year 12!!
livelyrao
Rep:
?
That’s such a shame, what does it clash with? Because that would’ve made a perfect third choice!! And definitely don’t take history then, I know people that have done well without the GCSE in it but they all had a strong passion for it.

Biology would be a good idea, my friend who loves geography says it’s helpful to her. And as for practicals, I do chemistry and you don’t actually have to be good at them to do well- like so long as you understand the concepts and what’s going on, you’ll be fine. The practical exam is not related to the A-level at all!!

Are you leaning more towards geography? If so, then I’d consider biology or chemistry (whichever you prefer content wise) or just keep with your maths. But if you are leaning more towards English, perhaps take psychology or english language and I’d enquire about French, see if there’s anything your college can do. Or if there’s anywhere nearby you could study it. In fact, maybe start with four a-levels and once you’ve got into them, drop the one you don’t enjoy/don’t need.

No worries, linking my uni subject to my EPQ has helped me massively when writing my personal statement!! Aw bless you, thank you And best of luck for your GCSE results and year 12!!
They have two Eng Lit classes and French clashes with one of them and the other one clashes with Geography. It's honestly such a shame, I enjoyed French so much. I only applied to my school sixth form and another one (which I got rejected from aha but they said to come back if I get good results).

Also, thank you for the advices again!! You are making me feel less stressed about this whole thing! In the practials, do we have to pass them in one go or do we get multiple chances?

Like you suggested, I'm planning on taking four a-levels and then dropping one (:

Aww thank you so much for your wishes!!
TigerTia
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Currently, I'm planning on doing English Lit, Geography and Maths (idk if my choice will be good enough for me to do Eng Lit at Uni).
Thank you (:
I have a friend doing the exact same A levels and she is hoping to do a degree in environmental sciences. I would say that you’ve chosen well because it leaves lots of degree courses open while still choosing challenging a levels that universities value
livelyrao
Rep:
?
(Original post by TigerTia)
I have a friend doing the exact same A levels and she is hoping to do a degree in environmental sciences. I would say that you’ve chosen well because it leaves lots of degree courses open while still choosing challenging a levels that universities value
Thank you for letting me know! I might do Bio or Chem rather than Maths as I find it hard and idk how well I did in my GCSE :/
lemmens
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
They have two Eng Lit classes and French clashes with one of them and the other one clashes with Geography. It's honestly such a shame, I enjoyed French so much. I only applied to my school sixth form and another one (which I got rejected from aha but they said to come back if I get good results).

Also, thank you for the advices again!! You are making me feel less stressed about this whole thing! In the practials, do we have to pass them in one go or do we get multiple chances?

Like you suggested, I'm planning on taking four a-levels and then dropping one (:

Aww thank you so much for your wishes!!
Fancy the chances!! But hopefully you’ll do well and maybe get accepted there? Wherever you go, I think it will be okay

Don’t mention it!! I’m so happy to hear that, it’s a big decision but honestly not worth stressing over.

Passing the practicals is not difficult, everyone in my class is on track to including the people that mess around so I wouldn’t worry too much. You just have to do the practical and then write about it, making sure you meet the competencies given but there’ll be lots of people to help and they’re pretty straightforward. You have to get a green in each competency at least once so you’ll be just fine as there are lots of chances to get this. The methods can all be found on the exam board website and I really wouldn’t let the practicals put you off say bio if you enjoy it. I hated practicals at GCSE and now I really like them!!

Yup, that’s probably the best idea.
livelyrao
Rep:
?
Fancy the chances!! But hopefully you’ll do well and maybe get accepted there? Wherever you go, I think it will be okay

Don’t mention it!! I’m so happy to hear that, it’s a big decision but honestly not worth stressing over.

Passing the practicals is not difficult, everyone in my class is on track to including the people that mess around so I wouldn’t worry too much. You just have to do the practical and then write about it, making sure you meet the competencies given but there’ll be lots of people to help and they’re pretty straightforward. You have to get a green in each competency at least once so you’ll be just fine as there are lots of chances to get this. The methods can all be found on the exam board website and I really wouldn’t let the practicals put you off say bio if you enjoy it. I hated practicals at GCSE and now I really like them!!

Yup, that’s probably the best idea.
Yepp I hope so Depending on my results, I will probs choose between Chem or Bio as my third subject, but idk if that will be good enough for Eng Lit. I wish I knew exactly what I wanted to do at uni ahaha.
lemmens
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Yepp I hope so Depending on my results, I will probs choose between Chem or Bio as my third subject, but idk if that will be good enough for Eng Lit. I wish I knew exactly what I wanted to do at uni ahaha.
You do English Lit so that’s the main thing. And you can do super-curricular stuff if you do decide to study it, like an EPQ in something English related, reading books, doing an online course, learning French in your free time etc. You can always write in your personal statement that your enthusiasm came whilst studying it at a-level which would explain the lack of other essay subjects. Plus bio, for AQA at least, involves an essay in one of the papers. So don’t worry about it, there are many things you can do to make sure you still have a strong application!! )
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Thank you (:
I'd highly recommend something like 'religious studies and ethics' - extremely, extremely interesting and very easy to do well in. A lot of it is common sense and you will already know most of the content if they cover Christianity because English Lit is full of symbols, metaphors and motifs related to the religion.

Otherwise, I'd recommend doing a foreign language. Very fun and useful!
livelyrao
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
I'd highly recommend something like 'religious studies and ethics' - extremely, extremely interesting and very easy to do well in. A lot of it is common sense and you will already know most of the content if they cover Christianity because English Lit is full of symbols, metaphors and motifs related to the religion.

Otherwise, I'd recommend doing a foreign language. Very fun and useful!
Thank you! I think I will do Eng Lit, a language/RS, Geog and Bio/Chem. Then, I will later drop one, for me I don't think I can handle four a-levels as everyone says it's hard.
livelyrao
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
You do English Lit so that’s the main thing. And you can do super-curricular stuff if you do decide to study it, like an EPQ in something English related, reading books, doing an online course, learning French in your free time etc. You can always write in your personal statement that your enthusiasm came whilst studying it at a-level which would explain the lack of other essay subjects. Plus bio, for AQA at least, involves an essay in one of the papers. So don’t worry about it, there are many things you can do to make sure you still have a strong application!! )
Sorry I only just saw this! That's so helpful thank you! I never thought about still learning French if I didn't do it for a-levels but if I did it, it will be helpful. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (86)
17.77%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (312)
64.46%
Not yet but I am planning to (23)
4.75%
Not yet but I might (63)
13.02%

Watched Threads