Year 13 Watch

Emily.hann.xo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey, I’m going into year 13 and struggled a little in year 12, any advice for going into year 13?
Thank you xx
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
HGS345
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Emily.hann.xo)
Hey, I’m going into year 13 and struggled a little in year 12, any advice for going into year 13?
Thank you xx
This was my A-Level study methods. I don't like being arrogant, but I won't lie either. I would consider them a bulletproof method and you'll be hard pressed to find a method better than this:
- Taught myself all the content as soon as I could. Started this approach in December, was done by 1st week of February. (You should start from September if you can, and aim to learn everything by end of November/December)
- It may feel daunting thinking of teaching yourself everything, but I'm sure you did that with most of your Year 12 studies anyway And after a few days you get used to it as your brain starts getting into the hang of processing everything without having to be lectured at to understand
- Type your notes up on Microsoft Word, ideally not a book as you'll want to edit it later
- Make sure your notes are simple, straight to the point, no BS, no extra detail, just make sure you understand the concept (I had about 20 pages of notes for each module, single sided paper). If your textbook has a crappy explanation, just watch a youtube video. Many 5 minute videos literally simplify 3-4 pages worth of information, sometimes even an entire topic
- Write your notes in a way that if someone else were to read them, they would understand
- Also, remember, a picture can explain a thousand words, so diagrams are very helpful
- After you've covered everything, go through the specification to see if you've missed anything out.
- Then start practice questions alongside revision. Ideally you want to go through your notes at least once a week from February till May/Exam time, that way you'll have gone over it enough times that, regardless of how bad you are at memorising, it will no doubt stick in your head.
- Get comfortable answering practice questions on each topic before you attempt past papers

I got A*AA using these techniques (Bio/Maths/Chem). Though I was a few marks off A* on the other two subjects so I'd say they served me pretty well. Hopefully they will help you as well

And please try to stick to learning the material all, before attempting practice questions. Learning knowledge and applying knowledge are two different skill sets, and working on both simultaneously is impractical and inefficient. They're require the brain to work in two different mindsets which is taxing. Easier to get content out the way, then work on applying that knowledge
Last edited by HGS345; 1 week ago
HGS345
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you xx
Feel free to DM me if you have any other concerns or questions by the way.
Adz2042
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you xx
You'll be fine. Just enjoy it & remember to make as many friends as you possibly can.
Keep studying hard. This year will be the toughest it's been yet, but also remember, first year of uni is the most relaxing year.
So it pays off. Best of luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%