The Student Room Group

Can't decide on what uni course to do - help!

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by rina42
Up until the summer holidays I thought I was set on studying international relations/international development with French but now I'm not so sure.

I've been looking into job prospects relating to these courses and didn't find many jobs (those that I did find didn't interest me) and I don't want to graduate with a useless degree.

I study sociology, French, and business studies and sociology is by far my favourite, although I wouldn't like to have a career in it. I really like French and though I'm doing average in it (about grade B/C) and am the worst in my class which really decreases my motivation to study for it, I'd still like to do it as a joint degree because it would increase employability and would come in useful if I would get a job with international travel or something along those lines which would be ideal. With business, I've literally lost all hope mostly because it's the most boring lesson and though I understand the content, my exam answers are always marked down due to not enough context or application and bad time management so I don't really have the motivation to study for it either.

In regards to my hobbies, I've recently become interested in F1 and so I started looking at jobs in that field. I've found that jobs to do with communications, digital marketing and event coordination sound perfect for me. The problem is that I'm not sure I would like to study those subjects at uni for 3-4 years since I'm already not enjoying my business lessons which cover a bit of the content that marketing/communications etc involve.

If anyone could give me an insight into how studying IR/marketing/communications is or could give me any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Personally I’d suggest studying what you love and pick up extra-curricular activities and placement years whilst you’re at uni.

I studied history, graduated had a successful career in HR (business) in a London and then moved in various roles in marketing, student advocacy, and I also now work for myself as a therapist and yoga teacher.

I loved my degree but it was the volunteering/ work at uni that helped me develop skills that employers wanted. Your degree isn’t useless, but you’re wasting the experience if all you focus on is your degree and not much else.

Universities are amazing training grounds for personal growth and skill development. I had no idea what I wanted to do when I graduated. I thought I might want to teach which is why I did history... turns out I didn’t, but I ended up working in education further down the line.

What would you like from your uni experience?
:smile:
Original post by rina42
Up until the summer holidays I thought I was set on studying international relations/international development with French but now I'm not so sure.

I've been looking into job prospects relating to these courses and didn't find many jobs (those that I did find didn't interest me) and I don't want to graduate with a useless degree.

I study sociology, French, and business studies and sociology is by far my favourite, although I wouldn't like to have a career in it. I really like French and though I'm doing average in it (about grade B/C) and am the worst in my class which really decreases my motivation to study for it, I'd still like to do it as a joint degree because it would increase employability and would come in useful if I would get a job with international travel or something along those lines which would be ideal. With business, I've literally lost all hope mostly because it's the most boring lesson and though I understand the content, my exam answers are always marked down due to not enough context or application and bad time management so I don't really have the motivation to study for it either.

In regards to my hobbies, I've recently become interested in F1 and so I started looking at jobs in that field. I've found that jobs to do with communications, digital marketing and event coordination sound perfect for me. The problem is that I'm not sure I would like to study those subjects at uni for 3-4 years since I'm already not enjoying my business lessons which cover a bit of the content that marketing/communications etc involve.

If anyone could give me an insight into how studying IR/marketing/communications is or could give me any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Original post by She-Ra
Personally I’d suggest studying what you love and pick up extra-curricular activities and placement years whilst you’re at uni.

I loved my degree but it was the volunteering/ work at uni that helped me develop skills that employers wanted. Your degree isn’t useless, but you’re wasting the experience if all you focus on is your degree and not much else.

Hi there!
100% agree with She-Ra on this- don't just do a degree "because it's employable".
Yes some subjects (e.g. STEM) are in high demand and have a high employment rate, but if you're studying something you don't enjoy you won't do as well, so your degree will be worth less anyway.

Ensure you have some extra-curricular activities to do in your spare time- either continue ones you already have or pick them up!
My mum works as a graduate recruiter in a company (so she knows the "criteria" workplaces have for graduates), and you won't get all the necessary skills solely from doing your degree. Yes, teamwork and leadership skills can be learned during group projects, but every graduate in the country will have also done that.
As She-Ra said, volunteering is fab for developing you as a person- I'm a Scout Leader for my local unit and it's taught me a lot.

Back to what subject to do, if you don't want a career in Sociology that's fine. I would definitely go for a joint degree with French if you can (and if you think you will enjoy it).
I know nothing about marketing and all that jazz, but if you search up a few uni courses you may be able to have a look at the modules.
Ring a couple of unis to find more info, they will be happy to help you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending